PDA

View Full Version : Headphone info. please.

DaveK
06-08-2009, 22:49
Evenin' All,
Another one of my numptie newbie questions I'm afraid.
Having just discovered the joys of hearing real depth of soundstage for the first time, courtesy of my Tirna mod'd 7520 DAC, and similarly been impressed with the improvements to the sound emitting from my headphones, Senn. HD280, I have noticed that the headphones don't give me the same impression of depth of soundstage. Width of soundstage is fine but I can't get much sense of depth.
Question: -
Is this lack of depth due to my cloth ears, or the shortcomings of the headphones, or am I looking for something that headphones are just not capable of generating - told you it was a numptie question :lol:.
Polite responses would be preferred, showing due deference to my age and naivete :lolsign: .
Cheers,

The Vinyl Adventure
07-08-2009, 00:05
headphones are odd... its a completely different experience to listening to speakers! funily enough i had this convo today.. the chap was saying to me a major difference in the experience is down to the fact that in a room you hear the room as well as the hifi ... 30% is direct sound... 70% is reflected sound and thats what plays a big part in the creation of a soundstage...

anyway i guess others can expand more on this!

Alexxus
21-08-2009, 18:47
Hamish has a good point there, you do hear the room as well. Different acoustics entirely.

On the other hand, I think it's about equipment too. See if you can audition some 'phones further up the range. I'm using HD580 (pretty much same thing as HD600, from what I gathered) and I'm quite happy with the tri-dimensional aspect.

Give something in a higher class a spin (I understand AKG701 are real good too, never tried them myself, tho) and see what happens. Your ears might not be made entirely of rags, after all :)