PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy cassette deck what name and what features ??

Michael loves music
26-11-2014, 17:00
my father has gone in a care home and ive found a lot of old cassettes which would be interesting to hear now I had a cassette deck donkeys years ago and I'm sure it had Dolby b and c and hd pro to combat tape hiss ?? I have a Nad amp speakers and tuner so maybe I should look for a nad ?? Any advice on names to look for ŵould very much help as ebay full of old cassette decks !.

Jason P
26-11-2014, 17:56
I've got a Denon DRM 44 in the classifieds somewhere - it's a cracker of a deck. Will dig the thread out for you if interested...

Here it is (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?6182-Denon-DRM-44HX-Cassette-deck&highlight=Denon)

And I'm coming to Leicester this weekend :whistle:

The Barbarian
26-11-2014, 17:57
If it has HX Pro it's no older than an 80's machine..

Spectral Morn
26-11-2014, 18:07
Yamaha 580 se is a good modern cassette deck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=yamaha+kx+580&_frs=1

or new old stock here http://www.soundandvision.co.uk/hifi/cassette-decks/yamaha-kx-580se by the looks of it

Regards Neil

Michael loves music
26-11-2014, 18:51
There are a lot of denon cassette decks on ebay I'm sorry I think yours is too expensive but good luck with the sale

YNWaN
26-11-2014, 19:04
You think £50 is too expensive for a 3 head cassette deck?

Light Dependant Resistor
26-11-2014, 20:05
Hi
My preference would be one of the Pioneer decks , A lot of manufacturers woke up to the way the cassette was held, allowing gravity to assist. and I think the Pioneer slanting back decks like the C 2121 got this perfect. I still play recordings now on other formats that were done on this deck. Another nice addition is a DBX compander if you want to go that far. 13591

Cheers / Chris

DarrenHW
26-11-2014, 20:15
There are a lot of denon cassette decks on ebay I'm sorry I think yours is too expensive but good luck with the sale

Love your honesty! Give 3 head decks a Google, my vote would be Technics RS-AZ7 but that's because I picked mine up for £1.00 and it bested my aging Nakamichi BX-125e for playback in the Volvo.

The Barbarian
26-11-2014, 20:18
The big 3 Head Technics cassette decks from the late 80's were very good.

AlexM
26-11-2014, 20:24
I have a Yamaha KX500 for sale.. see here. No reasonable offer refused.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33098-FS-Hi-Fi-clearout-2-Yamaha-KX-500-Cassette-Deck-Denon-TU-260L-FM-AM-tuner

Michael loves music
26-11-2014, 21:20
You think £50 is too expensive for a 3 head cassette deck? yes when you search on ebay

Alex Nikitin
26-11-2014, 23:44
yes when you search on ebay

Well, as I've bought probably close to 300 (yes, three hundred) cassette decks on eBay over the last six years, I can tell you that perhaps around twenty out of this number did not require a full service. And it doesn't matter what sellers say: "mint", "fully working" "new and boxed" etc etc. These decks are old, the majority was out of operation for ten or more years, many have dirty heads and rollers. Would you buy a 30 year old car, not driven for 10 years and expect it to be safe and perform properly?!

There are only a few reasonably safe bets in buying old decks on eBay, where most of the time you may get away with just good cleaning of the heads and rollers. For example, with Technics RS-B555/565/655/665/755/765 decks, if the heads are not worn, you may have a good chance of a reasonably well working deck from eBay. On almost anything else you'll need to count in the cost of a service/restoration work, which may easily run into hundreds and sometimes can be over a grand.

Cheers

Alex

struth
26-11-2014, 23:49
I've got a Denon DRM 44 in the classifieds somewhere - it's a cracker of a deck. Will dig the thread out for you if interested...

Here it is (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?6182-Denon-DRM-44HX-Cassette-deck&highlight=Denon)

And I'm coming to Leicester this weekend :whistle:

For £50 that is a good buy. they are nice decks, and if I was still using my cassettes I would buy it myself.

The Barbarian
27-11-2014, 04:53
I have one of these 'RSB-905' somewhere i bought it a pair with my Techy 'SLP-770' CDP

http://borispol.ko.olx.ua/obyavlenie/technics-rs-b905-kassetnaya-deka-v-otlichnom-sostoyanii-ID84Gfj.html

bob4333
27-11-2014, 08:17
my father has gone in a care home and ive found a lot of old cassettes which would be interesting to hear now I had a cassette deck donkeys years ago and I'm sure it had Dolby b and c and hd pro to combat tape hiss ?? I have a Nad amp speakers and tuner so maybe I should look for a nad ?? Any advice on names to look for ŵould very much help as ebay full of old cassette decks !.

Michael, if you can drive to Solihull (B91) I have a Denon DR-M12HX that you can have for nothing.

I've just plugged it in and everything lights up. I've also just found probably the last remaining cassette tape in the house and it plays OK with the fluorescent meters lit up nicely, but it's not plumbed into an amp so cannot vouch for what comes out. I make no claims for it other than it worked fine the last time I used it which would have been mid 90's. Dolby B and C, Bias adjustment etc and worked well with TDK SA tapes I remember.

If it happens to be not what Michael's looking for (and I won't be offended if it isn't) the offer is open to anyone who can pick it up and give it a home.

Jason P
27-11-2014, 13:27
yes when you search on ebay

Hmm. My cursory search on eBay revealed one 44HX that went for £112 with 20 bids, and a 30HX for sale in Germany for 100 Euros. I reckon you've got the start of a good business there, if you can get them for a few quid and flog them at the going rate. Best of luck to you!

Alex Nikitin
27-11-2014, 13:56
Hmm. My cursory search on eBay revealed one 44HX that went for £112 with 20 bids, and a 30HX for sale in Germany for 100 Euros. I reckon you've got the start of a good business there, if you can get them for a few quid and flog them at the going rate. Best of luck to you!

I've bought the DR-M44HX on eBay for £45 including delivery about a month ago and I think it is a fair price for it. I buy these Denon decks for parts only though.

Cheers

Alex