PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the Musical Fidelity M6 si ?

Nerfbat
24-11-2014, 20:06
Has anyone had a listen / own one of these ?

On paper it sounds rather a good piece of kit, plenty of grunt with a great soundstage and not overly bright...

Effem
24-11-2014, 20:30
We have a recently joined member called Peter Haynes who owns the MF M6i so perhaps you could drop him a Private Message for his opinions?

peter haynes
25-11-2014, 08:12
Hello Roy
I have the M6i - something not right in my system(+amp was faulty, due to get it back tomorrow) :scratch: See posts on forum Will update all in a week or so time
Peter

DSJR
25-11-2014, 09:38
The main issue with any MF product is MF! I shall say no more.

Andrei
25-11-2014, 09:55
Hi Roy
Not much help I'm afraid as although I have heard the M6 it has only been a dealers shop. It sounded sounded pretty darn decent pushing Focal speakers. However IMHO speakers and amps should not be considered in isolation - and indeed Peter's situation may be an example of this. The short answer is that MF is fine but it may depend on your other kit.

Nerfbat
25-11-2014, 10:12
Thanks Andrei - I'm just getting back into hifi again , and I'm now using a Gyrodec / Alphason HR100s-MCS / Ortofon MC3 Turbo or Roksan Kandy CD, with Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. Current amps are an Audio Innovations Series 500 or Roksan Kandy.

Nerfbat
27-11-2014, 20:51
Going to Maidstone to have a listen tomorrow - I'm slightly nervous, as previously I was dealing with someone who I knew well and let me have home demos, but he's retired now and it seems that's not so common these days...

steve s
28-11-2014, 16:22
I've got an MF M3i and its a wonderful amp and I'm very happy with it. Lots of power and very detailed and refined. Should imagine the M6 is the same just more of..

DSJR
28-11-2014, 16:48
Thanks Andrei - I'm just getting back into hifi again , and I'm now using a Gyrodec / Alphason HR100s-MCS / Ortofon MC3 Turbo or Roksan Kandy CD, with Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. Current amps are an Audio Innovations Series 500 or Roksan Kandy.

The AI 500's are the lesser of the two evils you have as amps I think. I found the original Kandy a horrible thing, all PA brute punchy force and absolutely no music coming out at all. Apparently the K2 was a huge improvement. At least the AI 500 is a velvety musical little thing, although I find it a little too 'velvet' for my own tastes.

I'm worried that you seem to be a dedicated Sevenoaks type of customer? There's a lot of other stuff around and these days, I reckon Richer Sounds could get you better knowledge levels of staff and possibly a better sound as well. Just saying like..

Floyddroid
30-11-2014, 15:51
I had a listen to this amp and thought it sounded pretty good. It just doesn't look the money.

Nerfbat
30-11-2014, 17:13
The AI 500's are the lesser of the two evils you have as amps I think. I found the original Kandy a horrible thing, all PA brute punchy force and absolutely no music coming out at all. Apparently the K2 was a huge improvement. At least the AI 500 is a velvety musical little thing, although I find it a little too 'velvet' for my own tastes.

I'm worried that you seem to be a dedicated Sevenoaks type of customer? There's a lot of other stuff around and these days, I reckon Richer Sounds could get you better knowledge levels of staff and possibly a better sound as well. Just saying like..

I'm not too sure what you mean by a 'Sevenoaks type of customer' ?

During my hifi heyday in the 80's and 90's I usually dealt with Dave at Progressive Audio who was excellent and was always happy to let me demo gear at home ,but I had to get rid of my system due to family commitments and just got something that 'would do' for a while. Now it seems he's no longer in business, hence why I'm asking on here as I'm not familiar with the current state of the market.

I got to hear the M6si at a dealer in Maidstone (not Sevenoaks HiFi) , and I thought it was a good amp, but I wasn't impressed enough to buy it on the spot without a home demo.

I'm currently using the AI 500 and the Roksan amp is just sitting in a cupboard, as despite it's limitations the AI is far more musical.