PDA

View Full Version : NEBO 5 set for January 2015.

Pages : [1] 2

Floyddroid
24-10-2014, 23:00
Calling all AOS members. NEBO 5 will be taking place in the great North East again on Saturday January 10th 2015. Everyone welcome. Start time will be earlier to allow more people to demonstrate their wares. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you wish to attend and let me know if you intend bringing equipment etc. Please help to network this meeting and get the word out. I look forward to meeting up with the Nebo stalwarts and hopefully some new faces too. It really doesn't matter if you have items of interest or not, there is always great things to see and hear at Nebo meetings with some great music played all day. So please turn up and let your hair down.

The Windmill is a great place for such a meeting with a licensed bar and carvery. For those traveling any distance there are B+B facilities too which i am reliably informed are very reasonable. So why not park up and have a beer or two and enjoy the day.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/Nebo5_zpsad964c9d.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/Nebo5_zpsad964c9d.jpg.html)

See you down there......................

RichB
24-10-2014, 23:41
Nice one Steve! Just what's needed to start the new year on the right foot....

loo
24-10-2014, 23:44
How about organizing a NEBO on tour

Floyddroid
25-10-2014, 00:07
Interesting Paul, very interesting!
How about organizing a NEBO on tour

Floyddroid
27-10-2014, 11:13
Well, been and paid for the hire of the room to host Nebo 5. lets hope plenty of folks turn up. I decided on the big room this time. If you have things you want to bring along please get in touch. Especially those who didn't get things played last time.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/Nebo5_zpsad964c9d.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/Nebo5_zpsad964c9d.jpg.html)

mik_rik
27-10-2014, 16:12
Can I come ,I'll behave myself ..... honest!. Jesting apart,it's something to look forward to and count me as a definate,will see what I can come up with to fetch along. Count down has begun.......... Mick

Wilbur
27-10-2014, 21:34
Count me in! Had a great time at the last one:cool:

Floyddroid
28-10-2014, 16:42
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr8! Things are looking up. Thanks guys.
Count me in! Had a great time at the last one:cool:

synsei
28-10-2014, 17:25
I won't be able to attend Nebo 5 Steve but if you are planning a Nebo 6 later on in 2015 I will try my damndest to be there, although I'll need to book a room somewhere as its a helluva drive from here ;)

Macca
28-10-2014, 17:58
You can stay at the venue Dave, it's forty notes for a room.

Great event this, I really enjoyed the last one.

Floyddroid
29-10-2014, 21:35
The Windmill which is the home of Nebo is a motel Dave so getting a room isn't a problem. That is one helluva drive like! as ever, i only ever commit to another Nebo meeting if the current one is a success. Up to now the meetings have been so much fun people keep coming back You are very welcome at any Nebo.
I won't be able to attend Nebo 5 Steve but if you are planning a Nebo 6 later on in 2015 I will try my damndest to be there, although I'll need to book a room somewhere as its a helluva drive from here ;)

Floyddroid
29-10-2014, 21:37
cheers Martin. Hope you make it to Nebo5. More importantly i hope you have a better journey if you do.
You can stay at the venue Dave, it's forty notes for a room.

Great event this, I really enjoyed the last one.

337alant
30-10-2014, 08:26
Ill come Steve I've enjoyed all the events I have been to so far

Alan

Qwin
31-10-2014, 14:05
I will be comming Steve.

Will bring the Celestion 66's which will have a different x-over and tweeter than last time.

I will see what other gear is available and let you know closer to the time.

See you at Owston ;)

Gazjam
31-10-2014, 14:28
Think its time the Scottish Mafia represented....

I'll put the word.out to the rest of the troops, zSee who can come.
Not sure what kit to bring, will decide on the day.

Halfway Tree
31-10-2014, 20:17
I should be able to make this OK.

Thanks for organizing Steve. See you tomorrow!

Gordon

Marco
31-10-2014, 22:59
Hi Steve,

Calling all AOS members. NEBO 5 will be taking place in the great North East again on Saturday January 10th 2015. Everyone welcome. Start time will be earlier to allow more people to demonstrate their wares.

I should defo be there with my modded Techy, so look forward to seeing you again :)

So, in terms of the start time, what do you mean by “earlier”? :cool:

Marco.

RichB
31-10-2014, 23:45

That would be great Gaz.

Again I'd say the digs are nowt fancy but I've laid my drunken head in worse if yous decide to make a night of it.

Floyddroid
01-11-2014, 07:27
be great to see you guys there. see you down at Owston.

vinyljunky
28-11-2014, 20:40
hi steve nebo4 was great me and pete will be there whats the start time:scratch:

Floyddroid
28-11-2014, 20:59
:cool:10am onwards Steven.
hi steve nebo4 was great me and pete will be there whats the start time:scratch:

See you down there!

Floyddroid
06-12-2014, 16:29
Greetings Earthlings.

So impressed was i with my recent visit to the Owston Hall meet i have decided to utilize elements of the successful format used whilst retaining the spirit of NEBO. NEBO 5 will be held in the larger room on the ground floor this time around making it easier to move bulky and heavy equipment from the car park to the venue and visa versa. Easy on backs, legs and psyche. At our forthcoming meeting i will be implementing a three track rule per demonstration just like Owston and it would be helpful if attendees demonstrating full systems would be happy to accommodate those demonstrating source, amplification or speaker demonstration. Please feel free to substitute the word demonstrate for exhibit if you feel it more appropriate. So, in short you can hitch a ride with a given piece of equipment from others.

May i ask if you are planning to attend with equipment can you please contact me with the view of organizing a time and place (approximately) in the days proceedings to accommodate it? Please note that we are starting early at 10am in order to accommodate as much as possible and avoid disappointment so please get in touch ASAP so i can form an orderly cue. I am hoping that some of the excellent people that i met at Owston and our Scottish Mafia friends may venture to the icey wastes of Teesside to join in the festivities.

Please help to network this event and help spread the word. It really is a great day and celebrates the dying art of listening to music properly. i am always take aback by the spirit and comradry shown to each other by all who attend and warrants communicating about. I have a few A3 posters for display so if anyone can suggest places to display them in the Teesside area i would be very grateful. Lets get the new year off to a flying start and enjoy another great day of music. engineering and nostalgia in any order you like.

For those travelling from a little further, The Windmill is a great inexpensive place to stay overnight. Indeed, numerous people have done so in the past and enjoyed a drink and a bite to eat so why not stay over and totally immerse yourself in the day. Please see the poster below for details. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and of course meeting some new ones. SEE YOU DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!................

:) NEBO also has a Facebook group should anyone wish to join it and contribute there as well as here.

Ali Tait
06-12-2014, 16:45
Nice one mate, will be there if I can.

Qwin
06-12-2014, 16:59
Right folks,
its now up to us to support Steve, by letting him know who is comming and more importantly what gear we will be bringing.

Makes organising a lot easier if you have numbers.

Steve was a bit concerned last meeting as not many people said they were bringing kit, but quite a bit turned up on the day and a running order had to be worked out on the fly, which led to at least one person being overlooked and not getting a slot. So lets try and take the pressure off with a bit of advanced warning of what he can expect.

I'll start the ball rolling and say that I will be there and from the kick off as I live only seven minutes away.

I will bring a sytem:
Sugden A21a (class A) Amp and matching CD21 CD player.
Tannoy Cheviot Speakers (12" Dual Concentrics).

I may bring other stuff as well but that is the minimum I will turn up with.
Thought the Tannoys would make a change from the Celestion 66's which I am still working on.

:)

Ali Tait
06-12-2014, 17:01
Can't commit for definite at the moment as I lost my job a couple of weeks ago.

Floyddroid
06-12-2014, 17:13
:door:Really sorry to hear that Ali, bummer!! Hope something turns up real soon. Hopefully another door will open soon?
Can't commit for definite at the moment as I lost my job a couple of weeks ago.

Floyddroid
06-12-2014, 17:14
Cheers Ken.
Right folks,
its now up to us to support Steve, by letting him know who is comming and more importantly what gear we will be bringing.

Makes organising a lot easier if you have numbers.

Steve was a bit concerned last meeting as not many people said they were bringing kit, but quite a bit turned up on the day and a running order had to be worked out on the fly, which led to at least one person being overlooked and not getting a slot. So lets try and take the pressure off with a bit of advanced warning of what he can expect.

I'll start the ball rolling and say that I will be there and from the kick off as I live only seven minutes away.

I will bring a sytem:
Sugden A21a (class A) Amp and matching CD21 CD player.
Tannoy Cheviot Speakers (12" Dual Concentrics).

I may bring other stuff as well but that is the minimum I will turn up with.
Thought the Tannoys would make a change from the Celestion 66's which I am still working on.

:)

Ali Tait
06-12-2014, 17:37
:door:Really sorry to hear that Ali, bummer!! Hope something turns up real soon. Hopefully another door will open soon?

Cheers mate. Aye, if it was a different time of year I'd have another job within a week, it's quiet this time of year as demand is high due to the cold weather. Hopefully will pick something up soon.

sq225917
06-12-2014, 17:55
I can defo make it this time.

337alant
06-12-2014, 20:46
I will be coming Steve
I will be bringing my latest toy an Otari MX55N and maybe the Voyager amps and B4 pre

Will be nice to meet you Simon

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8634/15775820987_1a9e791277_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/q34cXz)Atari MX55N (https://flic.kr/p/q34cXz) by 337alant (https://www.flickr.com/people/69508926@N05/), on Flickr

Alan

SPS
06-12-2014, 21:12
I hope to come too, i know we have other plans for that day, but i'll see what i can do to change them

Be good to meet up again..
Steve

Marco
06-12-2014, 22:16
Weather permitting, I’ll be there with my ‘lightly modified DJ deck’ (and possibly my Croft preamp and Paul Hynes MC head amp)…. :eyebrows:

Looking forward to it! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
07-12-2014, 17:21
I can defo make it this time.

I'll come with you then Si ;assuming that is OK (I won't be bringing any hi-fi)?

RichB
07-12-2014, 18:08
I'll be bringing a full system comprising a pair of RS5, an Elex-r and a source of some description. Probably a CD player and a DAC.

I should be bringing a friend along who might decide to fetch his RP6.

As ever I'm happy for anyone to co-opt whatever they may fancy for a lash up.

mik_rik
07-12-2014, 18:25
yep , I'll be there

Qwin
08-12-2014, 14:52
What yah bringing Mick?

Something Valvey I hope!

Ali Tait
08-12-2014, 15:25
If I come I can bring a WAD KEL 84, an EL84 PP amp, and also WAD 300b PSE monoblocks. I'll bring some class A SS too.

Floyddroid
08-12-2014, 15:41
Rather excellent Ali. I would love to hear the WAD stuff. Cheers :yay:
If I come I can bring a WAD KEL 84, an EL84 PP amp, and also WAD 300b PSE monoblocks. I'll bring some class A SS too.

Ali Tait
08-12-2014, 16:57
The 300b is not top notch, it needs a new mains trannie and the output valves are a bit tired. Sounds ok though.

The KEL sounds very good, no problems with that.

mik_rik
08-12-2014, 19:48
Hi Ken - can bring the Radford and the Verdik's again , if they aren't getting "old hat" Bought a Little Bear preamp off the 'bay it's got the grin factor that RichB's T amp has [so good I bought another to "play with] was going to fetch that.Trying to talk myself into bringing my Quad 57's along ,but not the easiest things to lug around [thought they may be an interesting change] .Ali - would love to hear the WAD 300 PSE's,hope you can make it ,would be good to put another face to a name

Jimbo
08-12-2014, 20:16
Hi Steve,

I may well attend this one so count me in weather permitting as I have a long way to travel from the Midlands. Not sure if I am going to bring anything but if I do it will be my CROFT 25R+::eyebrows

Cheers and look forward to meeting all you Northern AOS folk.

