PDA

View Full Version : Interest Check...

Mike
11-08-2009, 23:08
I'm considering parting with my Martin Logan Sequel II's... They're the ones that can be seen in my avatar. The panels are singing very sweetly indeed since rebuilding the crossovers, but I just can't get the bass right in my room.

Open to sensible offers. Probably. ;)

Mike
12-08-2009, 22:10
Erm, actually, forget it, just had a fantastic listening sesh!

Yeah the bass is a bit loose in my room, sometimes. But!... I'm not parting with this fantastic midrange loveliness :smoking:

I is gonna keep em. So there! :ner:

No longer for sale... unless you is gonna offer silly money! Mine. Mine Mine!!!! ;)

Barry
13-08-2009, 19:07
Erm, actually, forget it, just had a fantastic listening sesh!

Yeah the bass is a bit loose in my room, sometimes. But!... I'm not parting with this fantastic midrange loveliness :smoking:

I is gonna keep em. So there! :ner:

No longer for sale... unless you is gonna offer silly money! Mine. Mine Mine!!!! ;)

£50 - is that silly enough for you? Seriously, if I had the money and the room, Martin Logans are the only speakers I would choose to replace my Quads. I would have been disappointed had you sold them! :smoking:

Regards

DSJR
13-08-2009, 19:44
Judging by the pic on your avatar and my fairly limited experience of them (although KJ sell a good few today I'm told), I'd suggest pulling them further out from the rear wall. Not only would it minimise cancellations from the rear wall, but may tauten the bass and further improve driver integration..

US timber-frame builds tend to absorb bass, whereas our concrete/brick boxes can make speakers boom too much.

Mike
13-08-2009, 19:54
The picture is a bit deceptive, and was taken very soon after plonking them in the room. There's well over a meter of clear space behind them, could do with more but pulling them much further would just make the room rather daft.

I'll try it though... nothing wrong with pulling them forward for listening and then pushing them back again afterwards. :)

The room's too small for them really, but what the hell! ;)

Cheers...

Clive
13-08-2009, 21:23
What are the room dimensions? You might be able to apply dsp to the bass, it's very possible you have troublesome room modes. Most "normal" sized UK rooms do....

Mike
13-08-2009, 21:32
It's a 4M x 4M x 2M box, and it definitely has a mode or two! ;)

Some form of room treatment is on the cards when I finally get around to it...

Clive
13-08-2009, 21:48
It's a 4M x 4M x 2M box, and it definitely has a mode or two! ;)

Some form of room treatment is on the cards when I finally get around to it...
Very close to my room except I have a bay off one side. I have serious modes at 33Hz (Q of 10, 8db high and 76Hz, Q of 5, 5db high).

As you have active bass I'm thinking you could hook in a dsp processor to null out the modes. This is what I do with XTZ amps now but previously I used a Behringer DEQ2496 (a cheaper option and very effective).

Mike
13-08-2009, 21:52
Passive bass on those ML's I'm afraid. :(

Clive
13-08-2009, 21:56
Passive bass on those ML's I'm afraid. :(
Shame. If bi-wired you could still drive the bass from an SS amp but then this starts to get complicated. Changing your speakers won't help the bass unless the replacement speakers have no bass. Continue to love the mid and think about diy tube traps would be my 2p-worth.

Mike
13-08-2009, 22:01
A bloody carpet would help! :lol:

But SWMBO is having non of that. Actually, neither am I, I laid that solid oak floor myself. Hard work it was! ;)