PDA

View Full Version : Usher S520

walpurgis
10-12-2014, 22:44
I've been using these dinky Usher S520 speakers for the last couple of weeks, since buying them from Conan (carlos).

http://i60.tinypic.com/70xuue.jpg

They really are rather good, excellent driver integration, no noticeable colourations and quite an even, beefy sound for such a small speaker. No artificially boosted or bloated bass, it's very clean. Transparency into the recording is decent too with a good sense of depth. The top end seems very extended and smooth, despite some reviewers saying they were a little bright at the top. Not on my system they aren't, but I'm using Class A amps, maybe the reviewers used something a bit 'grittier' sounding.

I can't really find fault with these, even if they don't sound like my big Tannoys.

struth
10-12-2014, 22:51
I remember you pipping me to them :D

walpurgis
10-12-2014, 23:02
:ner: :D

southall-1998
10-12-2014, 23:12
Very interesting, Geoff.

If you fancy building a ''small speaker'' collection. If I may, add the Neat Acoustics (Petite) to your list.

An expectational musical and communicative performer. Good resale value too, in case you don't like them!!

S.

walpurgis
10-12-2014, 23:23
Very interesting, Geoff.

If you fancy building a ''small speaker'' collection. If I may, add the Neat Acoustics (Petite) to your list.

An expectational musical and communicative performer. Good resale value too, in case you don't like them!!

S.

Nope. Next speakers will be 'specials'. I've already bought all the parts (apart from some bits from the timber merchant). These will be 'different' and quite large! All will be revealed after Christmas. ;)

struth
10-12-2014, 23:26
:ner: :D

:spank:

southall-1998
10-12-2014, 23:30
Nope. Next speakers will be 'specials'. I've already bought all the parts (apart from some bits from the timber merchant). These will be 'different' and quite large! All will be revealed after Christmas. ;)

I predict a resurrected Jamo D 365 :D

S.

Andrei
10-12-2014, 23:51
I can't really find fault with these, even if they don't sound like my big Tannoys.
Usher seems to be a good brand that would be on my shortlist if I were looking to change. Are you doing the comparison in the same room?

walpurgis
10-12-2014, 23:55
I predict a resurrected Jamo D 365 :D

S.

Again. Nope.

Although horn drivers may be involved as the super tweeter arrangements (if any) are not decided. But this will be basically a full range single driver speaker with quoted 94db sensitivity. I'm hoping for a relatively flat response from 40Hz to at least 18kHz (that's where a supertweeter may come in). I've already done a crude test of the main driver and it is extremely revealing. Wait and see. :)

walpurgis
10-12-2014, 23:56
Usher seems to be a good brand that would be on my shortlist if I were looking to change. Are you doing the comparison in the same room?

Yes. Alongside the Tannoy Cheviot II speakers.

Beobloke
11-12-2014, 08:24
Absolutely superb little speakers and one of the (very!) few components that David, Noel and I all completely agreed on when I worked for Hi-Fi World! :D

Marco
11-12-2014, 10:40
Hi Adam,

Where is David working these days? I thought he was with HFC, but looking at it, their editor is listed as Lee Dunkley.

Marco.

Beobloke
12-12-2014, 10:30
Lee has been the editor of HFC for a while now, but David is still writing for them as a contributor. He has a few other non-audio related jounalistic irons in the fire currently but faithfully promises not to desert the hi-fi industry completely. I've told him I'll confiscate his NS1000s if he does!

Marco
12-12-2014, 13:47
Thanks for the update, Adam, and give him my best when you next speak to him :)

Marco.