PDA

View Full Version : What Hi-End Cartridge Have You Used On A Jelco SA 750 L Tone Arm

topdogya
19-10-2014, 20:43
Hi All, I am wondering if any of you guys out there have tried using a good Hi end MC cartridge on a Jelco SA 750 L tone arm.

I will shortly be having a Jelco SA 750 L Tone Arm to use with my Garrard 401 and I am not sure what way to go with a Hi-end MC cartridge, I was looking at the Ortofon Quintet Black but I have been told by 2 different dealers that I should save a little more and go for the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or the Cadenza Black.

Any input on this would be most helpful as at this time, I don’t know which way to go

Kind Regards
Steve.

struth
19-10-2014, 21:27
Boron cantilever and shibata nude tip...whats not to like.... the bronze is twice the price, and wont be twice as good... I'd go for the Q Black and save yourself 600 quid. Its a damned good cart.

RobbieGong
19-10-2014, 21:32
Boron cantilever and shibata nude tip...whats not to like.... the bronze is twice the price, and wont be twice as good... I'd go for the Q Black and save yourself 600 quid. Its a damned good cart.

+1

Clive197
19-10-2014, 22:35
+2 Unless of course if you did want to splash out on the Cadenza Black. I did and don't regret it.

Andrei
19-10-2014, 23:04
Steve
There are plenty of members here that can give you good advice on this subject. I am not one of them unfortunately.
However, to get more and better advice you could be a little more specific. In particular you could mention your phono stage. (This is why it is a good idea to add a signature).
For what it is worth the Benz Wood reproduces timbres accurately on my Jelco 750D.

Wakefield Turntables
20-10-2014, 08:19
The Cadenza black is the best cart I've EVER owned. I'll be sending the current cart on my 1210 when its knackered to Ortofon for a complete rebuild. £900 I think which is a lot of money but it outperforms carts costing far more so it should work out cheaper than buying a new "high-end" cart.

RobbieGong
20-10-2014, 12:23
The Cadenza black is the best cart I've EVER owned. I'll be sending the current cart on my 1210 when its knackered to Ortofon for a complete rebuild. £900 I think which is a lot of money but it outperforms carts costing far more so it should work out cheaper than buying a new "high-end" cart.

I dont doubt it for a minute. I'd have one without hesitation if funds permitted. Something magical happens with Ortofon Shibata clad cartridges, ( Ortofon Jubilee, 2M Black, Quintet Black, Cadenza Black) :)

Tarzan
20-10-2014, 18:40
I dont doubt it for a minute. I'd have one without hesitation if funds permitted. Something magical happens with Ortofon Shibata clad cartridges, ( Ortofon Jubilee, 2M Black, Quintet Black, Cadenza Black) :)

Have you used all these cartridges Robert?:)

RobbieGong
20-10-2014, 19:11
Have you used all these cartridges Robert?:)

:lol: Clever clogs. Not easy to have done that as you well know. No, I've had a few Ortofons but the 2M Black was a real eye opener and a cart I could most certainly live with forever if I had to. As a result of it I've gained a big interest and curiosity in the other Shibata clad Ortofons. The fact the rest are dearer and supposedly better by virtue of being mc's has drawn me to untold reviews customer and hifi mag alike. ALL have been described as excellent almost everytime - Smooth, extremely detailed, dynamic, neutral, tonally spot on etc etc just like the 2M Black. It's clear from the numerous reviews that you get more of the same as you go up as well as more transparency etc. I've never had an mc so it will be the Quintet B or Cadenza B when I do as I've an idea what I'll be getting and doubt I'd be disappointed. Is that ok or do I still have to go out and listen to the lot ? ;) :)

worrasf
20-10-2014, 20:55
Have tried a few - currently using a Zyx R100 with a Dynavector SUP-200 SUT - beautifuly musical.

However, good as it is (and it's really good) I keep going back to my Decca Blue/Deccapod. I've finally found a perfect partner headshell with the Thomas Schick graphite (http://calamightysound.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/thomas-schick-graphite-headshell-is.html) - so just a plea not to dismiss the Deccas. The Decca is just so "immediate" - no colouration and with the Deccapod it has more finesse than the standard plastic mount even with added headshell mass.

As I posted elsewhere on AoS substituting the Isokinetic SM counterweight for the stock Jelco item really pays dividends in tracking and improved dynamics.

Steve

Tarzan
20-10-2014, 21:01
Giving serious consideration to the 2M Black Robert.

RobbieGong
21-10-2014, 12:23
Giving serious consideration to the 2M Black Robert.

Hi Andy, I've never heard a 103 but again read plenty about it. It's been called a giant killer and so has the 2M Black. They'll be different but it's gonna be about what that difference means to your ears. I dont want to over big up the Black, but I will say it is definately a great cart IMO and IME, not forgetting I'm most certainly not alone in thinking that. There are others here who love it and they might want to add their view. What would be great is the experience of someone who's had / heard both :)

gx502
23-10-2014, 07:25
Presently using a Ortofon Kontra B on Jelco 750D, dunno if that qualifies as a high end cart.
But I am very happy with it, however upgrading from the stock Jelco headshell is a must IMHO

topdogya
23-10-2014, 10:02
Hi Rav,

What headshell did you upgrade to with your Jelco 750D, does it make a big difrence?.

337alant
23-10-2014, 10:43
I have an ortofon contrapunkt b on a jelco 750 L on a Garrard 401
the ortofon cart was a revelation to me from the many other cart Ihave had befor
It sound best in the ortofon LH 6000 headshell to me
I would love a cadenza black maybe one day
I also use the same cart on my pioneer Plc 590 in a SME 3009 ii with the ortofon headshell it sounds excellent

Alan

gx502
23-10-2014, 21:55
Hi Rav,

What headshell did you upgrade to with your Jelco 750D, does it make a big difrence?.
I am using the Ortofon LH6000 headshell, compared to the stock headshell the sound is much more composed and "together" especially during loud passages of music. In comparison the sound from the stock headshell has that brittle breaking glass kind of feel. So IMHO it is a significant difference.