PDA

View Full Version : Technical advice please

as500yam
26-11-2014, 20:34
Good evening,

Thanks for a friendly warm welcome to the Forum.

I'm just wondering what to do with all the cds I have in order to play them through the system that I'm in the process of building ?

Just taken delivery of a Yamaha AS 500 Amp & considering transferring my large collection of cd music to a device to connect to the Amp & Speakers etc., then offload the cds.
I've heard that updating an existing laptop with heavier RAM & an external hard drive may be the answer incorporating uploading cds to a music library. Alternatively, I'm not impressed by the Brennan system but the Cocktail Audio 2TB system may work.

Appreciate any assistance please, as yet, I've not made a decision on speakers or devices.

Many thanks

Steve

struth
26-11-2014, 21:24
I rip mine to external HDD by using EAC in Flac format. I replay them mostly using Foobar 2000, out from usb socket to a usb/ spdif convertor and then out to a dac. You can also get usb dac's all in one; I have a couple as well. Both EAC and Foobar are free programs. You can upgrade your ram if needed but is not essential. Just try to have as little running as possible on laptop. I would say my rips are as good and imo better than the cd's;)

walpurgis
26-11-2014, 21:42
I'm just wondering what to do with all the cds I have in order to play them through the system that I'm in the process of building ?

I use a CD player. Works a treat! :D

Markiii
26-11-2014, 21:43
You may not care but your not legally allowed to rip and then dispose of the CDs

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:17
Cheers & thanks

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:18
Ok cheers & noted. CD player added to Xmas list :)

walpurgis
26-11-2014, 23:22
Steve. Did you have a specific reason for wanting to rip the CDs? Space saving maybe?

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:22
Cheers & many thanks for prompt response. Will investigate systems accordingly - great advice yhanks

Steve

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:28
I use a CD player. Works a treat! :D

Sounds like a plan !! 😃

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:31
Yes space saving - nagging wife !!:rolleyes:

as500yam
26-11-2014, 23:40
You may not care but your not legally allowed to rip and then dispose of the CDs

Apparently there's new legislation just come out (October 1st) you can make a personal copy as long as you have legally obtained the cd you are copying, it is for personal use and not directly or indirectly making a profit to passing on to anyone else. So as long as I don't then sell on the Cd's I copy but just dispose of them then that's fine ? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/2361/regulation/3/made

Markiii
27-11-2014, 00:07
If you keep the cd you bought your fine, if you dispose of them, the license to use the music on them goes with the cd

struth
27-11-2014, 00:30
I know a few who have done this and ended up regretting it down the line. Try and find a place to store then just in case, even if it is just the discs. as for the new law, it will possibly be dependant on being able to prove you bought them all re receipts etc, if they so desired to press the point(not they they are necessarily going to)

maxrob200
27-11-2014, 01:40
IMHO, it's is worthwhile keeping the CD's in case the ripped files get corrupted or if the hard disk crashes and the data is lost.

Eagle owl
27-11-2014, 06:25
I'm old fashioned, I prefer to pick up a Cd or record, start it playing, read the notes and sup an ale or two :cool:

Firebottle
27-11-2014, 07:21
I'm old fashioned, I prefer to pick up a Cd or record, start it playing, read the notes and sup an ale or two :cool:

......but isn't that the proper (perfect) way to listen to your music......

:cool: Alan

jandl100
27-11-2014, 08:16

There's a lot of us about - and I think it sounds better, too. ;) - I've not yet heard a streamer I'd choose to listen to for musical enjoyment. But I've not heard any of the fancy high £ticket ones; Lampizator, NVA etc.

as500yam
27-11-2014, 12:33
I'll buy a bigger house thanks. Personally don't want to get rid, but I have a wife. Many thanks for all ideas. BTW saw the legend Robert Plant 2 weeks ago - bleeding brilliant. Guess he wont have to worry about cd storage :)

Cheers
Steve

AS500 only at mo :/

PaulStewart
27-11-2014, 17:53
Apparently there's new legislation just come out (October 1st) you can make a personal copy as long as you have legally obtained the cd you are copying, it is for personal use and not directly or indirectly making a profit to passing on to anyone else. So as long as I don't then sell on the Cd's I copy but just dispose of them then that's fine ? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/2361/regulation/3/made

If you keep the cd you bought your fine, if you dispose of them, the license to use the music on them goes with the cd

I was contacted today, as a board member of the British Photographic Council as it happens, to say that the Musicians Union and the industry umbrella body MusicUK are taking the government to judicial review over this thieves charter they introduced at the behest of their mates in Google. The legislation runs contrary to the Berne Convention on copyright and EU law on the subject, so we will have to wait and see. One thing is for sure though, the licence is with the physical carrier, even if you have the receipts if you sell the CD, you sell the licence to use the music, so ripping and selling will still be an offence. FWIW, the BPC as the photographic industry body, are supporting the musicians in this.

