PDA

View Full Version : For anybody wanting an NVA AP10P - Half price

CageyH
09-11-2014, 10:34
I think that the man has lost his marbles offering them at this price, but if you want one, grab a bargain while you can.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-AP10P-Personal-Integrated-amplifier-/270505082352

Mr Kipling
09-11-2014, 12:04
Well the link does say it's a promotion. If I had some dosh I would have snapped one up.

Never heard any NVA. Always liked the casework.

RichB
09-11-2014, 12:46
This thread needs to go in blank canvas as its not trade? Unless you represent him Cagey.

Plus people may want to discuss the merits of this amp vis-à-vis other amps available and that discussion would be better there I think.

Spectral Morn
09-11-2014, 15:13
This thread needs to go in blank canvas as its not trade? Unless you represent him Cagey.

Plus people may want to discuss the merits of this amp vis-à-vis other amps available and that discussion would be better there I think.

Agreed, so moved.

worrasf
09-11-2014, 15:34
I've got one of these - it's a cracking little amp. I use it with my Wadia 170i (AudioNet signature upgrade) and Bushmaster DAC into a pair of Ruark Epilogues - it's sounds stunning for an entry level system

CageyH
09-11-2014, 17:51
Oh, I don't represent him in any way whatsoever.
I just wanted to make people aware of a bit of a bargain.

DSJR
09-11-2014, 18:06
My connection with NVA means I can't say much, except to add that headphones are driven directly from a proper 10WPC power amp with a safety? resistor in series, more for potential ear damage I reckon, than any other reason. The extra power over many headphone amps is beneficial I believe, even at low listening levels. My ancient little Crown amps do the same thing, but without the inline resistors :eek:

worrasf
09-11-2014, 18:15
headphones are driven directly from a proper 10WPC power amp

With the caveat on this model you have to physically disconnect the speaker cables when running headphones as there is no automatic cutout.

MCRU
09-11-2014, 18:18
Oh, I don't represent him in any way whatsoever.
I just wanted to make people aware of a bit of a bargain.

Bargain in what respect?

enbee23
09-11-2014, 18:46
It is a basic but real hifi product from a UK company with heritage being sold at half price. It has even been very well reviewed by yer actual magazines and not just randoms on the internet ;) What's not to like?

Joe
09-11-2014, 18:51
Bargain in what respect?

Cheaper than a SLIC?

enbee23
09-11-2014, 19:04
Cheaper than a SLIC?

Chortle.

myles
09-11-2014, 19:21
Bargain in what respect?

I'd imagine that it can be described as a bargain because there isn't much else that offers what it does at that price?

Mr Kipling
09-11-2014, 19:46
I don't claim to be any Einstein, but surely it's a bargain in respect to it's original price. If a £500 cable was made available for £250, some would perceive that to be a bargain.

awkwardbydesign
09-11-2014, 23:26
I don't claim to be any Einstein, but surely it's a bargain in respect to it's original price. If a £500 cable was made available for £250, some would perceive that to be a bargain.

Only if it was worth £500.

struth
10-11-2014, 00:50
Only if it was worth £500.

+1..... I would have thought if it were worth £350 then they would sell at £350 or there abouts. I can only assume that they have a load of them that have been made that the cannot get shot of ;)

Barry
10-11-2014, 00:53
I believe they are made as and when ordered. I see this as a promotional offer, nothing more, nothing less.

struth
10-11-2014, 00:58
....are they any good:)

you could be right Barry, I dont know tbh. sure it will increase sales anyways.:)

myles
10-11-2014, 08:50
....are they any good:)

you could be right Barry, I dont know tbh. sure it will increase sales anyways.:)

Why doesn't YNWaN buy one and do one of his reviews?

RichB
10-11-2014, 10:35
Some of the folks who were raving about these having paid £300 quid must be foaming now. Typical of a flavour of the month product.

DSJR
10-11-2014, 11:21
Trade-in value isn't affected.

awkwardbydesign
10-11-2014, 11:25

But resale value might be.

