PDA

View Full Version : WTD. Pre amp for my Bryston 4bsst

darekbrodzik
22-11-2014, 20:21
Hi guys,
I'm after pre amp for my bryston and b w 803. Thinking maybe musical fidelity m6.Also considering Audio Research, Bryston..
Ideally in region of 1000 and black.
Thanks
Darek

icehockeyboy
23-11-2014, 10:18
You wouldn't go far wrong looking for a Classe pre in that price range too.

darekbrodzik
23-11-2014, 13:00
Yeah absolutely. Classe is in my radar too;-)

DSJR
23-11-2014, 13:08
Bryston's own aren't bad either, but the previous issue one that I had, needed to be left on 24/7 to fully flesh out and sweeten if it wasn't to sound a bit thin and tinny. The current far more expensive model has significantly re-worked multiple supplies in a separate matching box and comes on song far quicker.

Also, please have a look at the Albarry preamp, which is able to drive all sorts of different amp loads with success. If you like this unit, then the change to their power amps will be purely a matter of course :) You have a dealer not too far from you as well I believe.

darekbrodzik
23-11-2014, 21:47
Give me your thoughts on Krell krc 3 .Will it sound out with Bryston???

DSJR
23-11-2014, 22:01
The Bryston should work with any decent preamp :) Krell preamps look to be well made and long lasting, so no problem if the price is right.

darekbrodzik
24-11-2014, 09:46
Thanks Dave.This is what I'm gonna go with then.Thought about this setup bryston + krell long time and now will have a chance to test;-)

Yomanze
25-11-2014, 15:05
Krell KRC-3 is awesome. Incredible combination of transparency, drive and balance between balls and finesse.

Yomanze
25-11-2014, 15:06
I have an excellent condition KRC-3 here if you are interested? It runs warm (high bias class A) so needs good ventilation.

As it is using original capacitors I have a full replacement (I found the original caps + Kendeil main filter caps) that I have been intending to send off for service, which would cost around £150. Factor this in and I would be happy to sell for £750+P&P, which would bring you within budget with a recap service included if you use the likes of Arkless Electronics, who is very much used to servicing this type of classic gear.

tannoydmt
25-11-2014, 19:30
I have an Electrocompaniet EC 4.7 Preamplifier for sale which should be ideal for the Bryston or any other power amp as it has a combination of xlr and rca inputs and outputs, volume and source selection are remotely control, preamp is in excellent condition no marks, original box included, this preamp has loads of excellent web and magazine reviews, asking £800 plus any postage costs.

darekbrodzik
25-11-2014, 23:11
Hi to all and thanks for all your interest. Managed to get krell krc 3 now so will see what's it like when put my hands on it or should I say ears ;-)

Neil, hope you right about this model being so good thought.;-)

Thanks again.

Yomanze
26-11-2014, 09:32
Hi to all and thanks for all your interest. Managed to get krell krc 3 now so will see what's it like when put my hands on it or should I say ears ;-)

Neil, hope you right about this model being so good thought.;-)

Thanks again.

Good stuff, it sounds great single ended with RCAs, but for best results use it fully balanced / XLRs.

Yomanze
26-11-2014, 09:34
I wasn't kidding about the heat either it runs hotter than most power amps, so don't put it in an enclosed space and if on a rack put it on the top shelf - it's a beast!

All this KRC-3 talk, definitely putting mine on when I get back tonight. :)

darekbrodzik
26-11-2014, 21:33
It is a beast!! Sounds totally different to Arcam AV8....Impressed that's all I can say :-)

Might be a silly question thought but what do you use phase for??
Not very bright in these things...
Thanks

Yomanze
27-11-2014, 09:59
If one of your components inverts phase then when your speakers should be pushing outward it is pulling inward, it doesn't sound as different as you might think though! If two components in an audio chain invert phase then you're back to "absolute phase", which is when normal phase is maintained throughout the audio chain. You can also reverse your speaker cable connections (red in black and black in red) to achieve the same thing. If you've ever accidentally connected one speaker out of phase then you'd get a weird effect where the soundstage and imaging get pulled to one side.

If you want to take it even further then some records are recorded with inverted phase and some mixes have tracks with some inverted phase bits and some normal phase... In other words don't worry about the faff, but I do like to maintain absolute phase in the components I use e.g. one of my DACs inverts phase so I reverse my speaker connections when using it - stuff doing that on a record by record basis though!