PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Arcam System - Alpha 6 Amp, Alpha 5 Tuner, DV79 DVD Player

Ripley's Cat
01-12-2014, 12:08
OK -

After failing miserably to sell my Arcam amp & tuner a couple of weeks back, the two miscreants have been joined by a newer (and silver!) stable-mate, a DV79 DVD Player (now that a Blu-Ray player is on it's way).

All working & in good condition.

Remote control inc. with DVD player. One thing to note - original drive went kaput about three/four years back and I replaced it with an IDE Pioneer drive - has worked flawlessly since (but as such, non-original for the sake of disclosure). Should say, it sounds good as a CD player . . . although I'm sure you know that already!

No cables - but all can be demoed working.

Collection only - and I'm thinking that this might be the problem - as I'm in Lincolnshire . . .

Mrs. Ripley's Cat has put her foot down (in a most particularly dramatic fashion) - and these really must go.

So - if I say offers of between £70 and £80 (for all three separates), there might be a glimmer of interest? Or indeed, any offer that you - and any other forum members who wish to chip in - consider fair.

In hope,
Matt

Ripley's Cat
06-12-2014, 13:21
Hi -

Quick bump & have found box for DVD player. Can post for £16.40 - Parcelforce 48.

Currently listed *ahem* 'elsewhere' for £40 or best offers + postage.

Can accept a little lower . . . £35 + p&p?

Matt

istari_knight
06-12-2014, 13:30
Thats a good price for the DV79. Can I ask, how noisy is it when reading discs ? I tried replacing a faulty transport in a DV27A [they all use the same one I believe, along with Linn, Naim & Primare!] but every IDE drive I fitted span the disc way too fast so it was really noisy like a PC... I was looking into flashing the firmware to reduce the read speed but never got anywhere with it.

Ripley's Cat
06-12-2014, 14:27
Hi James -

A really good question. And yes, it hadn't escaped my notice that all the high-end manufacturers were employing the use of the DSL-710A drive - and it would seem, with something like a 100% failure rate.

Re. noise - for CDs, hardly any at all. A few clicks at the start (TOC check, I guess) and a brief second of a quiet 'whoosh' and then nothing at all.

DVDs - marginally noisier (just?) than CDs (DVD playing now as I type) - a very, very gentle whirring noise.

But definitely not 'really noisy like a PC'.

The Pioneer drive was an early (and expensive) DVD-writer that originally sat in a G4 PowerMac. Probably engineered to a decent spec - and didn't feature particularly high access speeds, from what I remember. Have attached a photo, to show the 'garden shed tech' level of the job!!!

Ripley's Cat
06-12-2014, 17:16
£50 delivered for the DVD player, for anyone who is interested . ..

Quite keen to get it shifted before the mad Christmas rush . . .

Can be in the P.O. Monday morning!

Matt

Ripley's Cat
06-12-2014, 17:39
Arcam amp & tuner now sold to agk (Andrew), subject to payment.

Peace,
Matt

istari_knight
06-12-2014, 19:47
Hi James -

A really good question. And yes, it hadn't escaped my notice that all the high-end manufacturers were employing the use of the DSL-710A drive - and it would seem, with something like a 100% failure rate.

Re. noise - for CDs, hardly any at all. A few clicks at the start (TOC check, I guess) and a brief second of a quiet 'whoosh' and then nothing at all.

DVDs - marginally noisier (just?) than CDs (DVD playing now as I type) - a very, very gentle whirring noise.

But definitely not 'really noisy like a PC'.

The Pioneer drive was an early (and expensive) DVD-writer that originally sat in a G4 PowerMac. Probably engineered to a decent spec - and didn't feature particularly high access speeds, from what I remember. Have attached a photo, to show the 'garden shed tech' level of the job!!!

Thanks for that, very interesting ! I mounted one in a similar fashion [lump of wood & some mastic :D] Well its a bargain for someone.

Ripley's Cat
07-12-2014, 14:33
Arcam DVD player now sold.
The photo of the lump of wood & blu-tac must have been the final persuasion . . .
Still, a disc-spinner with Wolfson WM8740 Dacs for £50 should make someone delighted.

If only I had the need (& space) for more hi-fi . . . . .