Qwin
08-12-2014, 20:17
Mick - I'm sure folks haven't tired of your valve offerings, Ali seems to have some interesting tube stuff too, hope he manages to make it and brings his SS "Kraken".

I for one would love to here your Quad 57's.

Jimbo - I was thinking of going down the Croft Pre route, so would be very interested in hearing yours.

Floyddroid
08-12-2014, 20:22
be great to meet you.
Hi Steve,

I may well attend this one so count me in weather permitting as I have a long way to travel from the Midlands. Not sure if I am going to bring anything but if I do it will be my CROFT 25R+:eyebrows

Ali Tait
08-12-2014, 20:46
Cheers gents, will be there if I can, will bring the Kraken, and if I get the trannies I've ordered soon enough, I'll have another SS class A amp built in time.

RichB
09-12-2014, 22:50
Hi Steve,

I may well attend this one so count me in weather permitting as I have a long way to travel from the Midlands. Not sure if I am going to bring anything but if I do it will be my CROFT 25R+::eyebrows

Aye, I've never heard a croft pre and had often entertained the notion of combining a valve pre with the t-amp in a second (or third) system.

Maybe we'll get to do a bit mix and match later on.

Ali Tait
09-12-2014, 22:58
Valve pre and chip amp is a good combo.

Toppsy
11-12-2014, 19:15
I will be comming Steve.

Will bring the Celestion 66's which will have a different x-over and tweeter than last time.

I will see what other gear is available and let you know closer to the time.

See you at Owston ;)

Well if they have a different XO and tweeter they are no longer Celestion 66 speakers.

Qwin
11-12-2014, 22:58
All depends on which x-over and what parts were fitted and which combination of the different drivers you have, Early or late tweeter early or late mid range.
But yes I have changed the tweeter to a Seas which is current production, mainly for that reason.

mik_rik
13-12-2014, 20:18
Don't care what was in 'em or what they were called Ken ,I enjoyed them last time!

Jimbo
13-12-2014, 22:11
I will bring my Croft 25R + pre to NEBO 5 in January so if anyone wants to try it as part of a system that would be fine.

Steve can you add my amp to the list of items to be "baked off" :)

Floyddroid
13-12-2014, 23:50
Will do James. AM or PM?
I will bring my Croft 25R + pre to NEBO 5 in January so if anyone wants to try it as part of a system that would be fine.

Steve can you add my amp to the list of items to be "baked off" :)

Jimbo
14-12-2014, 10:03
Will do James. AM or PM?

PM might be best Steve as i have a long way to travel and not sure when I get there.

Anytime in the afternoon / evening would be great.

Floyddroid
23-12-2014, 06:17
Only a few weeks to go now until NEBO 5. Really looking forwards to it and hope that everyone who comes have a great day. If there is anything you need to know or would like to suggest please get in touch. I have started a Facebook group for NEBO so please feel free to join. Have great Christmas everyone and a fabulous new year.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/Nebo5F_zps12986721.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/Nebo5F_zps12986721.jpg.html)

SPS
23-12-2014, 08:19
I hope to come too, i know we have other plans for that day, but i'll see what i can do to change them

Be good to meet up again..
Steve
I will be coming but just for the afternoon, ive managed to move things round during the day
i can bring a system if there is interest - the new baffles and px 25 amp
We have a night out planned so i will need to be off by 5.00...which is a shame as i would have liked to stay longer

Cheers..
Steve

Floyddroid
23-12-2014, 13:49
Look forward to seeing you.

I will be coming but just for the afternoon, ive managed to move things round during the day
We have a night out planned so i will need to be off by 5.00...which is a shame as i would have liked to stay longer

Cheers..
Steve

sq225917
03-01-2015, 18:59
Is there anything approaching an up to date of who's bringing what?

Floyddroid
03-01-2015, 20:10
Hi Simon

Though i haven't formulated running order yet some of the equipment coming along can be seen in the replies above. I would love to hear your Paradise phono stage, You could even bake it off against Alan's. Not sure if i am taking anything yet. There might not be enough time for me to take my stuff. Looking forward to meeting you.
Is there anything approaching an up to date of who's bringing what?

Ali Tait
03-01-2015, 20:16
Phono stage comparison would be interesting, I'll bring the Firebottle.

Jimbo
03-01-2015, 20:19
Phono stage comparison would be interesting, I'll bring the Firebottle.

You could compare this with my Croft 25R + , I already have, makes interesting listening!

Ali Tait
03-01-2015, 20:21
Cool, though mine is the only two box version AFAIK, sounds considerably different to the stock one.

Floyddroid
03-01-2015, 20:39
Only one week to go now till NEBO 5. Can those bringing equipment please contact me and let me know exactly what you are bringing and also a preferred time to play (approx). Judging by the replies above it's going to be a great day again. For those of you who just want to come along and enjoy the music and hear some great hifi equipment please do. Have a drink and /or a bite to eat. The Windmill is fully licenced and has a cracking carvery. They also have rooms for £40 per night if you want to stay over. There is already three things throughout the day that i am looking forwards to listening to. There is always a wild card though and i look forward to experiencing that too. NEBO meetings celebrate the fun element of Hi-Fi and not just the kudos of owning high end or five star products. It brings together passionate people who simply enjoy to the full what is fast becoming a dying art. Contact details are on the poster above or you can inbox me here. NEBO now has a Facebook page too.

See yer down there.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r209/progmeister1/nebo5trans_zps7ef5f9da.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/progmeister1/media/nebo5trans_zps7ef5f9da.jpg.html)
:guitar:

YNWaN
03-01-2015, 20:39
Cool, though mine is the only two box version AFAIK, sounds considerably different to the stock one.

In what sense? Si's isn't 'stock' as such as it uses a slightly different power supply arrangement.

Ali Tait
03-01-2015, 20:57
In the sense of having compared it to a single box version, it sounds considerably different. :-)

Mine is built with Takman resistors and Mundorf caps.

YNWaN
03-01-2015, 22:04
...it sounds considerably different. :-).

In what way?

Ali Tait
03-01-2015, 22:22
Well, frankly, better in every respect. Better soundstaging and imaging, better treble, better bass. Currently trying to find out why, so the improvements can be applied to the single box version, unless it's because the power supply is in a separate box of course!

Gazjam
04-01-2015, 10:22
Yup, Ali brought his two boxer over to mine to compare my stock Firebottle Plus.

Ali's was better, a cracker, but we wanted to know why.
Alan (Firebottle designer) is very keen on developing his phono stage and is constantly looking for ways to improve it, for instance for my own box he suggested a mod to boost gain to better suit my low output MC cart.

Different valve and a couple of resisters and wow, not just louder sound but improvements all round too.

This led us to think that component choice and not just power supply makes all the difference, so Alan has suggested other mods to improve sound too.
Just need to dig out the emails now!

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 11:17
Be good to compare with the mods you've made now Gaz, see where we've got to.

mik_rik
04-01-2015, 12:42

Cheers..
Steve

Would love to hear your Px 25 , look forward to hearing it

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 13:13
Yup, Ali brought his two boxer over to mine to compare my stock Firebottle Plus.

Ali's was better, a cracker, but we wanted to know why.
Alan (Firebottle designer) is very keen on developing his phono stage and is constantly looking for ways to improve it, for instance for my own box he suggested a mod to boost gain to better suit my low output MC cart.

Different valve and a couple of resisters and wow, not just louder sound but improvements all round too.

This led us to think that component choice and not just power supply makes all the difference, so Alan has suggested other mods to improve sound too.
Just need to dig out the emails now!

Well, they are profoundly different circuit designs too!

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 13:14
Well, frankly, better in every respect. Better soundstaging and imaging, better treble, better bass. Currently trying to find out why, so the improvements can be applied to the single box version, unless it's because the power supply is in a separate box of course!

Interesting; which part of the circuit are the Takman and Mundorfs situated?

Firebottle
04-01-2015, 13:25
Well, they are profoundly different circuit designs too!

Not when used in the singled ended unbalanced mode Mark.

Firebottle
04-01-2015, 13:26
Interesting; which part of the circuit are the Takman and Mundorfs situated?

Through out apart from the MC JFET board.

:cool: alan

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 14:37
Sorry, I was referring to the Paradise. - my fault, got confused as to who owned what etc.

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 14:48
Looking forward to hearing a Paradise, lots of folk seem to like them.

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 15:16
I listened to mine yesterday for the first time this Christmas (due to being away) - epic :).

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 15:26
Aye, that was one good thing about working away from home, I'd forget how good the system sounded, made me appreciate it all over again.

Floyddroid
04-01-2015, 17:58
If anyone is attending for the full day and can bring a decent support it would be very helpful. There will only be very basic electrical extensions too so if anyone requires a more exotic devices please bring them with you. The good news is that we have an opening act. Ken Wynn will be opening the day with his re-built Celestion 66's should they be ready in time. I am hoping that he may bring his Tannoy Cheviot's too. It certainly looking like the order will be formed on the day so i will have my Sheriff's badge on. Bake off's will be later in the afternoon.

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 18:02
Can bring the balanced power supply too, if folk want to try it.

Floyddroid
04-01-2015, 18:23
bring it along Ali. If we get chance we will use it.
Can bring the balanced power supply too, if folk want to try it.

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 18:44
Will do.

Jimbo
04-01-2015, 19:22
Weather permitting, I’ll be there with my ‘lightly modified DJ deck’ (and possibly my Croft preamp and Paul Hynes MC head amp)…. :eyebrows:

Looking forward to it! :)

Marco.

Hi Marco, are you still planning on taking your MC Head amp?

If I get a chance wouldn't mind trying it with my modified Croft 25R:eyebrows:

Long 4 hour drive for me from Brumland so will be stopping the night so hope to make the very most of the day up there!

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 19:24
Have a Denon head amp I'll bring too.

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 19:37
So what gear actually is coming - shouldn't there be a list, or have I missed that (could have done)?

YNWaN
04-01-2015, 19:54
Celestion 66 speakers - Qwin
Modified Technics 1200 - Marco?
Sugden A21a amp - Qwin
Sugden CD21 CD player - Qwin
Tannoy Cheviot speakers - Qwin
Otari MX55N reel to reel - Voyager amps - B4 pre-amp - 337alant
Croft pre-amp - Paul Hynes MC - Marco
Paradise phono - sq225917
Whole system from RichB - also a Rega RP6 turntable?
Croft 25R+ - Jimbo
WAD KEL 84, EL84 PP amp, WAD 300b PSE monoblocks - Ali Tait
Bunch of assorted gear from mik_rik
Whole system from SPS

So a lot of stuff for one day and two rooms!

Qwin
04-01-2015, 20:54
Steve - Do we not have tables for the gear, like at Owston?

Floyddroid
04-01-2015, 21:01
Yes we do as many as you want. But if anyone wants kosher supports please bring them along. I will also bring my usual Ikea tables.
Steve - Do we not have tables for the gear, like at Owston?

