PDA

View Full Version : My Amplifier journey

OD1
19-11-2014, 13:54
Hi All,
This is my first post, and I would like to start with a BIG Thank You !
Let me explain:-
I used to own an Exposure 2010s, that was replace (when I decided to try valves) by an Icon Audio 40ISE that originally came with EL34 valves, I was happy with the sound with Jazz, but felt the bass was lacking when playing reggae compared to the Expo.
I called Icon Audio & they suggested a change to KT88's may add to the bass, so purchased some Gold Lion KT88's & lived with them for 2 years or so.

Then I read an article in HFW where it was suggested that a valve preamp into a SS power amp could give the bass lift that I still craved, without loosing the valve midrange.

I decided I would like to try an Exposure 2010S2 with an Icon Audio pre, but IA had just ceased production of the IA3 pre & I felt the IA4 was out of my price range, so started researching affordable (to me) valve pre's, and that is when I found AOS & read about Croft (was not aware of this brand before).
I liked the fact that I could e-mail GC directly & asked if he could build me a Micro 25 to match the Expo 2010S2, and his rapid positive reply resulted in me ordering the pre the same day.

I now have the best sounds I have heard in over 30 years of having a hi fi system, and feel I would not have this without discovering Croft via AOS, so thanks again!

Moderators, please move if I have posted to the wrong forum ?

Olly

awkwardbydesign
19-11-2014, 14:03
Moderators, please move if I have posted to the wrong forum ?

Olly
Looks like the right place to me. Unless Marco will start a Croft love-in forum? :lol:

struth
19-11-2014, 15:22
Glen is a very approachable guy and very helpful too. Great news that you have reached a state of Nirvana Oliver, and good to hear AoS made a contribution.

welcome to the forum

brian2957
19-11-2014, 16:02
Welcome to AOS Oliver . I joined the forum around 5 years ago and I haven't looked back . I have followed the excellent advice given to me by the members here and like you I now have the best sounding system I've ever had . I've also made some great friends here , one of whom paid me a visit this morning . Great forum with friendly and knowledgeable members. :)

Audio Al
19-11-2014, 17:07
Hello Oliver , I am also a Croft user , I have a 25 basic with inbuilt phono stage :D

It is rather splendid old boy ;)

Zoidburg
19-11-2014, 17:33
Welcome on board mate, great first post!

OD1
19-11-2014, 21:00
It took me almost 18 months to pluck up the courage to join this forum, but I am glad I did :)

jollyfix
19-11-2014, 21:51
Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum.

kininigin
22-11-2014, 12:46
Welcome to the forum and croft club Oliver.I discovered the croft brand the same way as you! Have never looked back after hearing them,or feel the need to upgrade...well maybe to the 25R ;)

Enjoy your new croft :)

Canetoad
22-11-2014, 22:59
I have Darren's old 25, which I have updated to R spec. I haven't felt the need to replace it since I bought it. :)

Barry
23-11-2014, 11:04
It took me almost 18 months to pluck up the courage to join this forum, but I am glad I did :)

Goodness! - Are we that intimidating? Anyway we're glad you joined - welcome to AoS Oliver.

Great first post; glad you are pleased with the Croft preamp - there are quite a few here who use them.

Enjoy the Forum :)