PDA

View Full Version : AVI kicks out trad hi-fi shocker!

Steve Toy
23-03-2008, 15:06
If the traditional 2-channel hi-fi separates industry (passive amps - valve, semi conductor ot hybrid, CD players, turntables, speakers, stands and cables) is in decline then products like AVI ADM9s only serve to precipite such a demise as well the pursuit of excellence that goes with it.

Discuss. (Ashley and JC are welcome here)

stupinder
23-03-2008, 15:17
I quite like all the bells and whisles of 5.1 et al but my heart tells me it's just that - bells and whistles. 2 ears two speakers and aslittle in between as poss' - -make up own joke about two ears and as little in between as poss!!.
With regards the actual question - There are only so many people who are going to take listening to music/film to the nth degree and the more companies try to tell this finite number of people that their product is best the more the market will force out the smaller"cottage industry" manufacturers who make hifi the way it should be - regardless of marketing hype - purely for the sound!
Like i said -i dunno i bought Linn

Colinx
23-03-2008, 16:51
Two channel will only die when people are prepared to exchange quality for convenience. Much the same as vinyl as a source was going to die when CD came on the scene. Some people care about the quality of the sound, as much as they car about the music, one being an aid to the other, (which way round is sometimes hard to tell). MP anything, or its equivalent is a easy to use, and carry, music source, but as far as I am concerned, especially at the lower bit rates, not for serious listening. From listening to my sons friends, it appears my lads are in the minority, as they actually buy hard copies of the music they want, and rip it for use on portable players, others regard illegal downloads as a valid way to obtain music. My Son's have the same feeling as me, OK for CD, while mine is more for Vinyl, but a music collection is just that, it is a collection of music that you enjoyed at the time of purchase, and continue to enjoy years after purchase, it is a lifetimes collection, for a lifetimes enjoyment. Digital downloads seem to more about instant gratification, and probably just as instant deletion.

If things like a Mac and ADM9's encourage people to enjoy music more, it may well be that far from being a instrument that heralds the death knell of two channel gear, it actually encourages people to find out what the alternatives are. Dealers maybe need to embrace digital and use it too show what a flac file, through a decent DAC into a valve pre/ power combo and larger speakers can do (example only). It may not be for me, but the dealers should not fight shy of computer stored digital music, but should show what it can do given a chance.

NRG
23-03-2008, 18:09
I think two channel 'traditional' stereo died a long while ago. The average household moved from separates/Mini/Midi systems to portable Ipod systems a few years back. I know from my circle of friends and work colleagues that only one still uses a 'traditional' stereo system because he's passionate about the subject as I am.

All the others use Ipod devices in docking stations and only some use 5.1. This is done for flexibility, convenience and life style, decluttering of the home from ugly boxes and racks of CD's. The sound quality is, I'm afraid, as good as the Midi systems they replaced.

The Ipod and downloads are fast replacing CD's not digital streaming from PC/Mac/PS3. Streaming from these devices seems to have been adopted more by the audiophile community than the average person at home.

I stream music from a PC in my Garage with wireless access point allowing me music/radio and news to be available anywhere in the house. But I still have a traditional stereo system with valve and vinyl, so it's a hybrid at the moment. I now have no CD's in the house.

I may never move from this configuration and can understand people liking the idea of active 'speakers with inbuilt USB and DAC ports. Technically it seems to have much going for it, however, I enjoy the DIY part of Hi-Fi and like the flexibility of separate components. I also have a large vinyl collection which I believe sounds best when played though a good valve amp.