RichB
27-11-2014, 19:18
I was contacted today, as a board member of the British Photographic Council as it happens, to say that the Musicians Union and the industry umbrella body MusicUK are taking the government to judicial review over this thieves charter they introduced at the behest of their mates in Google. The legislation runs contrary to the Berne Convention on copyright and EU law on the subject, so we will have to wait and see. One thing is for sure though, the licence is with the physical carrier, even if you have the receipts if you sell the CD, you sell the licence to use the music, so ripping and selling will still be an offence. FWIW, the BPC as the photographic industry body, are supporting the musicians in this.

Paul, I'm a bit confused here... what is the specific concern with the legislation? Is it that people shouldn't be ripping the CD at all?

I'm struggling a bit to understand what the potential alternatives are.. I'd be interested to know the industry view, given the concerns artists have about streaming services (spotify et al).

Apologies for the thread hijack, but as someone who buys music in all formats, often second hand and has ripped all of my CDs and loads of vinyl I want to know I'm doing the right thing by the artists I love. Happy to take the discussion offline.

Light Dependant Resistor
27-11-2014, 20:03
My understanding is that one is not permitted to distribute music works that are subject to copyright. However in the case of backing up music you have purchased gives you rights as the owner. What is termed as mechanical copyright opens when you use formats that are themselves subject to copyright, such as MP3 http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

It is wise to use better sounding formats such as flac and ogg which are free software formats, ideally also your operating system should be free software too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJi2rkHiNqg

Also with streaming services or download services to support creative commons music that breaks free from traditional copyright
http://creativecommons.org/music-communities

There is lots of scope to improve upon the original CD. DBX companding is a good example where the deficiencies of CD players to handle dynamics is revealed, but improved upon when companding is deployed.

I presently use yamaha CDHD1500 hard disk recorders, that comply with copyright by not allowing copies either of the hard disc or ripped CD. My other storage is as flac files.

DSJR
27-11-2014, 20:14
I think Alex_UK has the best idea for this... he ripped his CD's to a large hard drive, duplicated this in case of failures, removed and disposed of the jewel cases from the CD's but kept the artwork which saved him loads of space, then packed his CD collection into neat storage boxes and put them in a spare cupboard out of the way, or even up in the loft, I forget which :)

walpurgis
27-11-2014, 20:21
Steve. If you are considering using a CD player, you could do a lot worse than Mark's Sonographe offered here in OAS 'Private Exhibitions':

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?35330-FS-Conrad-Johnson-Sonographe-SD22-CD-Player&p=599887#post599887

as500yam
27-11-2014, 22:08
Hi All,
Many Thanks to you all for your input. I have a few options to consider now and seemed to have unintentionally opened a can of worms over the copyright legislation ! Obviously I don't want to be doing anything illegal but just want an easier way to listen to music - with an ale or two naturally. Appreciate the suggestions regarding keeping the CD's just in case and will duly clear space in the loft to appease the wife. I wasn't intending to sell the CD's but realise now that I cannot give them away either without losing the ownership of licence.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Reffc
28-11-2014, 09:04
Hi All,
Many Thanks to you all for your input. I have a few options to consider now and seemed to have unintentionally opened a can of worms over the copyright legislation ! Obviously I don't want to be doing anything illegal but just want an easier way to listen to music - with an ale or two naturally. Appreciate the suggestions regarding keeping the CD's just in case and will duly clear space in the loft to appease the wife. I wasn't intending to sell the CD's but realise now that I cannot give them away either without losing the ownership of licence.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Hi Steve and a belated welcome. One solution would be to store the CDs in a large folding CD wallet. They take up little space and the multi-leaf wallets hold 100's of CDs. The wallets can be stored on a bookshelf and tale up less room than stacked jewel cases. You can include the art work with the CDs. The jewel cases can then be advertised and sold as a job lot or given away.

problem with going the hard drive storage route is the pain in the butt ripping all of the CDs. You could have a redundancy back up and store the CDs in the attic but why bother if you can have them and the art work neatly filed in slender wallets? Then there's the upgrading of the software/hardware. There's always the next best thing out every year claiming to be better. There's always the arguments about the technical superiority of ripped lossless files to CD playback but the inconvenient truth is that so many CD recordings failed to meet Red Book standards in the first place that ripping and storing for playback on the best systems isn't always likely to improve listening pleasure or dynamics audibly (an inconvenient truth). It's primarily done for convenience. The other thing to remember is that the hardware and back-ups (unless you already have everything needed) plus DAC is likely to cost more than a decent CDP anyway. Looking in the classifieds, there;s a couple of belters for very cheap money including Jerry's Technics SL1200 and Mark's sonograph. For a little more new, you have the likes of the mid range Rega CDPs which are excellent. It's really a case of convenience or tactility and economy (plus less complication and wiring!)...a personal choice to be made.

M6NTL
28-11-2014, 14:18
This is an interesting one. My personal opinion is that artists should earn their money from live performances and air play, and that their recorded material should be available free of charge to promote their performances...