PDA

View Full Version : Supertramp...favourite albums?

Reffc
07-11-2014, 07:51
Having something of a rediscovery of my prog-rock collection and can't think why I haven't played more Supertramp in recent years. Just rediscovered several albums and listening has made me think the unthinkable....I think I prefer their music to Pink Floyd (heresy????).

Whilst their self titled album is a must-have, simply because the energy and originality are still fresh today, the other top albums for me have to be:

Crime of the Century
Even in the Quietest Moments
Breakfast In America

There just doesn't seem to be any group going today that can match their song writing, energy and talent. I love the scale of their music, not your average "lead guitar, rhythm (bass), keyboard and drums" but a virtual rock orchestra creating a wall and depth of sound. Great stuff.

The first edition vinyl pressings are supremely produced.

Your favourites?

Ali Tait
07-11-2014, 08:04
My fave has always been Live In Paris.

Martyn Miles
07-11-2014, 08:05
Having something of a rediscovery of my prog-rock collection and can't think why I haven't played more Supertramp in recent years. Just rediscovered several albums and listening has made me think the unthinkable....I think I prefer their music to Pink Floyd (heresy????).

Whilst their self titled album is a must-have, simply because the energy and originality are still fresh today, the other top albums for me have to be:

Crime of the Century
Breakfast In America

There just doesn't seem to be any group going today that can match their song writing, energy and talent. I love the scale of their music, not your average "lead guitar, rhythm (bass), keyboard and drums" but a virtual rock orchestra creating a wall and depth of sound. Great stuff.

Your favourites?

'Breakfast' is my favourite. I have always loved the line, 'Take a look at my girlfriend,
She's the only one I got.'

Didn't go down too well with my girlfriend at the time...

prestonchipfryer
07-11-2014, 08:21
Crime of the Century for me. This has to be one of the greatest pr albs of all time. For me anyway. I have an MFSL, a half-speed master and a gold MFSL on CD. Oh and a 200g copy as well. It's not heresy to say you prefer Supertramp to the Pink Floyd.

Reffc
07-11-2014, 09:19
My fave has always been Live In Paris.

Not listened to that one...must make time to Spotify it.

Reffc
07-11-2014, 09:20
'Breakfast' is my favourite. I have always loved the line, 'Take a look at my girlfriend,
She's the only one I got.'

Didn't go down too well with my girlfriend at the time...

:lol: classic line. My wife still doesn't like that one!

MikeMusic
07-11-2014, 09:37
My top favourites

Supertramp - self titled
Crime of the Century
Even in the quietest moments

shane
07-11-2014, 09:40
Crime of the Century
Crisis? What Crisis?

LittleTone
07-11-2014, 10:25
Reference vinyl in my day, along with Joan Armatrading and Cat Stevens

Crime of the Century
Breakfast In America

Your favourites?

struth
07-11-2014, 10:47
Crime of the century. 180 gram version is one of the best sonically around. It's also their best imo

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 10:58
As I only have the one I guess it must be my favourite - Breakfast in America.

Like it but it has never tempted me to go out and try any more. Good quality pop to me, not much more.

Ali Tait
07-11-2014, 11:15
Not listened to that one...must make time to Spotify it.

Well worth it, and a very good live recording IMHO.

Reffc
07-11-2014, 11:34
As I only have the one I guess it must be my favourite - Breakfast in America.

Like it but it has never tempted me to go out and try any more. Good quality pop to me, not much more.

"....not much more"? Now go and wash your mouth out with soap and water young man! :ner::ner::ner:

I can understand your point, if it's a genre you're not that fussed on, but the same could then be said to apply to all prog rock.

Taken in isolation though, there is some real merit in both the musical compositions and arrangements with many Supertramp songs. They went through some whirlwind years with early band departures, a change from prog rock to "English Rock" and "Rock-Pop" with Hodgson finally deciding to leave in '83 which was a shame. It's odd that such bad feeling and distrust was generated between him and Davies, because Davies declined to take part in taking LSD with Hodgson who seemed hell bent on self destruction until he hid himself away to the mountains of Northern California to "find" himself and offer his family much needed stability. Quite a classic rock storyline really. I think the band managed to do pretty well without Hodgson all things considered.

synsei
07-11-2014, 12:06
Actually I am with Gordon on this one, never regarded Supertramp as a prog outfit but then I've never been one to pigeonhole music. Gotta be Crime Of The Century and Breakfast for me. My two fave ST tracks are Take The Long Way Home and Hide In Your Shell

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 12:09
"....not much more"? Now go and wash your mouth out with soap and water young man! :ner::ner::ner:

I can understand your point, if it's a genre you're not that fussed on, but the same could then be said to apply to all prog rock.

