PDA

View Full Version : Does my old Nad CD player need cleaning inside ?

Michael loves music
31-10-2014, 09:06
My 25 year old nad 520 CD player sounds good it's not had a lot of wear over the years but does the cd head need cleaning ? I think I read years ago you buy a cd that's cleans it inside ? Any advice most welcome Thankyou ps I'm tight fisted so don't like spending too much

MikeMusic
31-10-2014, 09:33
CD cleaner will do the job fine
This will do the job, cheaper is probably easy enough to find

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hama-cddvd-lens-cleaner/570-7982.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=570-7982&ui=mercury&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Technology%20%26%20Gaming%20Accesso ries_570-7982kpid=570-7982&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g__&kpid=570-7982&gclid=CKLg24zL1sECFa7KtAodkFIAxA

Fitting a better mains lead, upgrading the interconnect and placing on cones or other supports will improve sound - and can be moved onto any upgraded CD player later !

Beobloke
31-10-2014, 12:58
If the player sounds fine and isn't skipping when playing or having trouble reading discs then leave it alone - it's fine. Cleaning a laser isn't a bad idea if you eject the drawer and its thick with dust but if it isn't then there's little point, especially if the cleaning disc has brushes on it, as these can scratch the laser's lens. If it does need cleaning, a cotton bud and IPA is the way to go.

Feel free to experiment with interconnects if the mood takes you but, as for mains leads and support cones..... :doh:

DarrenHW
31-10-2014, 15:16
..., as for mains leads and support cones..... :doh:

A bit harsh. I've had great results with upgraded mains leads and sorborthane feet, for the cost involved I think it's well worth the investment.

+1 for Mike's advice from me Michael, bloody B&O fanboys all style no content :ner: (typed whilst listening to Steve Wright out of B&O RL60.2's :))

Roy S
31-10-2014, 16:24
Always enjoy cleaning my old nads :eyebrows:

Beobloke
31-10-2014, 16:39
bloody B&O fanboys all style no content :ner: (typed whilst listening to Steve Wright out of B&O RL60.2's :))

No content??? You obviously haven't tried lifting a Beomaster 8000 recently! :D

Rush2112
08-11-2014, 09:29
I would agree with if it ain't broke don't fix it as far as laser cleaning goes ! If it is skipping misreading again I would agree with the cotton bud approach and IPA. Which reminds me I need to make up some more record cleaning fluid for the Moth and some cd cleaning solution for the discwasher too.

Kvaal
08-11-2014, 10:01
This is the best way, imo:

Pull the mains plug out, so there is no voltage inside the player.

Open the player, unscrew the two screws on each side of the player, perhaps one or more on the back side. Lift the top-plate off.

Take a q-tip moistened with water with dish-soap (just a small amount)on it and gently wipe the dust and dirt away.

The laser is easy to find, its the only optical device in the drawer.

Put the top plate back and play music.

I have saved several players from the grave this way.

Macca
08-11-2014, 10:07
I agree with Adam if it is working fine then leave it alone. Definitely do not use a 'cleaning CD' under any circumstances. You can mess about with supports, I suppose, but if they do make a difference it will be tiny and may not be in a positive direction.

Kvaal
08-11-2014, 12:00
Yes, - no need to repair what's not broken. If the player is clean on the outside, it probably is clean on the inside as well.

synsei
08-11-2014, 12:31
My 25 year old nad 520 CD player sounds good it's not had a lot of wear over the years but does the cd head need cleaning ? I think I read years ago you buy a cd that's cleans it inside ? Any advice most welcome Thankyou ps I'm tight fisted so don't like spending too much

Backing up what others have written, if it works as it should then leave well alone Michael. A known issue with this model is that the display fades over time although of course this doesn't affect the sound in any way :)