PDA

View Full Version : Original Goldring Lenco GL75

Jimbo
04-11-2014, 12:26
Hi Folks,

a friend of mine has just been given a Goldring Lenco GL75 in original mint condition after a garage clear out!

Can anyone let me know what this TT would be worth?

Audio Al
04-11-2014, 12:46
Hi Folks,

a friend of mine has just been given a Goldring Lenco GL75 in original mint condition after a garage clear out!

It's worth what someone is willing to pay

Look on ebay completed listings is your best bet

Or tell him to keep and use it ;)

Tarzan
04-11-2014, 13:00
Hi Folks,

PM me your addy- l will send you a tenner and take a chance......

Seriously if your friend is a music fan then l would tell him to keep it.

Jimbo
04-11-2014, 15:06
PM me your addy- l will send you a tenner and take a chance......

Seriously if your friend is a music fan then l would tell him to keep it.

Hi Andy,

I told him to keep it as I think it would be better than his Dual.

I don't think he wants to sell, as he thought it was only worth about £30! :lol:

Tarzan
04-11-2014, 16:31
:)

DSJR
04-11-2014, 16:55
I love Duals dearly, but they really need to be the idler models from the 1970's. Some of the chunkier looking belt drive models were good as well if belts are replaced regularly and most of the 7 series direct driven decks (with sprung deck plates) are legendary for their surprisingly good sound quality. In my opinion, a later Dual 504 or 505 series deck with lightweight deck-plate and thin platter sitting on small plastic hub are just not substantial enough sonically and can sound positively scrappy in comparison with an inexpensive CD player :eek:

As for the GL75? Decks that haven't been got at will now need more new V blocks in the tonearm as they actually lasted less than ten years if the deck was used a lot. Seller Dezmo on eBay makes some fine solid replacements for these. The main bearing will need a service at least (replacement bronze sleeves, if necessary, are also available commercially and there are many threads on Lenco Heaven about this and also souped-up replacements. The idler wheel should also be carefully checked and cleaned. The mat is perfect for the deck and shouldn't be replaced initially. The audio exit leads to the amp can be replaced with van Damme or similar.

Now, what is it worth? I like the tonearm as-is and one day, someone will make a replacement wand/shell/counterweight assembly for it I hope, as the bearing block, cueing and bias assembly is fine. Only the clumpy shell and springy counterweight system is regarded as dated these days, although the arm will take many modern cartridges ok - think DL110 for example... I sold my last one minus plinth for around fifty quid (it had all the manuals, strobe and was little used) and good complete ones can go for very much more than this these days, now G88's and G99's are so rare. people tent to butcher the arm off them or even slice away the arm area of the top plate so they can cannibalise what's left of the top plate, together with the drive assembly.

The GL75 is to me, an arm-tube short of a truly great turntable regardless of age. As it is, the existing deck and arm can sound very engaging, powerful and NEVER boring :) Just my tuppence worth... A Thorens 150 and 160 mat sound a little more 'nimble,' but not sure if they're really any 'better!'

The Barbarian
05-11-2014, 14:43
Depends on how early it is & if it's a Lenco 'L75' or Goldring/Lenco 'G75'

Early 'L75' did not use 'V' blocks

Jimbo
05-11-2014, 14:55
Depends on how early it is & if it's a Lenco 'L75' or Goldring/Lenco 'G75'

Early 'L75' did not use 'V' blocks

It is a GL75, still got a Shure M44-7 cartridge attached.

The Barbarian
05-11-2014, 14:58
Well i sold one of my 'GL75's last year for £80.00. Kept back my late 'L75' & 'L70' units for old times sake..