PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about MM/MC

Tom-Brown
28-10-2014, 15:31
Having just got back into playing vinyl, and starting to put a reasonable turntable together :) what is the difference and advantages/disadvantages between Moving Magnet cartridges and Moving Coil cartridges???? At the moment I've got a Goldring Elektra fitted to my RB250 arm :)

YNWaN
28-10-2014, 15:59
MM = higher output but higher moving mass / MC = lower output but lower mass.

Lower mass means that small amplitude signals can be reacted to more quickly but low output means another stage of amplification is needed compared to MM.

You can change the stylus on most MM cartridges - you can almost never change the stylus of a MC.

You can get high output MC cartridges but, in my experience, they don't perform as well as their low output variants.

Before you buy a MC you should sort out a good+ turntable, arm and phonostage - IMO.

walpurgis
28-10-2014, 16:09
As Mark says.

But I'll add my bit.

MM and MC usually have a somewhat different sound character. Difficult to describe really. I personally tend to find low output MCs just sound more musical and lend more transparency, but it's not a 'golden rule'. A poor MC can be disappointing and a good MM can be very good indeed.

There are oddball types like Decca and ADC, which use the MM principle, but without having a magnet that moves as such, both have made very fine cartridges by the way.

Oldpinkman
28-10-2014, 16:41
Definitely +1 for

You need a good phono stage to justify a good moving coil

and

A poor moving coil is poor (I have heard some horrible ones) and good moving magnets can be superb.

Andrei
28-10-2014, 18:02
As above but also price. With an MC you get gouged three times over, First they tend to cost more than MMs, Second you cannot replace the stylus, at least not without sending it away to be retipped and this will cost megabucks. Third is that they need additional amplification. So in addition to a MM phono stage you would need a Step Up Transformer. Alternatively a MC phono stage, not cheap because the electronics has to be designed to work with tiny signals.

I have heard a Lyre Delos MC on an RB300 arm turntable with a Whest phono stage and it sounded very clean and accurate.

Tom-Brown
28-10-2014, 18:17
Cheers guy's, from what's been said I think I'll stick to MM and look to buy a decent one in my price range :( any recommendations for a MM cartridge complete with stylus for up to £250....... I'll get it once I've had my arm re-wired :)

myles
28-10-2014, 18:31
I like the Ortofon 2M Blue. If I remember correctly it costs £160 new. As usual, careful secondhand buying can yield treasures.

Frankyc2003
28-10-2014, 19:31
i have used a Goldring 2200 (I think you can get one new for £145) for nearly 18 months on a Jelco 750 / Heybrook TT2 / Technics SL1210 modified, and never felt underwhelmed, quite the opposite.
I have seen somewhere an Ortofon Rondo Red for about £250, and that's an excellent MC to start with...

Clive197
28-10-2014, 20:01
For the budget you mention, I would advise the Ortofon 2MBronze if you can stretch that little bit.

struth
28-10-2014, 20:12
New to MC carts myself but the Denon 110 I'm using is very good and high output too. Got to get it dead straight but is a very good cart for the dosh.

Tom-Brown
28-10-2014, 20:14
For the budget you mention, I would advise the Ortofon 2MBronze if you can stretch that little bit.

On t'bay they are going for £280 which is not much more than my budget :) certainly worth a look but me thinks Xmas may get in they way!!

walpurgis
28-10-2014, 20:23
New to MC carts myself but the Denon 110 I'm using is very good and high output too. Got to get it dead straight but is a very good cart for the dosh.

Yes, well worth a go. There's not much around in the way of MMs at the price that can compete with it.

YNWaN
28-10-2014, 20:47
My experience is that the best performance is to be had from low output moving coil cartridges (very low output) - but that performance costs; the cartridges are expensive, their upkeep is expensive and the cost of the supporting ancillaries are expensive. Ultimately it is about the level of performance you want, what you are prepared to pay and the bother you are prepared to go to.

Tom-Brown
28-10-2014, 21:32
Essentially, I'm into playing my vinyl - I do want a reasonably good playback, but I'm not going to do the "full audiophile" route as being of a "collector" mentality I've got to draw a line somewhere :) :) I know from past experience, it can get out of control LOL LOL

Andrei
28-10-2014, 22:54
Essentially, I'm into playing my vinyl - I do want a reasonably good playback, but I'm not going to do the "full audiophile" route as being of a "collector" mentality I've got to draw a line somewhere :) :) I know from past experience, it can get out of control LOL LOL
Spot on mate! There are fabulous MMs from Ortofon and Nagaoka.