Yomanze
10-11-2014, 11:34
I've got one of these - it's a cracking little amp. I use it with my Wadia 170i (AudioNet signature upgrade) and Bushmaster DAC into a pair of Ruark Epilogues - it's sounds stunning for an entry level system

It is an unbelievably good headphone amp, just never runs out of steam at all and ultra-transparent. I use one with a pair of Grado RS1s, and it's not that far off my STAX headphones in terms of transparency, but with way more boogie and dynamics and of course the Grado sound does shine through, not the fault of the NVA AP!0H though.

RichB
10-11-2014, 11:59
Ironically I am in the market for another headphone amp having sold my Creek OBH-21se which, although excellent was too lively for my tastes.

At the price the NVA does look excellent value for money and with speaker option has a greater feature set than the Rega ear.

With the resale value now effectively even lower I can maybe look forward to picking one up second hand in the not too distant future

enbee23
10-11-2014, 12:03
Some of the folks who were raving about these having paid £300 quid must be foaming now. Typical of a flavour of the month product.

Flavour of the month?! NVA have been doing their thing for decades and the AP10P is as old as the hills...

But resale value might be.

The NVA trade in scheme is excellent. I don't think that a temporary promotional offer at half price is going to put too big a dent in the second hand value of these, and even if it does an owner might lose what? £50? Whoopee.

FWIW, I have never owned any NVA gear or had any contact with the company but their business model is refreshingly bullshit free.

People here may not like RD but to take cheap pops at his company and products is lame.

RichB
10-11-2014, 12:08
Flavour of the month?! NVA have been doing their thing for decades and the AP10P is as old as the hills...

The NVA trade in scheme is excellent. I don't think that a temporary promotional offer at half price is going to put too big a dent in the second hand value of these, and even if it does an owner might lose what? £50? Whoopee.

FWIW, I have never owned any NVA gear or had any contact with the company but their business model is refreshingly bullshit free.

People here may not like RD but to take cheap pops at his company and products is lame.

We're only discussing the product and pricing here.

synsei
10-11-2014, 12:41
RD is just misunderstood. He truly is a delightfully charming character who always puts others before himself. Frankly I think he should be appointed a UN goodwill ambassador for his selfless efforts to bring the disparate parts of the hifi industry together. A genuine team player that man, I nominate him for a knighthood... :clap:

myles
10-11-2014, 12:46
See the post above yours Synsei.

Macca
10-11-2014, 12:55
I'd request that everyone please restrain their comments to the subject of the product and or brand concerned.

Thanks

enbee23
10-11-2014, 12:59

We're only discussing the product and pricing here.

In that case what were you trying to achieve with the second sentence of your earlier post? :rolleyes:

RD is just misunderstood. He truly is a delightfully charming character who always puts others before himself. Frankly I think he should be appointed a UN goodwill ambassador for his selfless efforts to bring the disparate parts of the hifi industry together. A genuine team player that man, I nominate him for a knighthood... :clap:

This thread is about an amplifier not a person. Children these days... :ner:

synsei
10-11-2014, 13:13
In that case what were you trying to achieve with the second sentence of your earlier post? :rolleyes:

Hey dad, can I go out to play? :D

RichB
10-11-2014, 13:19

Reflecting on forum fads mate and the way a price reduction in a certain product gets viewed. The manufacturer of the product has made it clear the price reduction is aimed to generate interest and further sales. Make of it what you will. I'll continue to draw my own conclusions...

synsei
10-11-2014, 13:22
Putting flippancy to one side, for the price it has to be worth a punt considering the no-quibble returns policy ;)

CageyH
10-11-2014, 13:36
You will have to be quick. There are only two left.

DSJR
10-11-2014, 20:29

One thing about people I find very hard to deal with is when they're two faced. Like I said before Dave, RD is exactly the same face to face as he is online and, if you use his gear the way suggested, it should be long lived and very reliable as the components aren't run within an inch of their lives. Only twonking around with non-recommended speaker cables or dead shorts may upset things IMO...

