PDA

View Full Version : Technics turntables, headshells and cartridges

gav
24-03-2008, 20:25
Hi,

A question if I may, please bear in mind that I am new to all this and what I am about to ask may be daft.

I have recently acquired a Technics SL1700 and while I can hear that there is potential there it is along way from it being where it could be.

Thinking about improving things it is obvious that I cannot use the headshell on the SL1700 to take advantage of the vast array of cartridges that are available for the SL1200 as the fittings for the cartridge are different.

However it would appear that the fitting at the end of the tone arm between it and the headshell are identical in both the SL1200 and the SL1700. Is this correct? If it is does this mean that I could simply replace the headshell and open up a whole new world of possibilities?

Steve Toy
25-03-2008, 01:15
Hi Gav.

We might need some pics of the headshell you have or someone (Marco) may need to pay you a visit to have a look before anyone can advise further.

I do know that tonearms and headshells (and most bits) for all Technics turntables seem to cost buttons so the possibilities for you may yet prove to be as endless as the cartridge upgrades possibilities you mention. It would certainly seem that mass production coupled with excellent Japanese engineering would explain why you have hit upon a bargain that could easily be improved upon without breaking the bank or into a sweat.

Marco
25-03-2008, 09:52
Steve,

Pass my telephone number on to Gav and ask him to give me a call. I can sort this out no problem and it will be much quicker than doing it here :)

Marco.

StanleyB
25-03-2008, 18:03
One very good Technics tonearm to consider is the EPA501H. Not a mass produced arm, but a scarce high-end piece of kit that fetches £350 or more on eBay. I am close to selling one of mine as well since I can only play one...

Marco
25-03-2008, 19:04
Sensi,

When you get the 'urge' to sell it make sure and let me know ;)

Marco.

StanleyB
25-03-2008, 19:16
Sensi,

When you get the 'urge' to sell it make sure and let me know ;)

Marco.
PM me if you are serious. I am not looking for eBay type prices, since that includes the fleebay fees etc. I shall dig the camera out and take some pics for you in case you are not familiar with this master piece. Recently serviced by Thru as well.

Marco
25-03-2008, 19:28
I am very serious, as always :)

It will depend though if someone can fit it for me to my SL-1210, including wiring it with the Cardas tonearm cable and fitting the fluid damping trough currently attached to the existing Technics arm...

Maybe Thru or J7?

If I have to send it to KAB in the States to get done then it might be a no-goer, as I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping, etc.

Pop some pics up and we'll take it from there. If all my needs above are fulfilled, and the arm's in good nick, then you could have a deal.

Marco.

scoobs
26-03-2008, 18:46
Marco FYI
The arm in question here with it's 'H' suffix is made for High compliance carts, so maybe not ideal for the 103pro.

Marco
26-03-2008, 18:59
Ah, now that puts a whole different perspective on things...

I was actually going to ask Sensi that question, as looking at the picture of one on the Web it looked a bit 'lightweight' in terms of mass.

Cheers, Nick :)

Marco.

gav
13-05-2008, 21:26
Just wanted to say thank you to Marco, for all the help and advice over the past few weeks, I am very happy with the cartrdige and am enjoying listening to my records like I hav never heard them before :-)

Marco
13-05-2008, 22:16
No worries, mate. I'm glad you're enjoying your cartridge :smoking:

At least I know that with that one you'll not be ruining your records!

Marco.