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 21:47
Celestion 66 speakers - Qwin
Sugden A21a amp - Qwin
Sugden CD21 CD player - Qwin
Tannoy Cheviot speakers - Qwin
Otari MX55N reel to reel - Voyager amps - B4 pre-amp - 337alant
Croft pre-amp - Paul Hynes MC - Marco
Paradise phono - sq225917
Whole system from RichB - also a Rega RP6 turntable?
Croft 25R+ - Jimbo
WAD KEL 84, EL84 PP amp, WAD 300b PSE monoblocks - Ali Tait
Bunch of assorted gear from mik_rik
Whole system from SPS

So a lot of stuff for one day and two rooms!

Add to my list - two box Firebottle phono, Denon HA 500 head amp, Alchemist Kraken amp, Tandberg TD20A and my DIY 3kva balanced power supply.

Macca
04-01-2015, 21:56
Who is bringing the machine that stops the passage of time so that you can get through all of this kit in a day? ;)

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 22:03
That's the balanced power supply silly, it balances time!

lurcher
04-01-2015, 22:32
All being well I will be along with a phono stage. dac and a couple of SUT's

Ali Tait
04-01-2015, 22:33
Cool, be good to see you there Nick.

SPS
04-01-2015, 23:21
Im still planning to come up, will be there around 11.30 or earlier, What time are the rooms open
I will have have the gear packed and be off by 4.30 latest... Hope thats ok
Cheers

RichB
05-01-2015, 01:18
Yes we do as many as you want. But if anyone wants kosher supports please bring them along. I will also bring my usual Ikea tables.

I'll bring an Ikea table thing too.

Marco
05-01-2015, 06:25
Im still planning to come up, will be there around 11.30 or earlier, What time are the rooms open
I will have have the gear packed and be off by 4.30 latest... Hope thats ok
Cheers

What gear will you be bringing with you, Steve? :)

Marco.

Marco
05-01-2015, 06:38

Check! Although, it’s actually a 1210… And my Paul Hynes MC head amp and PSU. I’ll also be bringing three different cartridges with me, namely a Denon DL-S1, DL-103 and SPU Royal GM MKII, all installed in dedicated headshells.

I don’t think I’ll bring the Croft, as I’m presuming that someone will have an MM phono stage I can use? I’d also like to hear my T/T through the Paradise, which I believe is MC only.

Btw, I should also have a slightly mad car audio system fitted by then (with JBL speakers and 12” sub/4-channel 300W amp. Car will be soundproofed throughout with Dynamat), which can stream music (via Bluetooth) from a smart phone, see thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?35694-Time-to-replace-the-car-stereo-system%85

So if any of you have music stored on your phones and would like a listen to it on the car system, you’d be more than welcome. Just bring some drugs! :eyebrows:

Marco.

SPS
05-01-2015, 08:57
What gear will you be bringing with you, Steve? :)

Marco.

Gear i doubt you will have heard marco, my OB are now 5 drivers per side. The px 25 amp is much better than it was with all tribute ironware and unusual, as amps go, power supply configuration,
A teradac dac and an old dvd as source, i think its a step change on my last set up, so much so i was thinking of rebuilding the speakers as keepers, most of the gear i build only lasts a year or two before it gets superceded by the next brainwave
i dont think there will be enough room in the car to bring a vinyl set up, i tend not to play vinyl much nowadays.
Cheers ..

Jimbo
05-01-2015, 10:40
Check! Although, it’s actually a 1210… And my Paul Hynes MC head amp and PSU. I’ll also be bringing three different cartridges with me, namely a Denon DL-S1, DL-103 and SPU Royal GM MKII, all installed in dedicated headshells.

I don’t think I’ll bring the Croft, as I’m presuming that someone will have an MM phono stage I can use? I’d also like to hear my T/T through the Paradise, which I believe is MC only.

Btw, I should also have a slightly mad car audio system fitted by then (with JBL speakers and 12” sub/4-channel 300W amp. Car will be soundproofed throughout with Dynamat), which can stream music (via Bluetooth) from a smart phone, see thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?35694-Time-to-replace-the-car-stereo-system%85

So if any of you have music stored on your phones and would like a listen to it on the car system, you’d be more than welcome. Just bring some drugs! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Do they throw some furry dice in for free:lol:

Marco
05-01-2015, 11:40
Gear i doubt you will have heard marco, my OB are now 5 drivers per side. The px 25 amp is much better than it was with all tribute ironware and unusual, as amps go, power supply configuration,
A teradac dac and an old dvd as source, i think its a step change on my last set up, so much so i was thinking of rebuilding the speakers as keepers, most of the gear i build only lasts a year or two before it gets superceded by the next brainwave
i dont think there will be enough room in the car to bring a vinyl set up, i tend not to play vinyl much nowadays.

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing your speakers again, with the recent mods. You don’t have any NOS 6SL7s in your collection of valves, do you?

Marco.

Marco
05-01-2015, 11:43
Do they throw some furry dice in for free:lol:

Good idea, Jim - I could use them as ‘sound absorbers’! :D

Are you coming to NEBO?

Marco.

The Black Adder
05-01-2015, 11:57
lol.. I can imagine you getting there and you'll not be able to hear owt... lol... :)

Ali Tait
05-01-2015, 11:57
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing your speakers again, with the recent mods. You don’t have any NOS 6SL7s in your collection of valves, do you?

Marco.

LOL, does a bear shit in the woods?

Marco
05-01-2015, 12:07
Ha - it might not be ones he uses much… 6SN7s tend to be more common :)

Marco.

Marco
05-01-2015, 12:09
lol.. I can imagine you getting there and you'll not be able to hear owt... lol... :)

Lol - not fancy coming? It’s good fun. I’ll be picking Macca up anyway, so would be easy to swing by your place first… Get a run in the Merc and blast some sounds, yeah baby!! :hairmetal: :fingers:

Marco.

Jimbo
05-01-2015, 12:38
Good idea, Jim - I could use them as ‘sound absorbers’! :D

Are you coming to NEBO?

Marco.

Yes, I am booked into the Windmill.

I am bringing the modified Croft 25R as I think a few folk wanted to hear one, not sure what system it will be partnered with though:scratch:

Looking forward to the day and meeting you all up there.:)

RichB
05-01-2015, 14:18
Sounds like its going to be an impressive turnout and a cracking selection of gear too!:eek:

I'm looking forward to it.

The Black Adder
05-01-2015, 15:07
The 25R is a lovely pre... what mods did you do? - sorry if I missed anything... lol

Jimbo
05-01-2015, 16:10
The 25R is a lovely pre... what mods did you do? - sorry if I missed anything... lol

Hi Joe,

I have had some modifications done to the linestage and all valves replaced with NOS.

Floyddroid
05-01-2015, 16:53
Yes indeed young Britton. There may even be a siting of Mr Long dog himself!
Sounds like its going to be an impressive turnout and a cracking selection of gear too!:eek:

I'm looking forward to it.

Marco
05-01-2015, 17:05

Did you see post #103 and the question therein, daftee...? ;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
05-01-2015, 18:23
lol... aye, sorry. I'm a daftee. Thanks James... :)

Getting some mods done to my pre at the moment too... Some dual regulated 1000va seperate PSU dream machine madness. Aye, Marco :) :)

Marco
05-01-2015, 18:41
Lol - not fancy coming? It’s good fun. I’ll be picking Macca up anyway, so would be easy to swing by your place first… Get a run in the Merc and blast some sounds, yeah baby!! :hairmetal: :fingers:

Lol… I’m referring to the above, Gladys, who’s James? Have you been drinking? :D

I’m asking you if you want to come to NEBO! :)

Marco.

The Black Adder
05-01-2015, 18:46
lol...

Nnooo... I thanked James for his reply about his pre.

But I am a daftee.

Thanks Charlie... or is it Bob.

I can't make it to NEBO unfortunately matey... It would be great to have some pics of the show though.

Jimbo
05-01-2015, 19:17
lol... aye, sorry. I'm a daftee. Thanks James... :)

Getting some mods done to my pre at the moment too... Some dual regulated 1000va seperate PSU dream machine madness. Aye, Marco :) :)

Next step for me would be to go for separate PSU aka RS. Enjoying each step of the way rather than go for the whole Monty in one go! :)

Marco
05-01-2015, 19:31
lol...

Nnooo... I thanked James for his reply about his pre.

But I am a daftee.

Thanks Charlie... or is it Bob.

I can't make it to NEBO unfortunately matey... It would be great to have some pics of the show though.

Lol - no worries. Someone always takes pics :)

Marco.

RichB
05-01-2015, 19:57
In a conundrum over which source to bring...

No longer have the RP6 but can fetch my P3-24 with TTPSU and exact cartridge. Might be nice to have at least 1 belter amongst all those beltless wheels of steel.

Other options are

Squeezebox touch with best of two worlds psu

Lightly modded Marantz CD-63SE

Rega DAC, MF Vlink II, HIFIMEDIY USB sabre DAC with PSU in case anyone wants to plug in a laptop.

I'll also fetch the amptastic mini 1 as it's good fun and I bet will sound wicked with one of the valve preamp up front.

SPS
05-01-2015, 20:46
Would love to hear your Px 25 , look forward to hearing it

Well i hope you like it... 5 watt valve amps are not everyones idea of good hi fi..

On the phono front i have nice step up and a rare one at that if anyones interested, its an audiophile products mc 1 silver wired, i bring it if anyones interested, made by Kondo for kesiki
I'll check the valves marco... I won't have many but ill have a look
Steve

Marco
05-01-2015, 20:50
Cheers, Steve. A matched pair of something NOS would be nice. Let me know :)

Marco.

Qwin
05-01-2015, 21:35
Well I have the Celestion 66's back together so they will definitely be comming on Saturday.

See the new crossover boards here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?31916-Renovation-of-Celestion-66-Studio-Monitors&p=609546#post609546

If I can get the Tannoys in the car I will bring them as well.

Marco
05-01-2015, 22:12
Hi Ken,

Looking forward to hearing your 66s again to see how you’ve advanced their performance from last year! :)

Marco.

Qwin
05-01-2015, 22:20
Yeh, be nice seeing you again Marco, looking forward to hearing your Techie.

Marco
05-01-2015, 22:38
Are you bringing your T/T this time? Doubt you’ll have room if you’re bringing the Tannoys, too! :)

Yeah, not demoed the Techy at a show for a while, certainly since fitting the BBP and ETP platter. Also, I’m not sure how many people will have heard a DL-S1 or Paul’s MC head amp.

Marco.

Qwin
05-01-2015, 23:59
Not bringing the TT, like you say I will be pushing it to fit the Celestions and the Tannoys in the car, that's if they fit. Still there should be enough variety with what folks are bringing.

MCRU
06-01-2015, 20:57
Are you bringing your T/T this time? Doubt you’ll have room if you’re bringing the Tannoys, too! :)

Yeah, not demoed the Techy at a show for a while, certainly since fitting the BBP and ETP platter. Also, I’m not sure how many people will have heard a DL-S1 or Paul’s MC head amp.

Marco.

You just put 4 tyres on it don't you and drive it up? :lol:

See you there! :ner:

Marco
06-01-2015, 21:24
Yup, dude. See ya there! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
06-01-2015, 22:34
Coming down with Ali Tait.
Be good to meet y'all and put faces to the names.

Marco
06-01-2015, 22:38
Nice one, Gaz - it’s about time we met, matey! Hey, if Ali’s coming, we’d better warn the bar now to get some more stock in!! :D

Marco.