By the way, RD is a pussycat compared to other opinionated multi-faceted individuals in the audio industry I know...

twotone
10-11-2014, 20:36
I had one of their phono stages a couple of years ago, sounded good to me, basic one I think mk1 something or other, you had to send it to the factory to get the MC mod done from MM.

Sold it for more or less what I paid for it

Marco
10-11-2014, 20:59
I'd request that everyone please restrain their comments to the subject of the product and or brand concerned.

Indeed, and remember the rule we have in place in reference to discussing RD: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27571-*****-Ban-on-all-discussion-of-Richard-Dunn-(NVA)-and-The-Hi-fi-Subjectivist-*****

Marco.

anthonyTD
11-11-2014, 10:42
Thats a bit of a turn around Dave, considering you used to be one of a few here that used to get regularly accused of being a SHILLER ,by the man, and thus everything he who must not get mentioned here hated about the trade, now it would seem your ok, while your SHILLING his products, double standards or what...:doh::rolleyes:,
My connection with NVA means I can't say much, except to add that headphones are driven directly from a proper 10WPC power amp with a safety? resistor in series, more for potential ear damage I reckon, than any other reason. The extra power over many headphone amps is beneficial I believe, even at low listening levels. My ancient little Crown amps do the same thing, but without the inline resistors :eek:

DSJR
11-11-2014, 14:18
Thats a bit of a turn around Dave, considering you used to be one of a few here that used to get regularly accused of being a SHILLER ,by the man, and thus everything he who must not get mentioned here hated about the trade, now it would seem your ok, while your SHILLING his products, double standards or what...:doh::rolleyes:,

I get it both ends - why do I fuggin' bother? RD is banned here and asks that people pass comments over as he cannot. I do so, stressing I have NOTHING to do with the BMU in any shape or form. I stated that only NVA users bought this, but that was wrong so I've been broadsided from behind, so to speak. Sorry Anthony, I'm not shilling the brand, or at least trying not to consciously. Apologies if you think I am!

anthonyTD
11-11-2014, 14:24
Sorry Dave,
But i say it as i see it, you get one face with me! There have been a few threads of late where you have intentionaly mentioned your involvment with said products, As for the product in question, i am not going to comment on it either way!!!
I get it both ends - why do I fuggin' bother? RD is banned here and asks that people pass comments over as he cannot. I do so, stressing I have NOTHING to do with the BMU in any shape or form. I stated that only NVA users bought this, but that was wrong so I've been broadsided from behind, so to speak. Sorry Anthony, I'm not shilling the brand, or at least trying not to consciously. Apologies if you think I am! I'll shut up now, but please put Pinky to rights if he's factually in error as you lot do to me - I see Adam is doing just that - whew!!!

Joe
11-11-2014, 14:45
I get it both ends - why do I fuggin' bother? RD is banned here and asks that people pass comments over as he cannot. I do so, stressing I have NOTHING to do with the BMU in any shape or form. I stated that only NVA users bought this, but that was wrong so I've been broadsided from behind, so to speak. Sorry Anthony, I'm not shilling the brand, or at least trying not to consciously. Apologies if you think I am! I'll shut up now, but please put Pinky to rights if he's factually in error as you lot do to me - I see Adam is doing just that - whew!!!

I do feel for you, Dave. The trouble is, you want people to just 'get along', and there's some people who can't or won't do that. If person A fundamentally disagrees with person B on a point of fact, then person C is going to get hit by flak from both if he/she tries to intervene. Been there, done that, got the scars to show for it.

YNWaN
11-11-2014, 15:24
Why doesn't YNWaN buy one and do one of his reviews?

As it happens, I have been considering a headphone amp....

I've got a Naim Headline but am not very impressed by it and so literally never use it. I've been offered an Avondale unit to try and would also try the NVA. However, I'm not buying it just for trial purposes and something tells me I won't be offered the loan of one.

myles
11-11-2014, 15:46
As it happens, I have been considering a headphone amp....

I've got a Naim Headline but am not very impressed by it and so literally never use it. I've been offered an Avondale unit to try and would also try the NVA. However, I'm not buying it just for trial purposes and something tells me I won't be offered the loan of one.

