PDA

View Full Version : My Pioneer cd is starting to skip....

Ninanina
05-12-2014, 23:46
As some may know I am using a Pioneer DV717 as a transport and unfortunately it now seems to be skipping a bit more than it should..

Being so cheap I purchased a second 717 as a 'spare' .. which has just been sitting in the rack not even powered up, so if this one is trashed I will just put it in the skip and use the spare one...

There may well be a better transport than the cheapo Pioneer's but I reckon I'd have to shell out a fair bit to better them..

It's good when a plan comes good.. :D

synsei
06-12-2014, 00:00
As some may know I am using a Pioneer DV717 as a transport and unfortunately it now seems to be skipping a bit more than it should..

Being so cheap I purchased a second 717 as a 'spare' .. which has just been sitting in the rack not even powered up, so if this one is trashed I will just put it in the skip and use the spare one...

There may well be a better transport than the cheapo Pioneer's but I reckon I'd have to shell out a fair bit to better them..

It's good when a plan comes good.. :D

Don't throw it out Bev, the chances are it'll be a minor issue. I'm happy to give it the once over if you are happy to ship it to me ;)

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 00:08
Don't throw it out Bev, the chances are it'll be a minor issue. I'm happy to give it the once over if you are happy to ship it to me ;)

You are a star Dave... if I continue to have problems with it I will ship it to you to be "Dave'd"... :D

synsei
06-12-2014, 00:14
You are a star Dave... if I continue to have problems with it I will ship it to you to be "Dave'd"... :D

PM me if you get to that stage and we can sort something out :)

struth
06-12-2014, 00:59
Clean the laser tracking bars and then put graphite on them...Most likely that.

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 01:15

Thanks Grant... but I know nothing about "laser tracking bars"... what are they ? and are they easy to see if I open her up ?

I happen to have some graphite powder, which I've used on my car locks...

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 01:17
PM me if you get to that stage and we can sort something out :)

Cheers Dave... I'll see how she goes ... ;)

synsei
06-12-2014, 01:21
Thanks Grant... but I know nothing about "laser tracking bars"... what are they ? and are they easy to see if I open her up ?

I happen to have some graphite powder, which I've used on my car locks...

You need a very steady hand to do the job as there are things on the laser carriage which are easily broken if forced. Having said that, it's not a difficult task to perform when you know what your doing. I'd be happy to talk you through it either on the phone or via Skype. The latter would be better as I will be able to guide you through it with the aid of the video link ;)

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 01:27
You need a very steady hand to do the job as there are things on the laser carriage which are easily broken if forced. Having said that, it's not a difficult task to perform when you know what your doing. I'd be happy to talk you through it either on the phone or via Skype. The latter would be better as I will be able to guide you through it with the aid of the video link ;)

Thanks so much Dave... I will see how she is over the next few days, in case it's just certain cd's she doesn't like.. ;)

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:02
Thanks so much Dave... I will see how she is over the next few days, in case it's just certain cd's she doesn't like.. ;)

No worries. Hopefully that is all it is. You'd be amazed how many peeps throw CDP's away because they think the laser is on its way out, when in actual fact all that is wrong is that the rails the laser carriage runs on are gunk'ed up with years of accumulated dust and fluff.

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:12
No worries. Hopefully that is all it is. You'd be amazed how many peeps throw CDP's away because they think the laser is on its way out, when in actual fact all that is wrong is that the rails the laser carriage runs on are gunk'ed up with years of accumulated dust and fluff.

So maybe I'm a bit "gunk'ed up"..... I've had worse.... :eek:

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:16
So maybe I'm a bit "gunk'ed up"..... I've had worse.... :eek:

Not sure how to respond to that, so best not to, I don't know you well enough. Anyway, I like to kid myself that I am a gentleman... :D

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:19
I was supposed to be visiting Poole tomorrow but unfortunately our dog-sitter let us down, so it'll just be the missus and my stepdaughter... On the plus side, I get full use of the volume control... :guitar:

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:22
, I like to kid myself that I am a gentleman... :D

Oh come on Dave .... I know you are a gentleman... now how do I know that???... god knows!! ... it sounded good though... :doh:

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:26
Still got some toons on...

Love Over Gold - Dire Straits .... forgot how good this is as not listened to it for ages..;)

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:29
Still got some toons on...

Love Over Gold - Dire Straits .... forgot how good this is as not listened to it for ages..;)

Band On The Run by Wings here. Previously on synsei's system, Wings At the Speed Of Sound ;)

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:32
For some reason I just can't stand Paul McCartney, I can't explain it.... but I just don't like him... ;)

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:38
I have a craving to go for a blast on the m/bike...but sadly I've probably had just one wine too much... shame.. I'd love to be out there now...:)

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:41
For some reason I just can't stand Paul McCartney, I can't explain it.... but I just don't... ;)

He could sometimes be a bit of a twonk, but I like the music he wrote for Wings. I'm not so keen on his Beatles stuff though... :eyebrows:

synsei
06-12-2014, 02:44
I have a craving to go for a blast on the m/bike...but sadly I've probably had just one wine too much... shame.. I'd love to be out there now...:)

Nah, best not risk it if you've been drinking, especially early on a Saturday morning. I like to drive at night, I just get in the car and I'll end up wherever it happens to take me. Last time I went for a night time drive I ended up in my old stomping grounds in North Kent... :lol:

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:44
He could sometimes be a bit of a twonk, but I like the music he wrote for Wings. I'm not so keen on his Beatles stuff though... :eyebrows:

For some reason because I don't like him I can't listen to any of his music... I may well be missing out but there you go.... Beatles is JUST a little bit before my time but I do have one cd which I quite like.. can't rememeber which one it is though...

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 02:47
Nah, best not risk it if you've been drinking, especially early on a Saturday morning. I like to drive at night, I just get in the car and I'll end up wherever it happens to take me. Last time I went for a night time drive I ended up in my old stomping grounds in North Kent... :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one then... I love riding at night on the bike... I've only had a little wine but I will never risk my licence... maybe I'll get out tomorrow .. It's a bit cold but have plenty of warm clothing for it...

synsei
06-12-2014, 03:05
I'm glad I'm not the only one then... I love riding at night on the bike... I've only had a little wine but I will never risk my licence... maybe I'll get out tomorrow .. It's a bit cold but have plenty of warm clothing for it...

Yeah, wrap up warm and just point your wheel in a particular direction and follow it, fun times :)

Right, that's me for the night. Thanks for the chat Bev, it has been fun. I'm going to read for a wee while and then pack down, goodnight hun ;)

Ninanina
06-12-2014, 03:06
Yeah, wrap up warm and just point your wheel in a particular direction and follow it, fun times :)

Right, that's me for the night. Thanks for the chat Bev, it has been fun. I'm going to read for a wee while and then pack down, goodnight hun ;)

Night, thanks for the chat...

Audio Al
06-12-2014, 04:01
Bev

Is it skipping like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ4jMSCBswY

Makes me want to skip as well :D

Spectral Morn
06-12-2014, 08:56
Mod Note Thread Moved because Strokes of Genius is for reviews

I hope you get this fixed Bev

Regards Neil

fatmarley
06-12-2014, 09:25

Yep, fixed DVD players and computer drives by cleaning and lubing the tracking bars. I didn't know graphite was the stuff to use though. I use white grease with teflon.

The Black Adder
06-12-2014, 09:29
I've always used nothing for lubrication as it attracts dust. Simply wipe the rails with IPA on a Q-Tip.

Hope you get it working, Bev.