Gazjam
06-01-2015, 22:40
And the cakes... :)

ask anyone who met me at Owsten...long story!
(Not that I remember much of it....)

Bringing my modded Young Dac with Si(SQ_) linear PSU.

*EDIT*
Nicks bringing his Dac, I'll stick to bringing down some music!

brian2957
06-01-2015, 22:43
Nice one guys . I'm working unfortunately , enjoy :)

Ali Tait
06-01-2015, 22:50
Nice one, Gaz - it’s about time we met, matey! Hey, if Ali’s coming, we’d better warn the bar now to get some more stock in!! :D

Marco.

And Whaddaya mean by that then??

Nah, be driving mate, soft drinks only!

Gazjam
06-01-2015, 22:51
And Whaddaya mean by that then??
Nah, be driving mate, soft drinks only!

As the passenger in the journey I of course will be abstaining too... :cool:

Marco
06-01-2015, 22:52
Feck, huv you drawn the short straw? Never mind, the cakes shall be yours! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Ali Tait
06-01-2015, 23:03
Well, unless Gaz drives back to Rich's.. :-)

RichB
06-01-2015, 23:22
Well, unless Gaz drives back to Rich's.. :-)

As I'm driving I'll be staying dry too so you'll be in good company.

I'll get a few refreshments in for back to mine later!

Marco
06-01-2015, 23:25
Don’t forget the party and banging choons being held in the car park, in my ‘hearse’… ;)

Marco.

brian2957
06-01-2015, 23:41
Police escort to the edge of the town then :lol:

RichB
06-01-2015, 23:42
Don’t forget the party and banging choons being held in the car park, in my ‘hearse’… ;)

Marco.

Mind those bifter burns on that upholstery now!

Marco
07-01-2015, 10:03
Hehehehe…. :eyebrows:

Marco.

337alant
07-01-2015, 21:05
Look forward to hearing your pimped Techy Marco, and your RP8 Richy :eyebrows:
I will bring the Pioneer PLC-590 as well

Alan

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:09
No problemo, Alan! :)

Can I just check how many folk will be bringing a phono stage with them and what that will be (also whether it offers both MM and MC facility or just one or the other)?

Marco.

Jimbo
07-01-2015, 21:09

Alan

Need a nice Vinyl spinner for the Croft 25R+, analoque is where it comes alive. Always wanted to hear Marco,s Techy so maybe this would be a good place to start, especially as he uses Croft himself:fingers:

RichB
07-01-2015, 21:21

Alan

Wish I had an RP8 Alan! As it stands my current vinyl is setup is somewhat more humble.

337alant
07-01-2015, 21:25
I can bring my Paradise phono and also a MM phono which is a Chinese clone of the Buggle 2 but sound's good.

Alan

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:29
Need a nice Vinyl spinner for the Croft 25R+, analoque is where it comes alive. Always wanted to hear Marco,s Techy so maybe this would be a good place to start, especially as he uses Croft himself:fingers:

Lol - if that’s your 'starting point', you’ll need deep pockets! :eyebrows:

Anyway, you’ve kind of ‘heard’ my T/T when you’ve been listening to The Nutcracker vinyl rip I did for you. Have you been playing it? :)

Marco.

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:32
I can bring my Paradise phono and also a MM phono which is a Chinese clone of the Buggle 2 but sound's good.

Sounds good, Alan. I’d like to hear my T/T through the Paradise, and the MM one would be interesting to try with my Paul Hynes MC head amp/PSU :)

Marco.

Jimbo
07-01-2015, 21:35

Anyway, you’ve kind of ‘heard’ my T/T when you’ve been listening to The Nutcracker vinyl rip I did for you. Have you been playing it? :)

Marco.

The Nutcracker vinyl rip was for a friends Christmas present so unfortunately I did not get to hear it but the lady in question has played nothing else, can't believe how good it is!

I should have taken a rip of the rip for myself :)

Look forward to meeting up at NEBO, gonna be a long journey for me so hope weather doesn,t play up too much!

Ali Tait
07-01-2015, 21:38
Will have my two box Firebottle, a Denon head amp and Nick is bringing a phono stage which I suspect will be something special...

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:45
The Nutcracker vinyl rip was for a friends Christmas present so unfortunately I did not get to hear it but the lady in question has played nothing else, can't believe how good it is!

I should have taken a rip of the rip for myself :)

Ah, I wasn’t quite sure who the discs were for… I’m pleased she likes the results. As I’m getting a new system for the car, I plan on ripping loads more vinyl for playing when I’m in there, so I’ll hopefully be refining the process down to a fine art, and so the results will be even better if you want something else done! :cool:

Look forward to meeting up at NEBO, gonna be a long journey for me so hope weather does play up too much!

Yup, me too. Looks like there will be no snow (just wind and rain), which is the only thing that would stop me coming.

Marco.

Marco
07-01-2015, 21:46
Will have my two box Firebottle, a Denon head amp and Nick is bringing a phono stage which I suspect will be something special...

Great stuff - no shortage of quality phono stages, then! :)

Marco.

struth
08-01-2015, 11:07

Marco.

is that the full version on 2 discs Marco?

Marco
08-01-2015, 11:24
Ya, baby :)

Marco.

Halfway Tree
08-01-2015, 18:42
Wow! Looks like lots of interesting kit being brought to this. As I'm not bringing any kit I'll dig out some vinyl as there seems to be a fair number of turntables. Should be a great day (and night!).

See you all there.

Gordon

YNWaN
08-01-2015, 20:14
I think Si is intending to bring his Paradise phono which is MC only.

vinyljunky
08-01-2015, 22:02
Bringing my humble croft phono intergrated and goldenote valve CD player with upgraded valves also some Mark grant interconnects and mark grant power cables

RichB
08-01-2015, 23:35
Bringing my humble croft phono intergrated and goldenote valve CD player with upgraded valves also some Mark grant interconnects and mark grant power cables

Awesome mate, I'm taking a CD based system and keeping out of the vinyl shootout. I feel that would be like bringing a knife to gunfight. I'll have plenty of discs I want to hear on your spinner. I'd be interested to hear your Croft integrated with my RS5 speakers too!

Ali Tait
08-01-2015, 23:40
Going to be some good fun by the looks!

Marco
08-01-2015, 23:45
Yesh, especially if you come down in your kilt! :D

Marco.

Ali Tait
08-01-2015, 23:48
You mean my leather one?

Gazjam
09-01-2015, 11:29
Not bringing your "weekend" one Ali?

RichB
09-01-2015, 11:45
It's a bit drafty round here at the moment, a heavy sporran is recommended!

struth
09-01-2015, 11:46
when is it anyhoo?

Macca
09-01-2015, 11:47
Tomorrow

brian2957
09-01-2015, 11:47
Nah mate Alis used to the cold he's from waaaaay up north :lol:

RichB
09-01-2015, 12:04
I should get there before 11am, maybe earlier if I'm a good boy and get my chores done in time!

Floyddroid
09-01-2015, 15:45
Anyone other than Ken bringing Speakers?

RichB
09-01-2015, 15:48
Anyone other than Ken bringing Speakers?

Me... Rega RS5

RichB
09-01-2015, 16:06
Isn't Steve bringing his OBs too?

Ali Tait
09-01-2015, 16:15
Yep.

Floyddroid
09-01-2015, 16:15
Just wondering if i need to take a pair, remember last time Rich?
Me... Rega RS5

RichB
09-01-2015, 16:20
Just wondering if i need to take a pair, remember last time Rich?

I do mate and kicked myself for it.

Won't make that mistake again.

Although it turned out ok in the end as we had Wilbur's Spens to fall back on and Marco's 66s later on.

Don't make me chuck my 10quid pair of Ditton 15s in the car, they're quite good fun for what I paid I guess.

Ali Tait
09-01-2015, 16:22
Isn't Marco bringing a set too?

SPS
09-01-2015, 18:12
Isn't Steve bringing his OBs too?

I will and hope to be there around 11.am too,
but bear in mind i have to be off around 4.30...
I'll also bring a couple of class d amps, they will open your eyes for what they cost (if you have not heard them? Single ended amps...its all good

Cheers

vinyljunky
09-01-2015, 18:45
Always wanted to hear rs5s would love to hear them with my croft Richie I bet they sound awesome for what they cost which way do you have the side drivers in or out

Gazjam
09-01-2015, 18:56
Anyone bringing a laptop with them?
Could bring my Transporter down if there's any interest?

Ali Tait
09-01-2015, 19:00
Could take mine mate if you like.

Gazjam
09-01-2015, 19:17
Could take mine mate if you like.

Actually, it's a fair old faff to get it running without a network.
There's plenty of kit coming anyway, will leave it.

Will bring some choice vinyl and hires digital,on a pen drive.

RichB
09-01-2015, 19:27
Always wanted to hear rs5s would love to hear them with my croft Richie I bet they sound awesome for what they cost which way do you have the side drivers in or out

Normally pointing outwards when in my living room, for me they just open up more that way. Pointing inwards it's a tighter sound but not as big. I'm concerned they may be swamped by the room tomorrow so we'll all have to sit close lol. Reckon they'll sound awesome with Croft. What time you getting there?

Ali Tait
09-01-2015, 19:45

Aye, I think we'll struggle to get through all the kit as it is..

Floyddroid
09-01-2015, 21:51
If i had access to a van i would have brought my D900's

337alant
09-01-2015, 22:54

That's the problem with a digital system mine works perfectly on my home network and sounds superb but it would be a right faf on to get it to work at the windmill.

Alan

Gazjam
10-01-2015, 05:26
Your right Alan, there'll be loads of kit there and only so much time in the day.

Listen guys, a change of plan for me,
I'm going to sit this one out...sorry!
The weather up here is just too wild, driving (for me) is too risky.

Enjoy the day lads, I'm wussing out!
Catch you for NEBO 6.

Floyddroid
10-01-2015, 06:56
I fully understand. I haven't slept all night thinking the roof was coming off. Better safe than sorry. I know that the journey from Glasgow can be a little perilous in high winds. Hopefully it won't effect our brethren from the south too much.Hopefully it will start blowing itself out soon. Judging from the posts above we are still going to be in for a very interesting day. Hope that the rest of you can make it.
Your right Alan, there'll be loads of kit there and only so much time in the day.

Catch you for NEBO 6.

Gazjam
10-01-2015, 07:18
Thanks Steve,
looking forward to reading how you all got on.

Have a great day lads.

vinyljunky
10-01-2015, 07:40
Hopefully be there for around 1pm depending on getting away from work richy :)

RichB
10-01-2015, 08:54

Catch you for NEBO 6.

Better safe than sorry mate. The offer of digs still stands for NEBO6.

Its fair blaain a hooley oot thar today.

Hope all those travelling to NEBO today stay safe on them roads and theres not too much weather related disruption.

Halfway Tree
10-01-2015, 09:18
Everything at my house running at about 110v this morning. Switchmode power supplies rule this morning, but not much else is working. Don't know how widespread this is.

See you later guys.

Gordon

Halfway Tree
10-01-2015, 10:53
Power fully restored. See you in about an hour.

Gordon

struth
10-01-2015, 11:44
still blowing hard with occasional heavy snow up here..hope you all faired better on the trip down and your power stays on. failing that drink it dry;)

brian2957
10-01-2015, 11:49
Have a safe journey to and from NEBO . Hope you all have a great day chaps .

MCRU
10-01-2015, 20:42
Could not make it myself due to illness, a couple of pics sent by Nick to me....

