PDA

View Full Version : PS Audio P300

jaym481
11-11-2014, 14:36
A while ago there was some discussion of these little things. I have a duff P300, and was wondering if anyone knows if it would be economical to repair, and if so, if there's a recommended place for the service? I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to the high-voltage stuff, so I'm not about to go poking around in there on my own.

I contacted PS Audio in the US and they provided me with both the service manual, and a contact for their UK distributor, but the latter simply wanted to sell me a new regenerator. I like the P300/600 etc series because if the ability to adjust both voltage and line frequency (I have a range of kit designed for different countries), and use a P600 for most of my main system, except the amps. I'm setting up a small system in a home office, and it would be a treat to have the P300 available for it.

I posted this in Blank Canvas as it's more a repair information request than details about the item, but if it should be elsewhere, if a moderator would be so kind and move it.

jaym481
12-11-2014, 12:32
I guess these aren't in favour anymore?

Effem
12-11-2014, 19:36
I guess these aren't in favour anymore?

I don't know why, but PS Audio don't have the presence in this country as much as they used to. Pity, because the sound quality is awesome.

With regards to your problem, I too was stuck between a rock and a hard place when I was sold a 110 volt HCA2 power amp as a 240 volt one which went bang when I plugged it into the mains. There wasn't a reliable distributor in the UK at that time and all I could do was sent it over to PS Audio in the states for repair. Postage was not cheap, but I wasn't charged a penny for the repair, only for the return postage back to me. As you say, PS Audio themselves really are helpful in any way they can and it's a huge shame they can't find a decent distributor for the UK :(

jaym481
12-11-2014, 20:59
Even the "little" P300 weighs quite a lot. Shipping overseas, plus the cost of repair (it's way too old for warranty), wouldn't be economical. I guess I'll just see if someone local can do the repair. Walrus isn't far, and Pete has fixed stuff for me before. Time to give them a shout.

evir
13-11-2014, 16:59
my recent dialogue on this subject concluded that the current UK distributer will service anything he has sold, as that was part of the distribution deal with PS audio. unfortunately older kit is harder to repair unless shipped back to the US, and even they cannot get some parts for older stuff. I've lived with a p300 then a p500 then a PPP and they all died after much use and abuse.
discounting these difficulties from previous arrangements their customer service is generally very good and I'm sure they could assist an independent repairer.

rysio
29-01-2016, 13:17
Hello,
I saw you mentioned in your post that PS Audio sent you P300 Service Manual. Would you be so kind to forward it to me using this email: rysio_ch@hotmail.com.
My unit went dead and I want to fix it myself because I don't have over $600 ($500 flat fee plus shipping both ways) to spend to sending it to PS Audio.
Thank you,
Richard.