PDA

View Full Version : Caiman Mk 2 DAC Chip

electroid
05-12-2014, 01:35
Is the Caiman Mk 2 DAC Chip still using the Wolfson WM8716 DAC chip at its core like BM MK2 ?
I had pops/clicks issues with the BM MK2 before under OSX + Audirvana Plus if you set 24/96. Redbook 16/44 was fine with silence....24/96 had a random stream of chirps otherwise.

EDIT : I have to say though I found the BM MK 2 I sold in a different league than other DAC's I used.

mkrzych
05-12-2014, 10:34
Is the Caiman Mk 2 DAC Chip still using the Wolfson WM8716 DAC chip at its core like BM MK2 ?
I had pops/clicks issues with the BM MK2 before under OSX + Audirvana Plus if you set 24/96. Redbook 16/44 was fine with silence....24/96 had a random stream of chirps otherwise.

EDIT : I have to say though I found the BM MK 2 I sold in a different league than other DAC's I used.

Yes, it is Wolfson DAC chip. Don't remember which one exactly, probably WM8523G, but not sure. Maybe BM MK2 doesn't have also any mute/silence detection circuity as well.

reddave
05-12-2014, 23:53

Don't know if its the same chip, but if it is, don't you think that its amazing how using sound engineering practices, good quality research and decent low cost components can transform sound quality even when the same or comparable components are used ?
Makes you wonder why other manufacturers have to raise their prices so much for so little sonic gain.
Can't understand why someone hasn't tried to copy Beresfords example.
Yet

electroid
06-12-2014, 02:38
I see no reason why there is so much secrecy about the internals on this Beresford stuff....if another company wants to copy the stuff they will simply buy it and tear it down...meanwhile us lot/consumers are left in the the dark with various key elements on this stuff....whereas other companies list everything in the specifications tab for their gear. Misguided paranoia basically.

electroid
06-12-2014, 02:43
Maybe BM MK2 doesn't have also any mute/silence detection circuity as well.
Well after reading your problem same as I had on BM MK2, I think this mute/silence detection circuity should be added...I'm no fan of roundtrip international shipping and double import taxation if the paperwork is not in order.

I think 'no mute/silence detection circuity' was an advertising feature of BM MK2 to show that the noise floor was so low that it was thought to be not needed.....

mkrzych
15-12-2014, 11:24
Well after reading your problem same as I had on BM MK2, I think this mute/silence detection circuity should be added...I'm no fan of roundtrip international shipping and double import taxation if the paperwork is not in order.

I think 'no mute/silence detection circuity' was an advertising feature of BM MK2 to show that the noise floor was so low that it was thought to be not needed.....

Fully understand you, I am not a fan of the roundtrip shipping back and forth. It is like it is, unfortunately.

reddave
15-12-2014, 15:02

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S2/tc-7534.htm
sorry if I'm a bit thick, could you point that out for me, please. Not too good with technical jargon

maxrob200
15-12-2014, 23:23
I suppose how the chip is implemented dictates the overall sound quality, however I am just as curious to know what chip is utilised in the CII. A number of DAC manufacturers seem to be going over to the Sabre chip, presumably for DSD/DXD support? But on the other hand, some companies still swear by the properties of the venerable Philip TD1541 chip.