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=038fd27ff4&view=fimg&th=14ad48dc99437f58&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_rGByYULZbIc2NpGZriOLNV1tpvr2L68Q6abN fNcNZgbNyHg1Ql4pL-xTehRSqLZKY_mN54I1JfZwueFThtr64iGkU5M-DJRr22_stpzdiCECHa-AP8TO7NV0&ats=1420922203945&rm=14ad48dc99437f58&zw&sz=w1896-h835

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=038fd27ff4&view=fimg&th=14ad55f0c1b60759&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9Y-MzerPoDdBVraoOHWy--02Qld2KMp4Ih-8e988hGl6NV4ynECn9TTiW6DKFV4_wkyczIrBcdX9Z1pg0nfFl rcWcbhuI7Lwl7DIWxbqJQBEuepqeUsiqUsL4&ats=1420922203948&rm=14ad55f0c1b60759&zw&sz=w1896-h835

Floyddroid
11-01-2015, 09:53
Thank you so much to everyone who braved the weather and came to Nebo 5. A brilliant day spent with great people. A very special event methinks.

Marco
11-01-2015, 10:19
Yup, a really great event with nice people and some fantastic kit. I’ll mention my highlights later (and there were many)… :)

Thanks a lot, Steve, for holding this event - it gets better and better every year! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
11-01-2015, 10:22
Could not make it myself due to illness, a couple of pics sent by Nick to me....

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=038fd27ff4&view=fimg&th=14ad48dc99437f58&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_rGByYULZbIc2NpGZriOLNV1tpvr2L68Q6abN fNcNZgbNyHg1Ql4pL-xTehRSqLZKY_mN54I1JfZwueFThtr64iGkU5M-DJRr22_stpzdiCECHa-AP8TO7NV0&ats=1420922203945&rm=14ad48dc99437f58&zw&sz=w1896-h835

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=038fd27ff4&view=fimg&th=14ad55f0c1b60759&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ9Y-MzerPoDdBVraoOHWy--02Qld2KMp4Ih-8e988hGl6NV4ynECn9TTiW6DKFV4_wkyczIrBcdX9Z1pg0nfFl rcWcbhuI7Lwl7DIWxbqJQBEuepqeUsiqUsL4&ats=1420922203948&rm=14ad55f0c1b60759&zw&sz=w1896-h835

Piccies no showy, daftee...

Hope you’re feeling better! :)

Marco.

RichB
11-01-2015, 10:53
Yup, a really great event with nice people and some fantastic kit. I’ll mention my highlights later (and there were many)… :)

Thanks a lot, Steve, for holding this event - it gets better and better every year! :cool:

Marco.

Indeed an excellent event. Fantastic kit, good banter and most importantly a nice 'lets try this' kind of atmosphere.

The event was well attended and it was great to meet up again with some familiar faces from both NEBO & Owston and make some new acquaintances too.

Sadly most of my phone pics taken after dark were pretty poor so I'll not post them yet and see which other pics turn up then plug any gaps if necessary. I saw Ken (Qwin) with camera in hand for much of the day and taking notes as he went so I expect a full and detailed review will emerge at some point.

After many folk had left there was a small hardcore of us who stayed back to mess around with Mick's Quad ESLs, Steve's Ruarks, my RS5s and a variety of amps and dacs.

There was a very late highlight experienced by the lucky few when we combined my laptop with Nick's excellent longdog DAC and pre and powered my Rega RS5s with Ali's 300b monos. A bit of road to Damascus moment for me. Who'd have thunk the Regas enjoyed valve watts up em the the way they did and produced the best sound I've ever had out them in any setup. They came alive like never before and although Ali described the monos as a bit tired, they certainly didn't sound it in that set up.

Anyway, I'm off to go rethink what I previously thought I knew.

Suffice to say an excellent day and again hats off to Steve for organising.

NEBO goes from strength to strength.

vinyljunky
11-01-2015, 11:05
Was at nebo 5 last night awesome will post an indepth write up on it later today but for now I lost an outer sleeve on the wbt0102 plug fitted to my mark grants I wondered if any of the fellow aos members spotted it and pick it up I know a few were hammered so it's a long shot:mental::mental::mental:

RichB
11-01-2015, 11:11
Was at nebo 5 last night awesome will post an indepth write up on it later today but for now I lost an outer sleeve on the wbt0102 plug fitted to my mark grants I wondered if any of the fellow aos members spotted it and pick it up I know a few were hammered so it's a long shot:mental::mental::mental:

I was one of the last ones out mate and cleared up the area we'd occupied and never noticed anything. Maybe worth dropping by and checking around those tables up the back as that's where most of our kit was.

vinyljunky
11-01-2015, 11:14
Cheers rich it was great to hear those rs5s :)

clarkey555
11-01-2015, 11:23
I also attended nebo 5 and have to say I have been completely blown away again just so much kit and systems old and new. Praise be to Ali t who braved the weather and showed a real passion for music well done bud and safe journey back home and a big thank you to les for sharing his wisdom with me one of the good guys in the industry cheers bud and mik rik always a pleasure to meet rich b Mr rega love you man and everybody else who turned up great to meet you all and last but not least Steve the man who has made nebo what it is as I said last night steve I really appreciate all the hard work and effort you have put in to hosting this event you are a star and I am so glad to have met you btw your ruarks are killer man sweet as hope everybody there enjoyed themselves and everyone had a safe journey home see you all again soon. Pete

lurcher
11-01-2015, 11:32
Yep, A really great day out, good to meet up with new folk and those I already knew. Thanks again Steve for making it happen.

struth
11-01-2015, 11:36
Indeed an excellent event. Fantastic kit, good banter and most importantly a nice 'lets try this' kind of atmosphere.

The event was well attended and it was great to meet up again with some familiar faces from both NEBO & Owston and make some new acquaintances too.

Sadly most of my phone pics taken after dark were pretty poor so I'll not post them yet and see which other pics turn up then plug any gaps if necessary. I saw Ken (Qwin) with camera in hand for much of the day and taking notes as he went so I expect a full and detailed review will emerge at some point.

After many folk had left there was a small hardcore of us who stayed back to mess around with Mick's Quad ESLs, Steve's Ruarks, my RS5s and a variety of amps and dacs.

There was a very late highlight experienced by the lucky few when we combined my laptop with Nick's excellent longdog DAC and pre and powered my Rega RS5s with Ali's 300b monos. A bit of road to Damascus moment for me. Who'd have thunk the Regas enjoyed valve watts up em the the way they did and produced the best sound I've ever had out them in any setup. They came alive like never before and although Ali described the monos as a bit tired, they certainly didn't sound it in that set up.

Anyway, I'm off to go rethink what I previously thought I knew.

Suffice to say an excellent day and again hats off to Steve for organising.

NEBO goes from strength to strength.

snapseed will clean them up Rich. its free too and works on android now too. i use it a lot.

RichB
11-01-2015, 11:37
Cheers rich it was great to hear those rs5s :)

It's a shame you didn't get to hear them with Ali's valve monos. Out of this world good.

Your croft integrated was also good to hear with them. I've heard many people describe Croft as honest in their presentation and I wouldn't disagree with that. Really open and clean sound but maybe not the ideal match for the RS5.

If you're still on the lookout for that perfect pair of floorstanders I reckon Colin Topps Edingdales would do the job perfectly. There have been a pair for sale here not long go and I'd put them on your listen to list mate.

vinyljunky
11-01-2015, 11:46
Don't come up very often but will also check them out think your right wasn't a great synergy between your rs5s and the croft that's the trouble with hifi can be a complete lottery as to what gels with what.i bet your rs5s sing with your brio r.

vinyljunky
11-01-2015, 12:02
Possibly also the croft was struggling with 6 ohms and also the size of the room

RichB
11-01-2015, 12:28
I also attended nebo 5 and have to say I have been completely blown away again just so much kit and systems old and new. Praise be to Ali t who braved the weather and showed a real passion for music well done bud and safe journey back home and a big thank you to les for sharing his wisdom with me one of the good guys in the industry cheers bud and mik rik always a pleasure to meet rich b Mr rega love you man and everybody else who turned up great to meet you all and last but not least Steve the man who has made nebo what it is as I said last night steve I really appreciate all the hard work and effort you have put in to hosting this event you are a star and I am so glad to have met you btw your ruarks are killer man sweet as hope everybody there enjoyed themselves and everyone had a safe journey home see you all again soon. Pete

Pleasure as always chatting with you Pete. Enjoyed our good banter on how we got into this hobby in the first place. All the best.

RichB
11-01-2015, 12:30
snapseed will clean them up Rich. its free too and works on android now too. i use it a lot.

Cheers, I'll check that out and post any which the other lads have missed.

RichB
11-01-2015, 12:31
Don't come up very often but will also check them out think your right wasn't a great synergy between your rs5s and the croft that's the trouble with hifi can be a complete lottery as to what gels with what.i bet your rs5s sing with your brio r.

I think Colin may be able to help if you wanted to hear a pair. I love them to bits but decided they were just too much for my room unfortunately.

337alant
11-01-2015, 13:01

Ill nip round later on today and see if I can spot it M8

Had a great day yesterday well organised and a good team event by all to keep it flowing I think.
There was some fabulous kit there and some great sounds and very big thanks for organising it again your a star

Alan

SPS
11-01-2015, 13:08
I had a really good day, some nice kit and really good sounds and great hospitality

Got home just in time for my night out but i drove home wishing i had stayed over

Thanks to Steve for orgainising it was a great event

337alant
11-01-2015, 14:25
VinylJunky re WBT Sleeve
Well your long shot paid off when I got there the cleaner was just finishing off and he remembered it so we had to go through the waist bag but it was there, so result.
PM me where you live and Ill pop it in the post

Alan

Gazjam
11-01-2015, 14:27
I think Colin may be able to help if you wanted to hear a pair. I love them to bits but decided they were just too much for my room unfortunately.

+1 for the Eddingdales.

First heard them down at Owsten and never heard anything like them.

As monkey coffins go, they are pretty big but sonically they vanish in the way 'statics do.
Box speakers without the box.
Might not be domestically acceptable to all, but they can be used hard up against the back wall and Colins woodwork is top notch. They really are a gorgeous piece of furniture.

I love mine. :)
Last speakers I'll ever own short of a lottery win, and even then I'll be like, "Hmnn..."

Sounds like a good time was had by all, great stuff. :)

MCRU
11-01-2015, 15:43
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/nebo_zpse004c2eb.jpghttp://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/nebo1_zps15a8b634.jpg

Macca
11-01-2015, 16:53
I better write this now while I can still recall most of what happened:

First of all thanks to Steve for organising yet another successful bake-off - a huge turn out - and Marco for doing all the driving. I can attest that his new JBL car stereo rocks.:)

Arrived at about 1130 just in time for the first event which was Steve's Ruark Crusader 3 speakers run off of Ali's Kraken amp and Tandberg RTR. That worked really well in a portent for things to come. Next was Rich B's Rega Dac, Brio R amp and R6(?) speakers fed by a Marantz - a great sound to kick off with, crisp and well defined sound in the modern way but with proper tone and texture. A really good small-scale set up.

I was starving so I went next door and had a steak. When I got back we had a listen to Steve's (SPS) three way open baffles with his own valve pre-power doing the amplification. Superb, effortless sound. The term 'walk around soundstage' is often mis-used these days but this set up really did have it. This was a big room (I'd guess 35' by 40') but they filled the whole room easily with a couple of watts. Stunning.

