PDA

View Full Version : hi im a newbee

Sal4070
01-11-2014, 12:44
hi im a 57 retired ,disabled due to ill health and im a lifelong hifi nut.it started when i was a spotty skint 14 year old in cardiff in a hifi shop, i heard a quad set up esl 57s quad pre amp and power amp and i think a linn sondek turntable .I FOUND THE LOVE OF MY LIFE lol. now ive had a lot of hifi in my time wheeling and dealing buying and selling my own gear ,some good ,some great some crap .i now have a marantz cd 17 ki sig cd .pathos logos amp jamo concert 11 speakers i bought a behringer ultracurve 2496 second hand and am thinking of using it as a DAC room correction device, any ideas thoughts comments tips jokes ,must ere music .i like female vocals, i like to here the words not a headbanging sort of guy anyhow sorry its a long one as start thanks john

struth
01-11-2014, 12:56
Welcome John. Hope you enjoy the forum and get involved . if you can post some pics of your system in the gallery section as we like pics here.
Any questions just put up a thread in the appropriate section and sure you'll get plenty help and opinions.
Plenty folk from Wales too here so your in good company

Cheers g

walpurgis
01-11-2014, 14:20
Hello John. Welcome to AOS.

Are you planning any changes to your system? If so, we'd like to hear about them.

Which female artists do you listen to?

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

brian2957
01-11-2014, 14:33
Aye we like the piccies here :lol: Welcome John .

Barry
01-11-2014, 15:02
Welcome to AoS John,

Nice introduction. Do you still use a Quad valve/esl 57 set up?

As others have said, we would love to see some pictures and learn a little more about your tastes in music.

Enjoy the Forum

Sal4070
01-11-2014, 22:43
i love the voice of the late eva cassidy ,so sad a fabulous talented gifted singer .i also like joni mitchell ,whitney houston , beyonce ,emile sande ,celine dion adele, norah jones debbie harry and kate bush also annie lennox . i have a marantz cd 17 ki sig cd player , a pathos logos amp ,and jamo concert 11 speakers .i have a behriger ultra curve pro 2496 dac/room adjuster ive not used it yet is suppose to be a pain to set up im looking for a second hand dac £200 to £300 theta DS pro prime ,M1 or rega of poss audiolab dac prob the theta DS pro prime as my system need a bit of kick up the backside need to use 50% volume to get it going .thanks to all john:lol:

Sal4070
01-11-2014, 23:06
noo to big quads esl 57s gone wife won in the end .lol i did make a pair of stands at the time out of don`t laugh kitchen worktops, approx 20 to 24 inches high off the the floor the width of the esl57s and cut to an angle on the top of the worktops to make the speaker sit up high and vertical, as the 57s sort of lay back away from you, a bit of a pain but i Sh****** you not they sang like a bird then covered them in black speaker cloth to match the esl57s and bobs your uncle ive never seen or heard of this done before in ive not shared this in line or in writing to anyone I PROMISE YOU IT WORKS ITS CHEAP any questions just ask .regards john

Sal4070
02-11-2014, 01:02
I'm trying to buy a theta DS pro prime. Dac for silly money if he will bite Christmas is coming and moneys getting tight ? You never know I might be lucky for a change lol

Sal4070
02-11-2014, 01:07
I had esl57s leak stereo 20 amp and croft preamp and maranta cd17 ki si cd player

Barry
02-11-2014, 01:09
I had esl57s leak stereo 20 amp and croft preamp and maranta cd17 ki si cd player

Should have kept them John - a wonderful combination!

Sal4070
02-11-2014, 01:24
Yep :scratch:you know the grass is always greener as they say:violin: ,that's life two stepps forward and four back sometimes

Eagle owl
02-11-2014, 06:24
Hello and welcome John.

Geoff. :wave:

Sal4070
02-11-2014, 08:24
Hi I just bought a theta DS pro prime 11 with modded power supplies throughout should be here by the the tuesday or wednesday i hope it sounds great

walpurgis
02-11-2014, 10:07
Hi I just bought a theta DS pro prime 11 with modded power supplies throughout should be here by the the tuesday or wednesday i hope it sounds great

Nice unit. You're going to love that. Tell us your opinion once you try it out (bung a photo on too).

jollyfix
02-11-2014, 10:56
Hi John, welcome to AOS. I have not been to Abertillery for years, but a few wks ago i was in Aberbeeg.

Rush2112
04-11-2014, 07:03
Hi John I guess we all started our love affair with hi fi after hearing a system that really got our attention for me it was a friends brother who had a Linn LP 12 LVX A&R P77 A&R A60 and Linn Kans he played Nico and Supertramp and I was blown away ! Female vocals well the obvious I am sure you have but how about Christine Collister, Rebecca Pidgeon, Carol Kidd, Ute Lemper, Roumour, Diana Krall, Diane Schurr, Lena Marlin etc just some of my favourites !

Floyddroid
04-11-2014, 13:46
Great stuff. Welcome

Sal4070
07-11-2014, 21:20
ill dig out my camera soon, i damaged my cd player while fitting the dac ,it was the capstan belt on the loading tray. £1200 cd player and the capstans not secure ,when i sort of bumped it on the granite slab it slid down so i wasn't level and not running true ,so unable to try it out sooner , dumb:doh: f***** ,now ive fixed it tried out the theta dac DS pro prime 11, MO DRAMA wanted MO DRAMA received its at least 25% better sound stage is huge detail its WOW a wall of sound. im very happy the best £200 ive spent on hifi ever.not as good as my Quad esl57s system but bloody good ,i had to sell the quads N W F H not (wife friendly hifi) lol should have kept the quads and got rid of the wife lol

walpurgis
07-11-2014, 21:59
The Theta DACs are nice aren't they. I've had three and none have disappointed.

Andrei
07-11-2014, 22:15
i love the voice of the late eva cassidy ,so sad a fabulous talented gifted singer .i also like joni mitchell ,whitney houston , beyonce ,emile sande ,celine dion adele, norah jones debbie harry and kate bush also annie lennox . i have a marantz cd 17 ki sig cd player , a pathos logos amp ,and jamo concert 11 speakers .i have a behriger ultra curve pro 2496 dac/room adjuster ive not used it yet is suppose to be a pain to set up im looking for a second hand dac £200 to £300 theta DS pro prime ,M1 or rega of poss audiolab dac prob the theta DS pro prime as my system need a bit of kick up the backside need to use 50% volume to get it going .thanks to all john:lol:

Hi from near Australia. I'll add to your already excellent list: Katie Melua, Emmy the Great, Regina Spektor, Florence and the Machine, Judith Durham, Enya ... all good stuff.

diviy
07-11-2014, 22:24
Hi dude another taff on the aos yayyyy

im based in swansea my fav female artist is hazel oconner just love breaking glass

Rush2112
11-11-2014, 14:46
Will You, Eighth Day, Blackman, etc great album not exactly prolific as a recording artist but great to listen to.

Sal4070
21-12-2014, 15:47
Sorry my computers playing up might be me old age lol nice to here from you happy Christmas

Sal4070
21-12-2014, 15:48
Hi from near Australia. I'll add to your already excellent list: Katie Melua, Emmy the Great, Regina Spektor, Florence and the Machine, Judith Durham, Enya ... all good stuff.

Thanks been away computer playing up lol all good to me

Sal4070
21-12-2014, 15:53
Nice unit. You're going to love that. Tell us your opinion once you try it out (bung a photo on too).

Camera still missing I might have lent it to bro new family member a sick audiolab 8000cd an old one need a bit of love I think I've done well £50 on eBay a bloody love eby lol:lol: so will be audiolab cd theta pro prime 11 dac pathos logos amp and jamo concert 11 speakers should be a fair sound

Barry
22-12-2014, 01:18
Reading of the female singers mentioned in this thread, reminds me of another pertinent thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?2640-The-Donkey-Walker-s-Favourite-Female-Vocalists.

Perhaps someone might like to bring it up to date?

Sal4070
23-12-2014, 00:13
Not yet thanks will do doing the Christmas thing ho ho ho bit I will thanks

Sal4070
23-12-2014, 00:21

Yep all good my book as well I've just picket up an audiolab 8000cd faulty for £50.00 an early christmas
Present ho ho ho I've got my new toys to play with pro after Christmas as its coming from Scotland from he back of someone's cupboard I'll bet any how happy Christmas to all you luck b@@@@ srds in sunny Australia it's shut hear cold and wet and raining real welsh weather lol