PDA

View Full Version : What do you think ....should be interesting

naitphile
25-11-2014, 11:30
I like my nait 5si but it has no pre outs so no flexibility in that department...

But it does have av bypass which I believe bypasses the pre stage and allows the amp to provide the left and right integrated into an av setup.

I was thinking of experimenting by using a dynavox valve preamp using the nait as a power amp by this method...the objective mainly being for fun but also countering somewhat, the attacking style of naim....

So what do you think?

Ali Tait
25-11-2014, 12:27
If the amp's sound is not what you are looking for, would you not be better ith an amp you do like?

naitphile
25-11-2014, 12:35
If the amp's sound is not what you are looking for, would you not be better ith an amp you do like?

It's a fair question which I expected! It's actually the best setup I have had and like it but can't help tinkering and it would be reversible...thus the fun comment....but it also just might take the edge off the naim style?

I can't resist some glowing valves!

Part of my question I guess is also do you think the av bypass could actually be used in this way. I daren't ask on the naim forum.....

Beobloke
25-11-2014, 12:46
Part of my question I guess is also do you think the av bypass could actually be used in this way. I daren't ask on the naim forum.....

Yes it can. I use the A/V input of my Supernait in this configuration to take the front channel pre-outs from an A/V receiver.

naitphile
26-11-2014, 00:50
Many thanks think I will give this a whirl!

Ali Tait
26-11-2014, 07:57
Let us know how you get on.

naitphile
27-11-2014, 10:03
So after a bit of digging .....naim integrated use a DC coupled and unprotected power stage. Apparently bypassing the passive pre-amp with a tube pre amp is not a good idea. failure to warm the tubes can suck in a driver or a blown tube can do some serious damage to the naim. This seems risky. But in my quest for valve fun I have ordered a yaqin 23b phono stage and some replacement JJ 83 replacement tubes to begin my rolling quest. Unfortunately without modding to add a heater circuit it won't run the Russian military tubes but I might get round to that later. Can't wait!!

naitphile
07-12-2014, 17:02
So after a week and a half the Yaqin rolls up from china for £130 quid was a bit of a gamble ...but it arrived in perfect condition...

I must say for the money the case is very well made indeed however I can't speak for the standard of it's innards.

Is the hum better than the 22 version? (which was the goal of the 23B model) its not bad but its there with the amp at 12 o'clock. Will try adding an RCA to Naim DIN and extending the ground loop from the yaqin to the Nait 5si ....no idea if it will help but worth a try. Failing this modding chap can deal with it. But I have to say at normal listening volume its not that audible so I think I will enjoy it as is over christmas.

I have listened to 2 sides with the chinese supplied valves; half way through side one of "crime of the century" the weight of bass and realism of the percussion beat my cambridge 551P but the top end was a bit shrill. By the end of the first side of Reet Petite things a were sounding a little warmer and natural. However the supplied tubes are heavily slated so I am cooling it down already to pop in the JJECC983's !!

Will report back

naitphile
07-12-2014, 17:13
Blimey how do you get the tubes out? Just pull? they seem well fixed in

Firebottle
07-12-2014, 17:28
A sign of decent sockets if they are tightly held :)

Rock them a little from side to side as you pull and out they will come.

:cool: Alan

naitphile
07-12-2014, 17:31
Thanks very much for the quick reply - they are now out!

naitphile
07-12-2014, 17:55
Wow JJ ECC83s are in and after 2 sides of Ella they sound incredible....what does a good setup sound like? As hoped this valve amp brings some warmth to the old LPs being played through the NAIT.

How much use before the valves reach peak performance?

dez
29-04-2019, 22:58
How much use before the valves reach peak performance?

Someone can correct me wrong, but after my experience with guitar and bass tube amps, I find that the valves come in the best shape of performance after manufactured. Unlike the speakers, they don't need some breaking up days / hours to peak performance.
What it happens with them is that for full performance they need some heating when being used so they achieve peak performance after some minutes. Also, in the long run, their performance can be degraded by the consuming of the materials they are made of or incorrect usage (wrong bias, overcharging, ...).