Alan's Tascam RTR through his home built pre-power into the aforementioned Ruarks was also a top sound. The Ruarks have a dome mid and ribbon tweeters and take no prisoners - very revealing speakers.

We had a listen to S-Man's active bass system with transistor amp driving the bass and a valve amp doing the mid and top. He wasn't afraid to let it scale the north face of Grand Funk Railroad at high SPL and it did it no problem - with noticeably good bass timing - very impressive. Busy rock mixes are always the acid test for me, not girl with guitar singing a dirge - not that I minded when she popped up as she inevitably did on occasion it was a chance to nip out for a smoke. ;)

After tea-time and dusk had fallen the numbers had thinned out a little and the curtains were closed, lights dimmed and the turntables were wheeled out. First of all the most beautiful TT in the world, Alan's Pioneer PL590D with Kontrapunkt B - lovely sound. Next up Marco's uber-Technics. I'd heard it previously but it raised a few eyebrows amongst those who hadn't. It really did sound very good indeed through four ( I think, I lost count) different phono stages (Ali's 2 box Firebottle, the 2 box Paradise, Nick's own design and at least one other I forget the name of). I liked the Paradise best but I think I was in the minority there. Suffice it to say they all sounded quality, there was just slight differences of presentation.

In any case whatever music was played on the Technics through these combos (still using Alan's amps and swapping between Ken's Celestion 66 and Steve's Ruarks) it was impossible to get a bad sound. Things rocked up a bit with some Zep and King Crimson, some 'wow' moments were had. The Ruarks and Celestions readily showed the difference in presentation between old school speakers and the modern (rough) equivalent. The 66 being less revealing were easier to listen to but the Ruarks have that breath-taking clarity that makes every note of the music an event in itself.

By now it was late but there was still time for a listen to some QUAD ESL driven by Ali's valve monoblocks with Rich B doing the honours on the laptop and a USB stick of music supplied by Les W. Long time since I heard ESL 57 and they are still as amazing as I remember them, knocking out some Doors and Floyd.

So that's it, I did take some pictures on my telephone but it and my computer don't seem to be speaking so I will have to try and upload them tomorrow at work if I can.

Great event, thanks again Steve and sorry if I have missed anything crucial or got anything wrong.

vinyljunky
11-01-2015, 16:54
Cheers Alan I will pm you an address top bloke.
Right here we go checked out all the runners and riders from last night for the vinyljunky gongs I'm going to give out.First award for turntable of the night was a close run thing Marcos technics was superb especially partnered withe Avondale amps and ruark crusader 3 it had me drooling .But Alan's pioneer hooked up to the voyager amps and ruark crusaders just edged it phew it was close so the award for best turntable goes to Alan's pioneer.Second award of the night was for the best amp.The avondales were very musical Ali t's valve monoblocks were very smooth and detailed but the winner was Alan's. Voyager amps.The last award was for speakers of the night the open baffle speakers were very interesting and gave a very open sound with lots of detail.The dittons had plenty of bass and a fast coherent sound micks quads when he got them positioned right had lovely detailed mid range but the winners were Stevens ruark crusader 3's they had a lovely smooth coherent sound and nice tight bass no boominess .So these are your winners from last night:cool:

Halfway Tree
11-01-2015, 21:03
What a great afternoon and evening of music and chat! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Shame I had to miss the Quads at the end - always enjoy hearing the 57s. The time seemed to fly by, but I thought the format worked really well and there was plenty of time for swapping kit in and out of systems. The room also worked well and everything sounded so enjoyable.

A big thanks to Steve for organising once again, and also to those folks who drove some considerable distance to attend. It was a great turnout and a real diversity of gear and music. Have already ordered some of the tunes that I heard for the first time - especially liked that particular version of Hugh Masakela's Stimela from the Hope album - it reminded me very much of when I saw him many years ago in Los Angeles - he stole the show with that song!

Once again, many thanks to Steve and friends for sorting everything - when's the next one!!!:D

Gordon

Qwin
11-01-2015, 22:40
NEBO 5

Saturday 10/01/2015
10:00am to 11:00pm

Many thanks to Steve for doing all the leg work and organising another great event. :thumbsup:

This is just an overvue to give you a flavour of what went down, there was far too much going on for me to write a detailed account.
That would have turned into a full time job and I would have missed out on the events atmosphere and conversations.
The events are in chronological order, if I've made any cock ups let me know and I will try and make changes before the window expires.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_01.jpg
Some of the early birds at the start.
Left to right, Alan Towell, Ali Tait, mik_rik, Steve Petch (Organiser), RichB, Marco, Nick Gorham, Macca, Jimbo.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_02.jpg
I kicked things off with my Sugden A21a and matching CD player through the Celestion 66's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_03.jpg
Next up, Richard giving his introduction for the Marantz CD63 used as transport into the Rega Brio DAC and AMP and his Rega RS5 speakers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_04.jpg
Ali setting up his kit, as he was next and played through Steve Petch's Raurk Crusader III's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_05.jpg
A closer look at Ali's table includes, amongst others, the Kraken, a pair of 300B monoblocks and a tasty Tandberg R to R.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_06.jpg
Steve Sheills intro for his DIY open Baffle speakers that include an 18" bass and four other drivers including a ribbon tweeter and a super tweeter.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_07.jpg
Steves power comes from his PX25 output valves and a heady 5w at max.
His speakers are a hundred and odd dB sensitive, so only half volume created an impressive sound level.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_08.jpg
Steve Okeefe and his Golden Note "Koala" CD playing into his Croft 25 Integrated and Richards RS5's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_09.jpg
Alan Towell launches his DIY Voyager monoblocks (bottom two below the tape) fed from his trusty Tascam BR20 R to R.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_10.jpg
A few more faces, too many to list but Lez Wolstenholme (Avondale) is pictured far right. Lez has become a bit of a regular at the NEBO meets.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_11.jpg
Dave (S-Man) and Mike from Leeds were first timers and brought along some very interesting projects.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_12.jpg
These included, a modded Arcam CD feeding a DIY pre/active x-over and a Grant GL50 tweaked to run KT88's provided power.
The box at the bottom of the stack is a hush hush piece of distortion cancelation electronics that managed to get a remarkably clean and deep bass out of three 6" Seas drivers mounted in a small sealed box.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_13.jpg
At this point we moved over to Vinyl and Alan replaced the R to R with his Pioneer deck and DIY Paradise Phono (on the floor).

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_14.jpg
The direct drive Pioneer is a PLC 590/SME3009-2/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_15.jpg
A few of the folks chewing the cudd after a demo. "so I said no way man and gave him the finger" :D

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_16.jpg
I managed to hook my Tannoy Cheviots up to some of Ali's Tubes and then Rich's Rega Brio for comparison.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_17.jpg
James "Jimbo" brought along his Croft Micro 25R + Pre amp which has a MM phono and the RS line stage installed. With the aid of a Paul Haynes head amp this played Alans Pioneer and MC cartridge through the Voyagers and Steves Raurk speakers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_18.jpg
The Pioneer was swapped out for Marco's Techie/Ortofon RS212D/Denon DLS1. We got into some serious box swapping here and tried lots of phono stages including a Firebottle.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_19.jpg
Nick Gorham brought along the Phono stage/step up he designed and available from Music First Audio.
(I think I got that right).

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_20.jpg
Nicks Phono stage in use, Ali introduced His Power supply into the system to see what effect it had. It's built into a desktop PC size case and is just visable through the right hand rack. It has a Teroidal Transformer the size of a dinner plate in there and is err heavy. It made a very noticable reduction in the noise floor.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_21.jpg
mik_rik's Quad ESL-57's. Mick admited he hadn't used them for about twelve months so it was fingers crossed, but they were fine and soon settled with some watts provided by Ali's 300B Monoblocks and a file based front end supplied by RichB.

I left the die hards to it at this point as I was driving.

Great day - in my view the best NEBO event to date, really enjoyed all the gear, hearing some must have tracks and chatting to folks again.
And respect, to those that travelled large distances to get there in uncertain weather conditions.

RichB
11-01-2015, 23:06
NEBO 5

Saturday 10/01/2015
10:00am to 11:00pm

Many thanks to Steve for doing all the leg work and organising another great event. :thumbsup:

This is just an overvue to give you a flavour of what went down, there was far too much going on for me to write a detailed account.
That would have turned into a full time job and I would have missed out on the events atmosphere and conversations.
The events are in chronological order, if I've made any cock ups let me know and I will try and make changes before the window expires.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_01.jpg
Some of the early birds at the start.
Left to right, Alan Towell, Ali Tait, mik_rik, Steve Petch (Organiser), RichB, Marco, Nick Gorham, Macca, Jimbo.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_02.jpg
I kicked things off with my Sugden A21a and matching CD player through the Celestion 66's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_03.jpg
Next up, Richard giving his introduction for the Marantz CD63 used as transport into the Rega Brio DAC and AMP and his Rega RS5 speakers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_04.jpg
Ali setting up his kit, as he was next and played through Steve Petch's Raurk Crusader III's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_05.jpg
A closer look at Ali's table includes, amongst others, the Kraken, a pair of 300B monoblocks and a tasty Tandberg R to R.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_06.jpg
Steve Sheills intro for his DIY open Baffle speakers that include an 18" bass and four other drivers including a ribbon tweeter and a super tweeter.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_07.jpg
Steves power comes from his PX25 output valves and a heady 5w at max.
His speakers are a hundred and odd dB sensitive, so only half volume created an impresive sound level.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_08.jpg
Steve Okeefe and his Golden Note "Koala" CD playing into his Croft 25 Integrated and Richards RS5's.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_09.jpg
Alan Towell launches his DIY Voyager monoblocks (bottom two below the tape) fed from his trusty Tascam BR20 R to R.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_10.jpg
A few more faces, too many to list but Lez Wolstenholme (Avondale) is pictured far right. Lez has become a bit of a regular at the NEBO meets.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_11.jpg
Dave (S-Man) and Mike from Leeds were first timers and brought along some very interesting projects.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_12.jpg
These included, a modded Arcam CD feeding a DIY pre/active x-over and a Grant GL50 tweaked to run KT88's provided power.
The box at the bottom of the stack is a hush hush piece of distortion cancelation electronics that managed to get a remarkably clean and deep bass out of three 6" Seas drivers mounted in a small sealed box.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_13.jpg
At this point we moved over to Vinyl and Alan replaced the R to R with his Pioneer deck and DIY Paradise Phono (on the floor).

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_14.jpg
The direct drive Pioneer is a PLC 590/SME3009-2/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_15.jpg
A few of the folks chewing the cudd after a demo. "so I said no way man and gave him the finger" :D

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_16.jpg
I managed to hook my Tannoy Cheviots up to some of Ali's Tubes and then Rich's Rega Brio for comparison.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_17.jpg
James "Jimbo" brought along his Croft Micro 25R + Pre amp which has a MM phono and the RS line stage installed. With the aid of a Paul Haynes head amp this played Alans Pioneer and MC cartridge through the Voyagers and Steves Raurk speakers.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_18.jpg
The Pioneer was swapped out for Marco's Techie/Ortofon RS212D/Denon DLS1. We got into some serious box swapping here and tried lots of phono stages including a Firebottle.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_19.jpg
Nick Gorham brought along the Phono stage/step up he designed and available from Music First Audio.
(I think I got that right).

