PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or Rosewood/ magnesium headshell?

ChrisKemp
14-11-2014, 12:30
I wonder if anyone can help me deside if I should upgrade my headshell or not. My arm is the Isokinetik Silver Melody SM750 (based on the Jelco 750D) with the Jelco headshell. Comes with silver cables. My cartridge is Ortofon 2M Black.

Isokinetik also have an upgradeable headshell that is a Rosewood/ Magnesium headshell. It was tested in Hifi Choice with great remarks and 5 of 5 stars. But it is also very expensive!

I have only once upgraded a headshell and that was from tye standard Technics headshell to a Sumiko HS-12 back when I had a Denon DL-103R and it was a great improvement.

The Isokinetik Rosewood/ Magnesium headshell is exactly the same headshell as the Koetsu Wooden headshell.

Should I buy such an expensive headshell or save up for a better cartridge?

struth
14-11-2014, 13:03
i put a rosewood headshell on my sme and am impressed. it is better than the adc one. youll need an extra long headscrew.
of course mine is not as high end as the one your obviously talking about but for the money it is well worth it. i got it from the states

ChrisKemp
14-11-2014, 18:56
Thank you for your reply. I will try out the Isokinetik Rosewood headshell from Mains Cables R Us:)

Ali Tait
14-11-2014, 19:09
The graphite ones around look interesting. No good to me now though, using a Tecnoarm.

Wakefield Turntables
14-11-2014, 19:57
Magnesium are excellent.

Graphite also excellent, used these on my SME3012.

Rosewood never tried so cant comment.

Aluminium also excellent.

In a nutshell I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. Just dont make the cart + headshell combo too heavy so you cant counter balance them on yer tonearm.