PDA

View Full Version : FS: Creek OBH - 21SE Headphone amp with OBH - Uni PSU

RichB
25-10-2014, 14:22
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s468/richbritton/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0093.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/richbritton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0093.jpg.html)

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s468/richbritton/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0092.jpg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/richbritton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0092.jpg.html)

I'd like £100 for this UK delivered please. Decided rather predictably to try a Rega instead. Great condition and very lively sounding. Would suit warmer sounding cans I think.

Noticed these are still retailing new at around £250-£300 so its a bit of a bargain. Comes with original instructions but no box so I will package well.

PayPal gift please, some write up here:

The OBH-21SE incorporates advanced circuitry utilising high grade op-amps for signal amplification, providing the capability to drive headphones with impedances ranging from 30 to 300 Ohms without a problem. Gain (level) will be greater for lower impedance headphones.

There are two 1/4" (6.3mm) stereo headphone jacks on the front panel. The matching impedance for each of these sockets is slightly different which allows for better individual matching. When using two sets of headphones, the impedance will be the same for both. The output level can be adjusted by a high-grade ALPS Blue Velvet 27mm volume potentiometer coupled to a solid metal control knob on the front panel. The OBH-21SE has one pair of stereo inputs using stereo RCA (Phono) sockets on the rear panel. To make connection to another amplifier easier, there is another pair of sockets which can patch the input signal through to another amplifier. This is especially useful if the OBH-21SE is used in series with the tape loop of a pre-amp or integrated amp. It is suitable for any line level analogue source.

In common with all electrical appliances, the OBH-21SE requires a power source. A custom stand-alone Creek OBH-Uni power supply is provided that must be connected to the unit via the DC inlet on the rear panel. The mains power supply and connector plug will vary, depending on country of use. Inside the OBH-21, custom circuitry is used to convert the power supply from a single, positive rail, into a split positive and negative supply and ghosted ground. Split-rail power supplies provide better Common Mode Rejection Ratio (CMMR) which will improve the sound quality by increasing interference suppression and allow for DC signal coupling on the SE version.

The OBH-21SE uses two instrument grade LM 7171 op-amp circuits and is DC coupled from input to output, for better sound quality. It uses a DC servo loop to eliminate any trace of DC from the output and give unrestricted output down to les than 1 Hz.

The OBH-21SE can also be used in conjunction with other Creek OBH series products, such as Phono pre-amplifiers or the OBH-22 passive pre-amplifier. Furthermore, it can also function with a stand-alone pre-amplifier or integrated amplifier, connected in the tape loop.

The OBH-21SE is a higher grade version of the standard OBH-21. Higher grade components and additional circuitry are used to produce a better performance. The main differences between the 21 and SE are as follows:-

Volume potentiometer type:

OBH21 is fitted with a 16mm carbon film pot.
OBH21SE is fitted with a 27mm plastic film pot.
Amplifier circuitry:

The OBH21 uses 2 x NE 5532.
OBH21SE uses 2 x LM 7171.
Signal coupling:

OBH-21 is AC coupled using audio grade caps.
OBH-21SE is DC coupled and offset voltages are controlled by a custom DC servo circuit.
Input socket type:

OBH-21, Nickel pressed metal.
OBH-21SE, Gold pressed metal.
Specification
Output Power >20mW
Suitable Headphone Impedance Range 30 Ohms to 300 Ohms
Higher impedance headphones will work but the output level will be reduced proportionally.
Frequency Response 10Hz to 50kHz +/- 1dB
Total Harmonic Distortion <0.01% @ 1kHz
Signal To Noise Ratio >70dB
Power Supply Requirement Creek UBH-Uni, (24V DC, 15W)
Power Consumption <3Watts in operation,
< 1 W in standby
Weight 3kg

Martinblueboy
26-10-2014, 19:52
Out of curiosity Rich, what type of headphone amplifier have you gone for? Rega Ear Mkii? The reason for asking is that I'm in the market for a headphone amp but it will have to wait until after Christmas. Rega Ear was one of the headphone amps I was considering. (Sorry for the slight thread hijack).

RichB
26-10-2014, 20:10
Out of curiosity Rich, what type of headphone amplifier have you gone for? Rega Ear Mkii? The reason for asking is that I'm in the market for a headphone amp but it will have to wait until after Christmas. Rega Ear was one of the headphone amps I was considering. (Sorry for the slight thread hijack).

No problem. I'm selling this to fund a Rega ear MKII but also keeping an eye on the proposed Beresford headphone amp. The Creek is great but a bit lively for my tastes. I'm also considering a different pair of cans as I've decided the Grado sound isn't for me.

A disclaimer - I have a full Rega system and love every bit of it so I'd expect the head amp will just work well in the context of my system. I've not heard one yet so it will of course be dependent on a good audition before I spend any money.

RichB
28-10-2014, 20:17
£99.99?

RichB
29-10-2014, 18:22
£99.98

mad-moon
29-10-2014, 19:28
Such generosity...

RichB
30-10-2014, 19:03
£99.97?

RichB
02-11-2014, 01:15
£99.96?

RichB
05-11-2014, 20:34
Open to sensible offers.

May also trade for an interesting phono stage or pre.

Martinblueboy
08-11-2014, 20:10
Rich, is this still available?

RichB
09-11-2014, 00:04
Rich, is this still available?

It is indeed.

Martinblueboy
09-11-2014, 10:21
Just in-boxed you Rich!

RichB
09-11-2014, 14:03