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_20.jpg
Nicks Phono stage in use, Ali introduced His Power supply into the system to see what effect it had. It's built into a desktop PC size case and is just visable through the right hand rack. It has a Teroidal Transformer the size of a dinner plate in there and is err heavy. It made a very noticable reduction in the noise floor.

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Project_Images/NEBO%205/nebo5_21.jpg
mik_rik's Quad ESL-57's. Mick admited he hadn't used them for about twelve months so it was fingers crossed, but they were fine and soon settled with some watts provided by Ali's 300B Monoblocks and a file based front end supplied by RichB.

I left the die hards to it at this point as I was driving.

Great day - in my view the best NEBO event to date, really enjoyed all the gear, hearing some must have tracks and chatting to folks again.
And respect, to those that travelled large distances to get there in uncertain weather conditions.

As anticipated, excellent pics. Good work Ken.

The file based front end in the last pic was my laptop playing FLAC files via JRiver media player, Supra USB 2.0, HiFimeDIY Sabre 9023 DAC and 8v PSU. We also put Mick's 11quid 'Little Bear' tube buffer-pre in there to very good effect. I'm after one of these now for a wee diy project with a class D amp which I'll have ready for next NEBO. After you left we plugged the laptop into to a Musical Fidelity Vlink II and Nick's excellent LDA valve DAC.

Floyddroid
12-01-2015, 11:07
Well, what can i say? Simply the best NEBO yet. Again, many thanks to those who traveled many miles for many hours. I hope that you all enjoyed yourselves, i know i did. I have written a review on my website the link is below. I hope that you don't mind chaps i have stolen some of your pictures as they were much better than mine. It truly was a pleasure to organize the event and to a point co-ordinate things. I hope to run in to some of you real soon.

Regards

Steve

http://progmeister.com/nebo-5-grand-day

Ali Tait
12-01-2015, 11:59
Nice write up Steve. Will post more thoughts later, my PC is tied up copying files, but just like to say it was a great day out, great to meet up with some folk again and to put faces to some names. Some great sounds were had too.

Jimbo
12-01-2015, 12:53
Just recovered from my long drive back but I must say coming up to NEBO5 was certainly worth it. Thanks Steve for organising a great day and I think I got the most out of it staying to the very end. Glad I kipped at the hotel. I thought the room set up and 3 track rule worked great as it allowed us all to hear so much kit. Indeed there was a fantastic variety of equipment on the day, much of which I had not heard before.

I very much enjoyed listening to Rich's Rega/ Mission set up and Ali,s 300B's in all sorts of strange combinations.
Kens Celestions certainly had a big sound, I think this may not be his last version of them though.

For me there was some highlights including Alans R2R set up especially with his own amps played through Steves sensational Ruarks. However the day took on another level when the light dimmed and the Vinyl came out. Then it was all about the music as well as the equipment. Marco's TT certainly did the business and was most impressive indeed although Alans Pioneer TT was also stunning.

It was certainly a day to remember and great to meet you all. It was definitely worth the drive and I am looking forward to next years NEBO already.

brian2957
12-01-2015, 15:01
Fantastic write up and photos . Looks like a great day was had by all . Unfortunately I was working :rolleyes: I really need to get some forward planning done so I can attend the next one . Well done gents.

Starterman
12-01-2015, 18:36
My first NEBO and as a result I've joined AOS!
Must admit I did not know what to expect - it all seemed a bit vague (since I had not seen this thread). Anyway I got back without being dined on with a nice bottle of Chianti :eek:

I really enjoyed the easygoing nature of the event and that there seemed to be no real agenda other than to muck around with various bits of kit. Actually I was surprised to find that I had met some of the people yonks ago (Ali and Nick) - just shows how long we've been messing with this stuff.

Steve's OBs were a real ear opener, despite being at the opposite end of the design spectrum to the approach I tend to take. Great 'immersion' in the music on the Massive Attack track.
The Ruark Crusaders are also something rather special and sounded great with Alan's Voyagers. Shame I had to leave at 4:30 when the proper listening appears to have started.
The Rega system was also sounding nice and coherent.

I did feel rather nervous when it was time to give my system a blast, especially as it sounded rather different to at home. I was a bit unsure about my choice of music as I prefer not to play 'audiophile' approved stuff, but prefer music with a few rough edges. Must say I rather like this quote and I'm pleased that at least one other person likes GFR:

He wasn't afraid to let it scale the north face of Grand Funk Railroad at high SPL and it did it no problem

With a bit more time (maybe next time) I would like to see what people think to my fav ss amp - Leach LowTIM and also hear that and the GL50 against those Voyagers.

Anyway. Great event, a big thanks to Steve for organising it and to all those who contributed. :cool:

337alant
12-01-2015, 21:37
Was really nice to meet you in person SMan and I am glad you have joined AOS, you will be an asset here and I'm sure the final version of those speakers are going to be something special ;)

Alan

RichB
12-01-2015, 22:36
Was really nice to meet you in person SMan and I am glad you have joined AOS, you will be an asset here and I'm sure the final version of those speakers are going to be something special ;)

Alan

+1

Great to have some more new faces to the NEBO and welcome to AOS Dave.

You must have been well pleased with the way your system and speakers filled up the room. Another small design showing size ain't everything. Very much after my own heart there, and a fab choice of tunes too if I recall correctly. I was stood up the back for a bit of your demo yet recall having a bit wiggle so you know it's good.

Starterman
13-01-2015, 08:33
I'm sure the final version of those speakers are going to be something special ;)

Alan

So, in other words:- "They will be good when they're finished" :D:D:D

On a more serious note:
>90% of the character comes from the 2-way, the bass is just sitting it on a really firm foundation.
We have tried LS50, P3ESR, Usher 520, ESL63, LS3/5A, ESL57QA and Gale 401s as the '2-way' part. They are all very good but my favourites are the CAOW1s (the ones at NEBO) and, rather surprisingly, the Gales. Further listening needs to be done with the 63s but 1st impressions were very positive.

YNWaN
13-01-2015, 09:44
I'm glad to hear a good time was had by all :) - shame I couldn't make it; perhaps next time (assuming there is one).

Marco
13-01-2015, 10:15
Yes, you missed the ideal opportunity to hear my modded Techy (which I believe you were interested in listening to) through a phono stage that you know intimately well! ;)

The only chance of that now, unless you visit me, or I pop over to your place, is if someone would like to use my T/T in their demo system at Scalford, which judging by the response on that thread seems unlikely….

Anyway, I shall do a little write-up of my thoughts on NEBO 5 later. As an aside, thanks to all who enjoyed listening to my wee ‘DJ deck’! :)

Marco.

P.S Your record clamp was also well received and considered as an ingenious design.

RichB
13-01-2015, 11:25
Yes, you missed the ideal opportunity to hear my modded Techy (which I believe you were interested in listening to) through a phono stage that you know intimately well! ;)

The only chance of that now, unless you visit me, or I pop over to you, is if someone would like to use my T/T in their demo system at Scalford, which judging by the response on that thread seems unlikely….

Anyway, I shall do a little write-up of my thoughts on NEBO 5 later. As an aside, thanks to all who enjoyed listening to my wee ‘DJ deck’! :)

Marco.

P.S Your record clamp was also well received and considered as an ingenious design.

Marco, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the techie which was evident in the number of requests I made with the various LPs I'd brought.

It was a treat to hear some of Beck's moving 'Morning Phase' album on your deck. It was an album from last year which connected with me at an emotional level. I won't say why here. Suffice to say your techie delivered the emotion brilliantly and the track we chose gave me goosebumps.

Modded techies aren't normally my thing, especially when they come across as analytical. Yours did all the resolution and kept the soul of the recording too. This where it's at for me.

If I were you though I'd be saving up for one of Nick's phono stages. They partnered very well indeed.

Ali Tait
13-01-2015, 11:36
They did indeed. That is one amazing phono stage.

Jimbo
13-01-2015, 12:27

+1

mik_rik
13-01-2015, 18:08
Just a few lines to add to what has already been said about NEBO 5. First , credit to Steve for organising and hosting the proceedings ,good to see him enjoying the day the longer it went on:cool:.His Ruarks and Rich's rega's had no right to sound so good , no matter what was connected.A lot has been said already about the quality of the gear exhibited throughout the day , but after a few hours of listening I found myself listening more and more to what was being played and thinking it could not get any better , then a minute or so later,another passage, and an even bigger grin as it did just that! The highlight for me was Steve,s PX25 amp with open baffle speaker system,I still have not got over it yet it was a privelege to hear it . Was a bit disappointed with my Quads ,the only down side to another thoroughly enjoyable day,roll on NEBO6.(vinyl junkie ,the offer to borrow the valve preamp is still open

Qwin
13-01-2015, 18:44
Did anyone find a Sugden remote control for a CD player - I seem to have lost mine somewhere along the way.
The Windmill staff said they will keep an eye out for it, just wondering if anyone spoted it at the end of the night.

Agree about those OB speakers Mick, they give a very different presentation and in a good way.

RichB
13-01-2015, 19:34
Did anyone find a Sugden remote control for a CD player - I seem to have lost mine somewhere along the way.
The Windmill staff said they will keep an eye out for it, just wondering if anyone spoted it at the end of the night.

Agree about those OB speakers Mick, they give a very different presentation and in a good way.

Ken, we found it at the end of the night and Steve's lad put it in his box of tricks. I figured it would be easier for you to pick it up from him rather than me. Steve probably won't remember having been well served throughout the day.;)

vinyljunky
13-01-2015, 20:44
mick yeah i will borrow the preamp just pm an address and i will pick it up off you and give you my thoughts:)

mik_rik
13-01-2015, 21:56
pm sent

Marco
13-01-2015, 23:17
Hi Rich,

Marco, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing the techie which was evident in the number of requests I made with the various LPs I'd brought.

It was a treat to hear some of Beck's moving 'Morning Phase' album on your deck. It was an album from last year which connected with me at an emotional level. I won't say why here. Suffice to say your techie delivered the emotion brilliantly and the track we chose gave me goosebumps.

Modded techies aren't normally my thing, especially when they come across as analytical. Yours did all the resolution and kept the soul of the recording too. This where it's at for me.

Cheers, Rich - glad you enjoyed it! :)

The part in bold also represents my preferences and what I insist on the turntable I use delivering. With a quality direct-drive T/T, achieving the first bit is relatively easy, as playback accuracy/speed stability is what they’re great at, ‘soul and emotion' less so, *unless* judiciously modified, but even then only if exactly the right decisions have been made!

In that respect, one of the most important things to get right is the arm/cartridge combination (you must create sonic synergy, particularly there, but also throughout every part of the turntable), which is why I’ve chosen the Denon DL-S1 (or SPU) for use in conjunction with the Ortofon RS-212D arm, as those items excel at delivering the soul and emotion present in recordings, as well as being technically proficient, which is a key reason for why you heard what you did.

The turntable of mine you listened to on Saturday represents the culmination of about six years worth of experimenting, so it’s not something I’ve arrived at overnight. However, I’m pleased with how it’s come together. The only major thing I’d look at modifying now is perhaps the plinth. I’d like to try fitting something a little more elaborate that involves the use of hardwood and slate, in a kind of ‘sandwich’ effect, but I won’t be embarking on that project for a while.

I’ll also be removing the pitch slide-control and fitting a new custom-made top-plate, simply for aesthetic reasons and to remove the ‘DJ DNA’.

If I were you though I'd be saving up for one of Nick's phono stages. They partnered very well indeed.

