PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the High Peak

handh
31-10-2014, 08:18
Hi there,
A note to introduce myself. I was a teenager in the 1970's which is when I started this obsession gradually building a system as I could afford it using money from a Saturday job, paper round etc. You've probably all done it.
Always had a soft spot for KEF speakers & used to build my own cabinets buying chassis units from Wilmslow Audio (when it was in Wilmslow!) They always sounded OK but looked terrible if I am honest, all chipboard and screwed butt joints.
Then life got in the way as it tends to do and the hifi took a back seat to work & marriage.
Here I am 44 years later (how did that happen?) getting back into it as I am now semi-retired. I have a house full of not very fashionable kit (or junk my wife calls it) some working some not and I have joined this forum for help to try to get the broken stuff going again if possible.
Music wise? Well being a 70's teenager the usual culprits Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, Yes etc but also The Stranglers, James Taylor, Carol King. I have fairly broad tastes!
I like some classical but have never been able to get into Opera or Rap. Also I have a soft spot for 1930's stuff, Al Bowley and the like. I just love that sound.
My Kit? mostly analogue, mostly 70's to 90's
Some Denon recievers, the obligatory NAD 3020, NAD Tuner, NAD CD, Fisher 550 series amp & tuner, Aristion Q deck, GL75, GL69 with Linn Basik, Mission 760e's JPW mini monitors, JPW ML910's, some home built KEF Kit 1-LS3/5a look a likes, original Tangent 7's, Eltax Libertys, Grundig TS945 reel to reel, Telfunken magnetophon 214 reel to reel & thats just some of the stuff that works!
I don't aspire to be an out & out audiophile though. Well,I can't aford it in the first place and secondly I believe alot of it is 'Snake oil'.
Most of my kit was very cheap off the 'Bay or even free from free-cycle so our hobby can still be accessible for little money if you are careful & lucky!

Cheers

John

Eagle owl
31-10-2014, 17:13
Hello and welcome John.

Geoff. :wave:

Barry
31-10-2014, 17:18
Welcome to AoS John.

Good introduction - that's an interesting collection of kit you have there (or 'junk' as your wife would describe it!). I'm sure you will find the help here to get it all working again.

Enjoy the forum

walpurgis
31-10-2014, 19:23
Welcome from me too John.

Looks like you accumulate Hi-Fi the way I do.

If you have any plans for your system we'd like to hear about them and please post some photos of what you're using in our Gallery section.

Tell us what sort of music you listen to.

Enjoy AOS,
Geoff.

handh
02-11-2014, 07:56
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Yes I do tend to accumulate stuff, I just like to see vintage gear fixed ( maybe) and put back into use. The trouble is letting it go afterwards! Having kind of retired we are down sizing so something will have to go but how to choose?

Musically I have very broad tastes except for Opera, Rap and the more "exotic" type of Jazz. Also I really like to listen to Annie Lennox. I think she is one of the UK's best female vocalists with a huge range. Not that I know a thing about music.

cheers

John

jandl100
02-11-2014, 08:10
I love the "junk", John!

How about some pics in the Gallery section? :thumbsup:

petrat
02-11-2014, 11:53
Lovely part of the world you live in, John ..... happiest time of my life spent living there in the early 90s :)

jollyfix
02-11-2014, 13:59
Hello John, welcome tom the forum.

Floyddroid
02-11-2014, 14:12
Welcome:)