Taken in isolation though, there is some real merit in both the musical compositions and arrangements with many Supertramp songs. They went through some whirlwind years with early band departures, a change from prog rock to "English Rock" and "Rock-Pop" with Hodgson finally deciding to leave in '83 which was a shame. It's odd that such bad feeling and distrust was generated between him and Davies, because Davies declined to take part in taking LSD with Hodgson who seemed hell bent on self destruction until he hid himself away to the mountains of Northern California to "find" himself and offer his family much needed stability. Quite a classic rock storyline really. I think the band managed to do pretty well without Hodgson all things considered.

:lol:

Of course. Prog rock is just a label. To call Supertramp good pop is to include them with same group as the Beatles, Stones,Kinks, Genesis etc as far as I'm concerned so hardly a slur. Good music is good music and the labels are only there to sort stuff in our heads. My main stuff is 'classical' and 'jazz'. To see the various labels that separate one from 'tother makes me laugh. Perhaps I can understand classical music being broken up into periods because of the time that has passed. Maybe when someone is looking back 100 years from now (assuming there is anyone here) it may make some sense to break it down a little.

Roy S
07-11-2014, 12:21
Never liked 'em

Reffc
07-11-2014, 13:13
:lol:

Of course. Prog rock is just a label. To call Supertramp good pop is to include them with same group as the Beatles, Stones,Kinks, Genesis etc as far as I'm concerned so hardly a slur. Good music is good music and the labels are only there to sort stuff in our heads. My main stuff is 'classical' and 'jazz'. To see the various labels that separate one from 'tother makes me laugh. Perhaps I can understand classical music being broken up into periods because of the time that has passed. Maybe when someone is looking back 100 years from now (assuming there is anyone here) it may make some sense to break it down a little.

I wasn't really getting too hung up on labels tbh Gordon (my response was tongue in cheek). Good music is good music, although I never (and still don't) see the fascination with the Beatles...for the most part I dislike their noise.

My main stuff spans many more genres than just a couple, including classical, blues, jazz, folk, prog rock, metal, pop, Americana. As genres do exist, they get labels...perfectly natural and not something I regard as restrictive. Where classical is concerned, whilst its true that you can break it up into periods, you can also further divide between light chamber, symphonic, operatic, choral etc etc, so again, I do find it helpful to categorise. I tend to store mine by composer though rather than any category or period.

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 13:29
although I never (and still don't) see the fascination with the Beatles...for the most part I dislike their noise.

What was that about washing your mouth out:eek: :ner::ner::ner:

Pheasant.

Reffc
07-11-2014, 15:07
What was that about washing your mouth out:eek: :ner::ner::ner:

Pheasant.

I do beg your pudding Gordon...what I meant to say, of course, was that I dislike their appalling noise :ner::ner::ner::ner::lol:

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 15:29
I do beg your pudding Gordon...what I meant to say, of course, was that I dislike their appalling noise :ner::ner::ner::ner::lol:

I assume you mean Apollonian -relating to the rational, ordered, and self-disciplined aspects of human nature - which sums up the depth, majesty and deep meaningfulness of the Beatles music.

Bit like my posts here.

MikeMusic
07-11-2014, 15:37
Saw them live just after they made the 1st album
Staggeringly good. Yes, Prog at the time

Wish they had captured that live set as it was even better than the album

Barry
07-11-2014, 16:12
For me, in order of preference it would be:

1 Chris, What Crisis?
2 Breakfast in America
3 Crime of the Century.

I found 'Even in The Quietest Moments' a big disappointment. :(

Reffc
07-11-2014, 17:34
I assume you mean Apollonian -relating to the rational, ordered, and self-disciplined aspects of human nature - which sums up the depth, majesty and deep meaningfulness of the Beatles music.

Bit like my posts here.

...no. I definitely meant "Appalling" relating to the over-hyped, under-maligned meaningless racket that they passed off as music ;):ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::D

Reffc
07-11-2014, 17:42
For me, in order of preference it would be:

1 Chris, What Crisis?
2 Breakfast in America
3 Crime of the Century.

I found 'Even in The Quietest Moments' a big disappointment. :(

I guess part of its problem was having too few tracks (partly due to the mammoth 12 minute "fool's Overture) and only one hit song on the album. I find it an album where you have to be in the mood to appreciate it, but there's still some good music in there.