As an aside, I'd be interested to hear your views on the Avondale.

YNWaN
11-11-2014, 15:56
I'll have to go and pick it up (Avondale aren't far for me though). A friend has already tried it and thought it was very good.

Macca
11-11-2014, 17:00
Off topic posts have been deleted as per my previous message.

if anyone wishes to discuss balanced mains units please start a new thread in DIY section.

Thanks

enbee23
11-11-2014, 18:02
The post of mine that you deleted was nothing to do with BMUs! Good modding though, some people really need to get out more.

RichB
11-11-2014, 23:43
When considering the bargain you will need to factor in the additional cost of cables from the manufacturer as I understand using other cables will invalidate the warranty.

This is something I can partially subscribe to as I use manufacturers cables in my Rega system, which besides being good value, compared to higher priced speaker cables and interconnects, also gives excellent sonic performance.

Floyddroid
12-11-2014, 07:27
The NVA may seem good value unless you have heard your mini amp Rich.
When considering the bargain you will need to factor in the additional cost of cables from the manufacturer as I understand using other cables will invalidate the warranty.

This is something I can partially subscribe to as I use manufacturers cables in my Rega system, which besides being good value, compared to higher priced speaker cables and interconnects, also gives excellent sonic performance.

RichB
12-11-2014, 09:00
The NVA may seem good value unless you have heard your mini amp Rich.

I think the Mini 1 amp is like Marmite in terms of how people respond to it... It would be interesting to compare with the NVA if anyone had one they'd be willing to bring along to NEBO they'd both get a fair a crack of the whip eh?

Marco
12-11-2014, 09:43
Off topic posts have been deleted as per my previous message.

if anyone wishes to discuss balanced mains units please start a new thread in DIY section.

Thanks

Indeed, so let’s do that. I was out yesterday when things kicked off, so have only now had a chance to properly read through what happened.

My view is that Pinky (or indeed anyone else here) is entitled to challenge, by asking legitimate questions of it, the efficacy/safety aspects of any products (audio-related or otherwise) advertised for sale on the Internet. Normally when that happens the manufacturer concerned picks up on such comments from AoS members, via Google searches, then joins the forum and responds accordingly, and a discussion ensues on the matter.

However, the situation we have here, as the product under scrutiny is from NVA, is that as the owner is banned from this site, he has no right of reply. Therefore, in those circumstances it is unethical, and thus inappropriate to question the efficacy, and most importantly safety aspects of the product’s design, without the ability of the manufacturer to defend himself and his products - and that applies regardless of whether the technical criticisms of the BMU in question, outlined by Richard, were right or wrong.

Therefore, I’m upholding the decision of the mods (in my absence) to remove the offending posts, and would ask that if anyone wishes to continue discussing the subject of balanced mains units, to follow Martin’s suggestion and start a new thread in the DIY room, without any specific, or indeed 'cunningly disguised’, indirect mention of the NVA BMU.

However, there will be no blanket ban imposed in future on discussing NVA products. The ban is on mentioning the manufacturer or his forum, not his products. However, in the absence of any right of reply here from RD, I would ask that in future any discussion of NVA products is limited to subjective issues relating to their sonic performance and other matters outside of calling into question technical and safety aspects of their design, unless it is warranted under exceptional circumstances.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

walpurgis
12-11-2014, 10:05
I would ask that in future any discussion of NVA products is limited to subjective issues relating to their sonic performance and other matters outside of calling into question technical and safety aspects of their design, unless it is warranted under exceptional circumstances.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Marco, can we do this for all manufacturers? Issues regarding safety and quality should generally (as has been said a few times) be taken up with the manufacturer or the appropriate authority. Particularly with regard to current production models.

Marco
12-11-2014, 10:07
Sure, Geoff. It’s simply the right thing to do :)

Marco.

Marco
12-11-2014, 10:23
Hi Dave,

I get it both ends - why do I fuggin' bother? RD is banned here and asks that people pass comments over as he cannot. I do so, stressing I have NOTHING to do with the BMU in any shape or form. I stated that only NVA users bought this, but that was wrong so I've been broadsided from behind, so to speak. Sorry Anthony, I'm not shilling the brand, or at least trying not to consciously. Apologies if you think I am!

