PDA

View Full Version : £6 Nad tuner sounds fantastic

Michael loves music
10-11-2014, 16:20
Got a Nad tuner 4225 off ebay sound is fantastic and all for £6 what a bargain :)

Marco
10-11-2014, 16:35
Nice one, Michael - enjoy! :thumbsup:

Marco.

RichB
10-11-2014, 16:51
I'll bet it does, shame about the quality of radio station content these days.

I only ever manage Radio 4 in the car these days and local stations for traffic updates. I understand Radio 3 is still the best of them soundwise.

Radio 1 and 2 are unlistenable these days, they do something to the eq and it sounds loud even at low volumes if that makes any sense.

Michael loves music
10-11-2014, 16:59
Radio 2 and our local radio Leicester really do sound amazing just had to buy a wire rabbit Ariel off ebay for £2 so total £8 matches my Nad amp and Nad cd player

Barry
10-11-2014, 18:18
Well done Michael.

If you can manage it, try to have an outside aerial fitted. You'll be surprised how much of a difference that makes.

However given the bargain you have, just enjoy it with a simple (active) indoor aerial; fitting an ouside aerial will cost many times more.

Michael loves music
10-11-2014, 21:06
Hi Barry a roof Ariel is around £100 fitted I went school with our local Ariel fitter he is a good friend but the sound is very good indeed I'm very happy

Michael loves music
11-11-2014, 06:51
I'm only using a very basic rca cable from tuner to amp do I need to get a thicker one ? Sound is very good do I need a better cable ? How much do I need to spend ???

Kvaal
11-11-2014, 07:56
The basic rca cables are often good enough, imo. There is much "snake oil" in the cable market, so take some good advices before you buy.

I would try to find this one, if I were you:

http://www.kimber.com/products/interconnects/analog/pbj/

It has been known as a cable-best-buy when new, and if you find it as used, it`s a steal.
Price was approx 50£ when new, but don`t pay more than the half, or even less when used.

Michael loves music
11-11-2014, 08:16
I'm saw a chord company brand new in box for £3

petrat
11-11-2014, 08:32
I had a NAD 4020 tuner in the early 90s, which was really very good, certainly way better than other 'budget' tuners I tried at the time. New, they were around £180 I think. I sold my used one for £30 ... yet another sale I now regret :doh:

Michael loves music
11-11-2014, 08:38
I have the 4225 model as new no marks so easy to tune and preset love it

Rush2112
12-11-2014, 07:56
Totally agree great bargain ! Outside aerial is a significant upgrade but even a t £108 in total it will still be great value for money but it's all down to how much radio you listen to and which stations. As a directional aerial is best for the major stations for more local stations it may be better to go for an omnidirectional aerial !Happy listening.

awkwardbydesign
12-11-2014, 09:34
Am I correct in thinking that an external aerial could provide too strong a signal, depending on your location? I used to use a simple dipole, just splitting the aerial cable to the correct length, pinned to the ceiling and orientated correctly, when I lived in Manchester. I originally had a (4 element?) aerial in the loft, but didn't really need it. I only really used it for Radio 4.
Now I just use the Squeezebox Duet on the rare occasions I want the radio.

Kvaal
12-11-2014, 14:39
External aerials can provide too strong signals for some tuners, but many modern tuners are made to cope with that. The NAD is such a good one.

A big outside aerial will be directonal, suppressing some stations. Depending on the area and the building Michael lives in, he can get good reception. If he has good view to the outside, the reception will usually be good as well. The rabbit-aerial is fine, it is not directional an he can get stations from all round.

Michael loves music
12-11-2014, 21:38
I live in a cul de sac of 5 large bungalows plenty of space and Nad tuner is against the outside wall looking over fields the reception is very good indeed all lights on the Nad tuner are lit up so tuned in perfectly the rabbit Ariel is hidden behind the White draws so nice and tidy

hermit
12-11-2014, 21:57
I have an old analog tv aerial on the roof which I no longer use for tv as I have Sky. I hooked it up to the 75 ohm fm terminal on my tuner and it works fantastically well.

struth
12-11-2014, 23:36
I have an old analog tv aerial on the roof which I no longer use for tv as I have Sky. I hooked it up to the 75 ohm fm terminal on my tuner and it works fantastically well.

...and so it should......TV aerials make great FM Antennae .

Michael loves music
15-11-2014, 07:27
the nad 4225 tuner is tuned in lovely however now and again a orange light comes on under the digital display does anyone know why this comes on ? Green Fm lights are on and sounds wonderful

Roy S
15-11-2014, 08:54
the nad 4225 tuner is tuned in lovely however now and again a orange light comes on under the digital display does anyone know why this comes on ? Green Fm lights are on and sounds wonderful

Download of the manual here -

http://nadelectronics.com/products/tuners/4225-Stereo-Tuner#heading-downloads

Wakefield Turntables
15-11-2014, 10:41

I was just about to ask that question as I fancied doing something similar with my magnum dynalab. I moved into the house with the aerial already in situ, I just need to buy some coax cable and I'm away. :eek:

Barry
15-11-2014, 18:08

Well they 'work', but because they are tuned to Band IV/V frequencies (some four times higher than those used for FM radio) they will not have anything like the gain that a dedicated Band II aerial will offer.

For those stations that transmit a strong signal this will not matter, but if you want to listen to more distant station a dedicated Band II aerial is required.

Michael loves music
17-11-2014, 16:23
The green fm stero light has gone out on radio 1 but is on still on radio 2 and our local radio Leicester why is that it had been on radio 1 over a week ??