PDA

View Full Version : speakef recomendations

diviy
19-10-2014, 15:14
As I have blown my KEF Q15 system is a Arcam A 65 running as a pre and two Arcam Alpha 8p running as mono block
as I stated in my amp set up post I do like it loud
The speaker have to be fron t ported as they are fireing down a roo that s 26 ft long and 14 ft wide with the settee my listimg post set about 10ft in front of the speakers .
I dont have a endless supply of money soo prob be looking for a second hand set ,
so any recomendations I do not care if they are or book shelf speakers .
most of my music is rock,punk, indie, prog you get the idea .

cheers Gerry

my budget is up to about £350.00

DSJR
19-10-2014, 15:26
The bigger KEF Q series should do you fine, especially the '7' models with race-track bass units. These are smooth, low colouration, go very much louder than the 15's ever could and unlike the 5/55 model in between, they don't boom or sound thick toned lower down. I'm not a fan of B&W's 600 floor-standers myself, finding the bass woolly and the treble spitty...

Sometimes, bigger speakers sound better positioned on the long wall and firing across the room, if that could ever be considered. Just a thought once you've got fixed up.

Earlier KEF's might be worth a try too. Some of the floor standing Reference models are coming into your budget now (104/2's) and there was a very cheap pair of Calinda's going here if you could travel to get them.

A couple of others off the top of my head. Rega Jura's could boogie well, especially the earlier model and they LOVED bi-amping (I used two 8P's in stereo mode with huge success with Juras I remember) and the rare Naos model is superb in almost all respects.

I haven't mentioned really old speakers as, although you can get larger vintage models, spares aren't readily available now and it would be a great shame if a vintage speaker in good conditioned was destroyed accidentally with little hope of a repair.

struth
19-10-2014, 15:31
The Kef q300's would probably do the job....nice standmounts these.

Macca
19-10-2014, 16:30
Big room and good proportions. You could easy run some very big speakers in there with no problems, front ports, back ports or no ports. Not sure I would go for KEFs though, I'd favour something that will play a bit to the music you like. A good size three way with paper cones.

I heard these Wharfedales in a dealers back when they were a current model. Not the last word in refinement but they do a big, effortless sound and will soak up the power:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Valdus-500-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/251679953978?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3a994b543a