PDA

View Full Version : New Kontrapunkt B?

Ammonite Audio
08-11-2014, 13:28
I am rather fond of the Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, and I suspect that it's necessary to spend quite a lot of money nowadays to match it, let alone better it (certainly looking at the Cadenza prices!).

There are just a few NOS Kontrapunkt B cartridges for sale at £750 in Germany, via a well-known auction site; and I'm tempted to buy one, to keep as a spare. I am not about to shell out twice as much for a Cadenza nor got anything else at that price, so my question is whether the panel agrees that a NOS KB at that price is worth snapping up? Knowing that I like the KB very much, my feeling is that it is worth the outlay, but I'd be interested to hear others' opinions.

My old KB has been re-tipped a couple of times and I'm aware that there's not much that can be done internally to keep them going, so at some point it's going to be impossible to keep going, hence my interest in a new one.

Clive197
08-11-2014, 19:24
Yes, Yes, Yes. Even though I've got a Cadenza, I miss my Kontrapunct B.

Wakefield Turntables
08-11-2014, 19:55
I hated the Kontrapunkt, thought the Rohmann was ok, and was in ecstatic when I found the Black!

vouk
09-11-2014, 10:02
The KB is a good cartridge though, I think that the newer Cadenza Red is a better all rounder.
For about the same price (or less), you are in Benz ACE/Glider, ZYX R-100, Sumiko Blackbird, Dynavector DV-20 territory all of which, IMO, would better the KB.
The used market can certainly be your friend: I've recently seen near mint Benz Ruby/Ref, high end Shelters, Transfiguration and Lyra cartridges drop below the 800-900 euro mark.

Ammonite Audio
09-11-2014, 12:34
Interesting observations! I've not heard any Cadenza, but all the prices are higher than I can justify. I have a Benz Wood SL which swaps places with the KB as the mood takes me - I like both very much. I would take issue with your recommendation of the Dynavector, though: after trashing a Benz Glider I bought a DV-20 and without doubt it was the most boring, sullen, musically lead-foooted cartridge that I've owned, which just goes to prove that we are all very different, with different tastes.

I think that I'm destined to buy one of these new KBs, largely since they are a known entity with no risk attached. Buying used carries too much risk, with potentially expensive refurbishment costs.

The KB is a good cartridge though, I think that the newer Cadenza Red is a better all rounder.
For about the same price (or less), you are in Benz ACE/Glider, ZYX R-100, Sumiko Blackbird, Dynavector DV-20 territory all of which, IMO, would better the KB.
The used market can certainly be your friend: I've recently seen near mint Benz Ruby/Ref, high end Shelters, Transfiguration and Lyra cartridges drop below the 800-900 euro mark.

337alant
10-11-2014, 00:44
I also love my Kontrapunct B and bought another one from the same German web site for 700 quid it sounded awful :doh: I looked at it with my microscope and the tip was virtually immersed in a blob of glue?, I complained to William Thacker and they said send it back so I did and they said they sent it back to Ortofon for a replacement and send me another one back which seems fine but for some reason still doesn't sound as good as my old one ?
This could be the headshell though as they are not the same :scratch:

Must admit I would love to try a Cadenza Black :eyebrows:

Alan

vouk
10-11-2014, 06:53
Interesting observations! I've not heard any Cadenza, but all the prices are higher than I can justify. I have a Benz Wood SL which swaps places with the KB as the mood takes me - I like both very much. I would take issue with your recommendation of the Dynavector, though: after trashing a Benz Glider I bought a DV-20 and without doubt it was the most boring, sullen, musically lead-foooted cartridge that I've owned, which just goes to prove that we are all very different, with different tastes.

I think that I'm destined to buy one of these new KBs, largely since they are a known entity with no risk attached. Buying used carries too much risk, with potentially expensive refurbishment costs.

Makes perfect sense; and the KB is indeed a good one. Quite surprised to hear that the Dynavector didn't do it for you. Always thought of it as a benchmark in its price range. But, as you rightly said, different tastes....

PS: Maybe the topic for a new thread: How many of us have trashed a Benz Glider? Brilliant cartridge but has put me off naked cartridges for good.:eek:

vouk
10-11-2014, 06:56
I also love my Kontrapunct B and bought another one from the same German web site for 700 quid it sounded awful :doh: I looked at it with my microscope and the tip was virtually immersed in a blob of glue?, I complained to William Thacker and they said send it back so I did and they said they sent it back to Ortofon for a replacement and send me another one back which seems fine but for some reason still doesn't sound as good as my old one ?
This could be the headshell though as they are not the same :scratch:

Must admit I would love to try a Cadenza Black :eyebrows:

Alan

The Cadenza Black is a fine cartridge indeed; better than the Jubilee and IMO every bit as good as the A90.

Ammonite Audio
10-11-2014, 07:14
PS: Maybe the topic for a new thread: How many of us have trashed a Benz Glider? Brilliant cartridge but has put me off naked cartridges for good.:eek:

Indeed. I'd have another Glider without hesitation, if it was just a question of sound quality, but the risk of expensive damage is too high. I am at a loss to understand why Benz refuse to supply a simple stylus guard, even with the bodied cartridges.

I also love my Kontrapunct B and bought another one from the same German web site for 700 quid it sounded awful I looked at it with my microscope and the tip was virtually immersed in a blob of glue?, I complained to William Thacker and they said send it back so I did and they said they sent it back to Ortofon for a replacement and send me another one back which seems fine but for some reason still doesn't sound as good as my old one ?
This could be the headshell though as they are not the same

I wonder if these are 'manufacture refurbished' cartridges. Probably not, but since they are being sold via eBay as 'new' there is actually no risk in buying, courtesy of eBay's buyer protection. As for variable sound quality, headshells would most certainly make a difference, because the KB is rather low compliance and sensitive to overall arm mass.

Barry
10-11-2014, 14:23
Indeed. I'd have another Glider without hesitation, if it was just a question of sound quality, but the risk of expensive damage is too high. I am at a loss to understand why Benz refuse to supply a simple stylus guard, even with the bodied cartridges.

I agree - it shows a quite arrogant attitude by the manufacturer. Benz are not the only manufacturer to neglect, or refuse, to supply a stylus guard - Koetsu are just as bad.

Don't these manufacturers realise that their cartridge could well be fitted into arms having a fixed headshell - a process which makes the cartridge stylus especially vulnerable to damage!

Ammonite Audio
11-11-2014, 15:59
It's done - new KB on its way from Germany

vouk
11-11-2014, 16:13
Happy listening! :cool: