PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used A Graham Slee Reflex C MC Phono Amp

topdogya
31-10-2014, 18:45
Hi guys

I will be moving over from mm cartridge to mc cartridge very shortly and not sure what route to take with regards to phono amps.

At the moment I am using a Graham Slee Era Gold V phono amp (mm) and have really enjoyed it, once I move over to mc I am not sure whether to go for a one box solution for conventional like the Graham Slee Reflex C MC preamp that has some very good reviews, or go for the Graham Slee Elevator EXP Pre Preamp to use with my Era Gold V phono amp.

Has anyone tried used or heard any of these phono amps and what was your thoughts? Is there any advantage of using a the Era Gold V with the Elevator EXP, Over the Reflex C mc phono amp?.

Thank you for any help you can give me, Regards Steve.

Stratmangler
31-10-2014, 20:26
Rather than umming and aahing about it join the Graham Slee forum - members there have access to a loan system which allows them to try before making any decisions to buy or not.
They're a good, friendly and knowledgeable bunch over there too.

Andrei
31-10-2014, 20:33
I would go for the Elevator route. It keeps the upgrade path open for the future.

montesquieu
31-10-2014, 21:22
I would go for the Elevator route. It keeps the upgrade path open for the future.

I've owned both. The Elevator, for my money, stands the test in any system - a cracking bit of kit by any standards and better than the majority of run of the mill SUTs - takes a truly good (comparably expensive) one to beat it, and one little-regarded benefit is that it's a miracle cure for systems affected by SUT hum.

The Reflex (and the Gold V before it) is good too but lacks a bit of warmth. Nice with something full bodied but you wouldn't want to run it with a cartridge that's too thin and 'audiophool'. In the majority of cases I'd stick with tubes + step-up/head amp. I used it with assorted Shelters, Ortofon Kontrapunkts and a Koetsu Rosewood - but the Reflex was easily bettered by the Conrad Johnson EV1 that replaced it. (The Reflex was what made me get rid of my Lyra Helikon through - too thin and edgy in combination).

Avinunca
05-11-2014, 19:06
I had the Elevator and Reflex M on loan. After a considerable warm up they sounded very good but I have to second the previous comments regarding tubes and SUT. I ended up with a used Hashimoto HM3 (took a year to find one) and a kit tube phono amp. I prefer the presentation - very organic.