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 17:45
...no. I definitely meant "Appalling" relating to the over-hyped, under-maligned meaningless racket that they passed off as music ;):ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::D
...and yet you like Prog Rock:scratch:

Reffc
07-11-2014, 18:01
...and yet you like Prog Rock:scratch:

Some prog rock Gordon, not all. It's not the genre I appreciate, it's individual pieces of what I consider to be timeless classics; enjoyable and without the hoards of pretty meaningless, talentless pap that passes for music today, controlled by a music industry that controls everything from the performers themselves to timing, lyrics, image etc etc. Even some prog rock, you have to admit, was penned by talented musicians and lyricists without half the controlling shackles of today's mega industry, and that freedom led to some very original and enjoyable music by some very talented and unique musicians.

Gordon Steadman
07-11-2014, 19:30
Some prog rock Gordon, not all. It's not the genre I appreciate, it's individual pieces of what I consider to be timeless classics; enjoyable and without the hoards of pretty meaningless, talentless pap that passes for music today, controlled by a music industry that controls everything from the performers themselves to timing, lyrics, image etc etc. Even some prog rock, you have to admit, was penned by talented musicians and lyricists without half the controlling shackles of today's mega industry, and that freedom led to some very original and enjoyable music by some very talented and unique musicians.

Yes indeed. There is great and dross everywhere. Sadly the dross seems to be winning at the present time. Maybe I'm just getting old.

johnB
07-11-2014, 20:47
From "Superdeluxedition" today if interested.
Universal Music will reissue Supertramp‘s 1974 album Crime of the Century next month, and the top-of-the-range format is the 3LP vinyl box set which adds a previously unreleased concert from London’s Hammersmith Odeon in March 1975 to the remastered version of the album. This set is £56 from Amazon UK but if you’re quick you can secure from Amazon Canada for WAY less than that.

At the time of writing this box (which also comes with art cards and a booklet with a 7,500 word essay by Phil Alexander of Mojo Magazine) is just $36 CA which is a fraction over £20! As always, consider cost of importing, but this is undoubtedly a great deal. Note: the vinyl comes with a download card.

Crime of the Century is reissued on 8 December 2014.

Reffc
08-11-2014, 06:08
From "Superdeluxedition" today if interested.
Universal Music will reissue Supertramp‘s 1974 album Crime of the Century next month, and the top-of-the-range format is the 3LP vinyl box set which adds a previously unreleased concert from London’s Hammersmith Odeon in March 1975 to the remastered version of the album. This set is £56 from Amazon UK but if you’re quick you can secure from Amazon Canada for WAY less than that.

At the time of writing this box (which also comes with art cards and a booklet with a 7,500 word essay by Phil Alexander of Mojo Magazine) is just $36 CA which is a fraction over £20! As always, consider cost of importing, but this is undoubtedly a great deal. Note: the vinyl comes with a download card.

Crime of the Century is reissued on 8 December 2014.

Great shout John, thanks for that. Pre-ordered! There's a few Canadian vinyl sellers able to undercut any of the UK suppliers quite considerably. I've done business with them in the past and received LPs within a week. That particular offer looks like it won't be bettered this side of the pond.

DanJennings
09-11-2014, 11:50
This thread inspired me to play the self titled album for the first time in about 15 years yesterday. Loved it.
Although my favourite is probably Crime Of The Century almost purely because of 'School' and 'Bloody Well Right'

Reffc
09-11-2014, 17:04
This thread inspired me to play the self titled album for the first time in about 15 years yesterday. Loved it.
Although my favourite is probably Crime Of The Century almost purely because of 'School' and 'Bloody Well Right'

:)

Canetoad
10-11-2014, 05:36
I used to think Crime of the Century was their best album but I listened to my vinyl copy of Breakfast in America a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I think it just pips Crime as my favourite. :)

Rush2112
10-11-2014, 05:55
One of my favourites, no real bad albums for me, though : Even in the Quietest Moments and Crisis What Crises don't get mentioned very often or for that matter Famous Last Words. Saw them live twice once when Hodgeson was still with them and once much later both times were great concerts great musicianship and rapport .

Rush2112
11-11-2014, 07:23
Well they are one of my favourite all time British groups and as much as Breakfast in America and Crime of the Century are indeed great albums it's worth mentioning Crisis What Crisis, Even In The Quietest Moments and Famous Last Words all of which are really good too ! I have seen them live twice, once when Hodgeson was still in the band and then again much later without him on both occasions the musicianship was excellent and the rapport with the audience great too if you not sure where to start check out the Live in Paris LP, CD or DVD (the latter is not all the same recordings as the album) which is a great introduction to Supertramp

Rush2112
11-11-2014, 07:23
Sorry added a bit more !!!

MikeMusic
12-11-2014, 09:47
If there was only a video of their very early gigs I think most would be surprised and delighted
Most left the group after then

I had a quick look on YouTube but 1970/71 seems a bit old for a group no one knew about
:(