PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, November 2014: Frank Zappa - 'Hot Rats'

Album Club
02-11-2014, 00:18
Apologies are due for the slight delay in announcing this month’s Album Club choice. This was due to a necessary last-minute change in rota order. We have to thank Barry for stepping into the breech and suggesting Frank Zappa’s ‘Hot Rats’.

Frank Zappa – ‘Hot Rats’

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VLCjyY73L._SY355_.jpg

Of all of Zappa’s output, which to put it mildly is substantial; this album might be regarded as one of his most accessible and a good introduction to Frank Zappa. Now that might sound slightly patronising: ‘entry level’, something for beginners, but it’s not. I have chosen it, as some of Zappa’s work is hard to ‘get into’ on first acquaintance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Rats

This album was the first solo studio-recording made by Zappa in 1969, after having disbanded The Mothers of Invention and whilst Zappa was recovering from an accident, when he was pulled offstage by an enthusiastic fan during a performance at the Albert Hall in London, causing Zappa to break his leg.

The album is almost entirely instrumental, with only one vocal track: ‘Willy the Pimp’. It is well known that Zappa was always interested in classical composition, having been inspired from an early age by the works of Edgar Varèse. In this album one can hear some ideas Zappa had which would eventually lead to some of his more ostensible classical compositions. Overall ‘Hot Rats’ might be conveniently pigeonholed under the genre ‘jazz rock’, but as with all things Zappa, such generalisation is misleading and inaccurate. In fact some of the tracks are reminiscent of the film music of Richard Rodney Bennett; indeed in the sleeve notes Zappa describes the album as a “movie for your ears”. However it is filed, the album has universally been described as a masterpiece; a description with which I would wholeheartedly concur.

There are six tracks on the album:

1 Peaches En Regalia
2 Willie the Pimp
3 Son of Mr Green Genes
4 Little Umbrellas
5 Gumbo Variations
3 It Must Be a Camel

It starts with a joyous up-beat fanfare: ‘Peaches en Regalia’, followed by the delightfully saucy ‘Willie the Pimp’, featuring Captain Beefheart on vocals and Sugar Cane Harris on violin. ‘Little Umbrellas’ has a nice sleazy Kurt Weill feel to it. ‘Son of Mr Green Genes’ is a good example of Zappa’s compositional and guitar playing skills. ‘Gumbo Variations’ is a veritable tour de force of jazz-rock/rock-jazz with some fine sax playing by Ian Underwood (the only member of the Mothers of Invention, retained by Zappa after he disbanded the group) with Sugar cane Harris on electric violin. After the manic energy of ‘Gumbo Variations’, ‘It Must Be a Camel’ is the perfect antidote, and nicely finishes off this “movie for your ears”, with Ian Underwood on keyboards, flute and clarinet and Jean Luc Ponty on violin. The ending of ‘It Must Be a Camel’ always reminds me of Gershwin for some reason.

There are two versions or mixes of this album. The first version to appear on CD, in 1987, was a re-mix achieved when Zappa handed over his catalogue to Rykodisc. Later the original mix used on the LP was transferred to CD in 2012, and for many, including myself, is regarded as the better version. Zappa Records ZR 3841

I think it’s brilliant – hope you enjoy it too.

PegsHwCW6WY

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/0WYYrC9My9rYWigac003hw/3toxxSU3TcvzgmeR8LLUiX

Grooveshark: http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Hot+Rats+Remastered/5423234
For some reason, the remastered version on Grooveshark omits the vocal track ‘Willie the Pimp’.

Barry
10-11-2014, 19:29
Not surprisingly I’m giving this a 10.

Is there nobody out there who wants to listen to this classic album and comment appropriately?

walpurgis
10-11-2014, 19:42
Well I've got it on CD and the original UK release LP, bought new when it came out.

I've voted 7/10, as it's not my favourite Zappa album (Willie the Pimp is great though, With The Captain doing his bit).

Mike g
10-11-2014, 20:45
I recently thought I should try some Zappa and for no apparent reason chose this to download onto my phone from napster. I quite like trying new material when I'm driving or out and about. I've had this on heavy repeat especially when I'm the office at work - it is perfect to have in through headphones and shut out the outside world. Loads of great hooks and very tight playing. It almost veers into parody at times (ie you could hear someone saying "and next on jazz club it's Frank Zappa!") but always saves itself. It is just so catchy in places.

struth
14-11-2014, 23:04
First time Ive seen this thread:doh:

I have not heard this album in over 40 years I think, but I used to like his early work so will try and catch some of it somewhere.(utube probably) Not into spotify .....a nice interesting choice Barry.

Light Dependant Resistor
14-11-2014, 23:23
I gave this 10/10 Hot Rats is one of my favorite Zappa releases. Well recorded and just great listening.

awkwardbydesign
19-11-2014, 10:48
I bought this in 1970, having been a fan of the Mothers, and actually saw Zappa at the Royal Albert hall. I have only given it 5/10. It was the first of his works that made me think he was a bit self regarding and tried too hard to be clever, Lacking in "soul". Before this point in my life (I had just got married) I hadn't noticed this quality in him; a change in me, rather than in him, I believe. I used to believe cleverness was important, much more than I do now. The only album I still have is "Cruising With Reuben And The Jets". Still very clever and self aware, but funny enough to be forgivable.
Sorry.

Marco
20-11-2014, 07:52
First time Ive seen this thread:doh:

Lol… I presume you were aware of the Album Club, though?

Marco.

high.spirits
25-11-2014, 14:49
This is the first time I have listened to Zappa, passed me by completely!

The first 2 tracks we ok but after that from Little Umbrellas on, too jazz like and repetitious for my taste. 5/10 sorry...

struth
25-11-2014, 18:15
Lol… I presume you were aware of the Album Club, though?

Marco.

'em, Nope. advertising needs to be improved marco :)

RMutt
25-11-2014, 18:57
Well, a rare occurrence, an album in Album Club I'm actually familiar with. I acquired this in about 1978 or so. It was given to me in part payment for a fuzz box by a friend who had no cash. I pestered him for payment and eventually he coughed up a few of his older brothers albums (one of which was the now collectable I Spider by Web) by way of recompense. His brother was older and had moved away I think. At the time I was getting into Joy Division, Magazine, The Fall etc. so it got little play at first but over the years, usually when I was feeling a bit pretentious and trying to impress someone, it was dug out and I wrestled with it's Jazziness. I actually ended up liking it a great deal in the end. It's now been in the loft with all my other LP's for about fifteen years but every now and again I listen to bits of it on spotify. It will never be my favourite album but would be a nine out of ten for old times sake. I never did find out if the older brother discovered what happened.

martinjohn308
08-12-2015, 14:08
Another of my favourite albums Frank Zappa what a guitar player saw him in the late 80's i think the last time he was over, master craftsman.

Regards,

Martin