With respect, Anthony was quite right to challenge you. Your status on this forum is as DSJR, a contributing member, not as RD’s appointed mouthpiece - and no matter how much you don’t see your contributions as being such, *that* is precisely how they're coming across, so please, no more!

I’ve already outlined how inappropriate discussion of NVA products will not be permitted, therefore in future you will have nothing to defend on RD’s behalf, so please restrict your comments here to solely being about hi-fi and music.

Furthermore, given your recent commercial association with NVA, please keep your references to the company and its products to a minimum (with no mention of RD himself outside of a hi-fi context), unless in that respect you wish to register as a consultant, on behalf of NVA, and pay the appropriate trade membership fee.

Cheers! :)

Marco.

DSJR
15-11-2014, 16:54
Marco, I'm trying as always to be fair and accept your and Anthony's points, but I feel that rather than 'promoting' the brand, I was trying to use my new familiarity with the brand to help put right some misconceptions about it since the main man cannot answer himself here. There's plenty of others, non electronic people, who have firm 'attitudes' on things totally outside their 'core competence' (to quote B&O :eek:) and who stir the pot without any real understanding of what they're saying and sometimes, the likes of me can try to set the record straight in a genuine and helpful manner:)

Anyway, I'm not so heavily involved as to pay £50pa for a trade 'badge' so I'd better leave it here. Hope I haven't rocked the boat too heavily on this one :rolleyes:

Marco
15-11-2014, 17:27
Hi Dave,

Nope, not at all. I totally understand and appreciate where you’re coming from.

However, as you now have a commercial relationship with NVA, no matter how hard you try for it not to be the case, people will view what you write about the company and its products as coming from a position of bias, so in that respect it’s best that you keep comments about NVA to a minimum - indeed, to prevent any ‘awkward situations' occurring in future, I would insist on it.

As far as anything else goes, however, feel free to inform/correct misconceptions as often as you consider is necessary. Your input there is always appreciated! :)

Marco.

DSJR
15-11-2014, 18:43
Thanks for the clarification :)

Marco
15-11-2014, 18:55
Nientos problemos :cool:

I should point out that if an NVA product here is blatantly being misrepresented, then you are certainly welcome to amend the matter by posting the facts on behalf of the manufacturer. However, general NVA product recommendations should be avoided, lest you leave yourself open to criticism of shilling.

Marco.

Marco
16-11-2014, 13:55
As Macca has stated elsewhere:

Due to his financial interest Dave may not promote or recommend the brand but he may answer questions about it or correct any factual inaccuracies.

I can confirm that the above is the official AoS position in reference to DSJR’s relationship here in connection with NVA. In that respect, there should be no ‘grey areas' :)

Marco.

Floyddroid
30-11-2014, 16:00
Strange as it may seem in all the years i have been interested in Hifi i have never heard anything by NVA.:D

MCRU
30-11-2014, 16:34
Strange as it may seem in all the years i have been interested in Hifi i have never heard anything by NVA.:D

Me neither :)

Oldpinkman
30-11-2014, 16:43
Me neither :)

I finally got to see one the other night, but it was in bits and a non-runner. Shame - I'd have liked to hear it :(

Mr Kipling
30-11-2014, 20:23
Despite being a cake-eater all my life, (well, most of it) I've never had a ginger parkin.

We did have a ginger tom, at one point, though.

Didn't actually eat it.

Mr Kipling
30-11-2014, 20:32
I finally got to see one the other night, but it was in bits and a non-runner. Shame - I'd have liked to hear it :(

Was that at Aintree or Doncaster?

Marco
30-11-2014, 20:45
We did have a ginger tom, at one point, though.

Didn't actually eat it.

Yeah, they’re a bit filling.

Marco.

RichB
30-11-2014, 21:00

Nope, me neither.

It'd be interesting to get some NVA stuff to NEBO. I'll take my brio-r and we can finally see what's what.