Absolutely, and yes Nick’s phono stage was superb, but probably not a million miles off of the sound I enjoy at home with the Croft and the Paul Hynes head amp/PSU. Both combos possess that mellifluous musicality and totally ‘out of the box’ sound, although I’d say that Nick’s phono stage has a little more finesse and filigree detailing.

I think we all agreed that the evening vinyl session kicked digital’s ass, and showed that whilst the latter can be very good, the real magic only happens when the black stuff is spun! ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
13-01-2015, 23:23
I wish I didn't live so far away. I'd like to have gone, but I really hate driving long distances.

Marco
13-01-2015, 23:26

And turntable too, no? If you had substituted the Techy, in that system, for an inferior vinyl ‘front end’, guess what would've happened…? ;)

Each component allowed the other to shine :)

Marco.

Marco
13-01-2015, 23:27
I wish I didn't live so far away. I'd like to have gone, but I really hate driving long distances.

It’d be a bitch of a drive from London, Geoff - even I’d baulk at that!

Marco.

struth
13-01-2015, 23:27
And turntable too, no? If you had substituted the Techy, in that system, for an inferior vinyl ‘front end’, guess what would've happened…? ;)

Marco.

:cool:

Ali Tait
13-01-2015, 23:32

Each component allowed the other to shine :)

Marco.

That's why I agreed they went so well together.. ;)

Marco
13-01-2015, 23:42
0pyA6jAM3_I

Marco.

Ali Tait
14-01-2015, 00:01
:D

Turntable sounded great mate.

Marco
14-01-2015, 00:48
Anyway, it was great meeting AoS members again at this year’s NEBO, particularly those I hadn’t met before, such as S-Man (of Wigwam/pfm, and now AoS fame), Jimbo, Vinyljunky, the chap who used to live in America and worked for television and radio companies, who’s name I unfortunately can’t remember, and those I hadn’t seen for a while, such as Ali (yer still aff yer heid, mate :D), Nick G and Steve (SPS) :)

Highlights?

There were many great sounds, but Steve Shiel's utterly superb (and huge) DIY open-baffles deserve a special mention. I know that he's been building OBs for years, but it’s been a long time since I’ve heard any of his creations, and these latest ones, for me, really hit the spot. You can hear how Steve has learned through experimenting over the years and invested that knowledge into his designs, and as such they have now evolved into something truly special!

Never before have I heard OBs do proper (realistic) bass, with huge gravitas and extension, as well the openness and high-frequency clarity that they usually excel at, which Steve’s latest designs deliver in spades. I was simply mesmerised by what I heard. If only he would use valve amps with 10 or 15W of power, rather than a measly 3 or 4!!

However, I’m sure that at home, in a much smaller room than was used at NEBO, the PX-25s have ample grunt to drive his OBs to sufficiently ‘kicking’ levels, without any clipping…. ;)

I also thought that Rich’s little Rega system done the biz. Those speakers had no right to sound as ‘big’ in such a humungous room, but sound BIG they did, and the system combined to deliver music with huge ‘fun factor’. It just made you want to dig through your favourite CDs and have a party! :gig:

What was clear to me was that the assembled Rega equipment had been very carefully designed and ‘voiced’ to work synergistically as a SYSTEM, which is precisely why it produced an effortlessly musical sound that was FUN to listen to; traits which I also seek in my own system, because if a hi-fi system can't reproduce music in a way that ‘connects’ you with the performance, on some type of emotional level, then for me it’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot….

‘Starterman', Dave’s system, as has previously been mentioned, was also very good indeed, particularly as it was a DIY creation - and quite clearly a well thought out and judiciously built one. I didn’t particularly like the first track that was played (a well-known, I think 50/60s pop song, whose name escapes me), as it made the system sound a little ‘old fashioned’, but with rock music and other material it was very convincing, and produced a sound that was musically believable and enjoyable in equal measure.

I also thought that Ali’s little Alchemist Kraken amp sounded much better than it had any right to, ably demonstrating that REAL progress today has occurred in very few areas of hi-fi. The acoustic music that Ali had recorded from his Sky box, particularly when played through his superb reel-to-reel tape deck, sounded fantastic with Alan’s Ruarks, although sadly not with Ken’s Tannoy HPDs in Cheviot cabs, which I’m sorry sounded seriously tubby, bloated and bloody awful…! :o

Thank goodness his modified Celestion 66s were rather better, lol (!) - and indeed that’s an understatement, as I thought they were fabulous, especially on the end of the ‘evening system’ (where all the recent work he’s been carrying out was allowed to shine), as with the earlier Sugden/Rotel kit they sounded somewhat over-damped in nature, and ’sucked out’ in the presence region, but beautifully detailed, with a nicely tuneful and extended bass.

Ken’s speakers have truly came on leaps and bounds since I heard them at last summer’s NEBO 4. I think that only some work on the midrange is required now, in order for it to produce more projection and presence, so that it gels with and makes the most of their talents at the frequency extremes, but I’m sure he’ll get there! :)

I also enjoyed listening to Jim’s Croft amp, whose phono stage he’d tweaked with some nice NOS valves. It certainly produced a very convincing and enjoyable sound, in conjunction with my PH head amp/PSU, on the end of the Techy, through Alan’s Ruarks. Jim also brought some very good music with him, which showed off the capabilities of the ‘evening system’ nicely, so I thank him for that.

Alan’s overall system was impressive, especially playing the recordings he’d made on tape, through his reel-to-reel machine.

Every time I hear one of those beasts, when they’re set up and partnered properly, I can tell exactly why the are so popular amongst discerning audio enthusiasts and music lovers. There is a ‘rightness’ about their musical presentation that, quite simply, makes digital sound broken. I also loved his Pioneer PLC-590 (as I did the last time I heard it), and playing Hugh Masekela’s ‘Stimela’, resulted in a magically mesmerising listen. That T/T of his has real balls! I’d be proud to own it.

Of course, I’ve already mentioned Nick G's excellent phono stage. It was a truly engaging listen, which although ticking all of the ‘hi-fi boxes’ as present and correct, did it in such a way as to ensure that the music took centre stage and allowed one to ‘disappear’ into the performance. This is undoubtedly a discerning music-lover’s design, par excellence, rather than merely a device with which to revel in hi-fi niceties. It deserves to do very well amongst suitably appreciative and well-heeled circles of enthusiasts, and I wish it every success.

The Paradise phono stage was equally impressive, but in a different way.

It had a harder, beautifully wide-open, more solid and controlled sound (not that Nick’s phono stage was lacking in those areas), but the Paradise drove the music along with an infectious élan and visceral intensity, in true solid-state (dare I say it, almost Naim-like) tradition, but without a hint of opaqueness and sterility, so often delivered by transistor-based phono stages, at all price levels. Here, however, it was the music that was showcased, first and foremost in all it glory, but whilst also majoring on detail retrieval and analysis, making it undoubtedly a favourite amongst those whose sonic proclivities lean towards the musically forensic, as opposed to the mellifluous.

All in all, it was really a great ‘bake-off’, on all levels, from the social gathering aspect, to the superb sounds that the assembled systems produced, so my thanks go again to Steve ‘Progmeister' and all who helped make NEBO 5 happen. Here’s to the next one, folks! :cool:

Marco.

jollyfix
14-01-2015, 09:55
I wish i could have been there, from what i have read, and been told by Ali, and Rich it was a great NEBO. Well done Steve. I would have loved to have heard the Kraken with Steve's speakers.

Starterman
14-01-2015, 11:43
‘Starterman', Dave’s system, as has previously been mentioned, was also very good indeed, particularly as it was a DIY creation - and quite clearly a well thought out and judiciously built one. I didn’t particularly like the first track that was played (a well-known, I think 50/60s pop song, whose name escapes me), as it made the system sound a little ‘old fashioned’, but with rock music and other material it was very convincing, and produced a sound that was musically believable and enjoyable in equal measure.

Marco.

Thanks Marco.
Playing the Puppini Sisters was intended to 'reset' everyone's hearing. It was not easy to follow on from the excellent sounds the Crusaders were making! At least the track was only 2 1/2 mins long :)

TBH I was disappointed by the sound we made, we seemed to have an excess of midbass and overall musicality was well down on how it sounds in the several living rooms we have tried, as well as the Wig show we did 3 years ago. I guess just plonking the system down with no chance to optimise the positioning of the speakers is something of a lottery. I also wondered if the rolled-up extension cable was less than ideal.

This highlights one of the advantages of DIY - it's easy to change components, cables, PSUs etc to achieve whatever flavour you want (within the confines of the overall system capability).

Anyway, all good cleanish fun.

Marco
14-01-2015, 12:18
Hi Dave,

Playing the Puppini Sisters was intended to 'reset' everyone's hearing. It was not easy to follow on from the excellent sounds the Crusaders were making! At least the track was only 2 1/2 mins long :)

Ah, so that’s who it was (I know of them), but I thought the music was older than that. I can see where you’re coming from with the ‘reset hearing’ thing - intriguing idea!

TBH I was disappointed by the sound we made, we seemed to have an excess of midbass and overall musicality was well down on how it sounds in the several living rooms we have tried, as well as the Wig show we did 3 years ago. I guess just plonking the system down with no chance to optimise the positioning of the speakers is something of a lottery. I also wondered if the rolled-up extension cable was less than ideal.

Wot, you mean like your ultra ‘high-end’ interconnects! :lol: ;)

I know exactly what you mean though, as I’ve demoed my kit in numerous similar locations. Trust me, it’s even harder with a T/T in the equation…. No doubt that the system sounds much better in a home environment. However, considering the limitations of the hotel room, I thought your system produced some very nice sounds, so keep up the good work! :cool:

Marco.

Starterman
14-01-2015, 12:54
Hi Dave,

Wot, you mean like your ultra ‘high-end’ interconnects! :lol: ;)

Marco.

They were very carefully selected. First you have to find a JVC videorecorder from 1993, then you have to peel back the yellow video lead exactly the right amount to drain the excess microvibrational energy from the red and white leads - the problem is that you need this length varies depending on the mass of the amplifier you are connecting. Next you need an Akai cassette deck lead from the 70s....
Alternatively you could go to a particular hifi shop in Bristol and spend £60K on resonance control products.

Macca
14-01-2015, 13:15
I think we all agreed that the evening vinyl session kicked digital’s ass, and showed that whilst the latter can be very good, the real magic only happens when the black stuff is spun! ;)

No we didn't all agree since the open baffle system (you recall the one that sounded like an invisible band was in the room) was being run off a DVD player (albeit a quality one).

I'd agree the various Technics-fronted systems sounded awesome, though. To all those people who think it's not worth modding an sL1210 and that you should just 'buy a better deck instead' - I'm sorry but you are so very wrong it's almost funny.

Ali Tait
14-01-2015, 13:23
Yes agree, the TT was very good indeed.

RichB
14-01-2015, 13:24
No we didn't all agree since the open baffle system (you recall the one that sounded like an invisible band was in the room) was being run off a DVD player (albeit a quality one).

I'd agree the various Technics-fronted systems sounded awesome, though. To all those people who think it's not worth modding an sL1210 and that you should just 'buy a better deck instead' - I'm sorry but you are so very wrong it's almost funny.

Funny that, as it happens my totally stock SL1210 (with a knackered tonearm) magically appeared out of its cupboard yesterday and now sits in the corner of the room daring me to do something to it!:lol:

Macca
14-01-2015, 15:29
Tone arm upgrade sounds like a start ;)