PDA

View Full Version : Funk Firm LSD

carruthersesq
18-10-2014, 22:51
I'm in discussion with a dealer to buy an LSD (ex demo, less that 5hrs on it) at approx half price of a new one. The review are all very positive but searching on here and other forums there are lots of comments regarding quality issues.

Any one have experience resolving issues encountered? Have you gone through the dealer or straight to Arthur? How were they resolved?

Oldpinkman
24-10-2014, 16:40
Apologies - only just picked this one up after a search looking at Darren's FX1200'd Technics.

Half price would be £700 or £800. I am rather taking it for granted that you listened to it and liked it. In which case I would bite his arm off. I presume you listened with the Achromat upgrade. The felt mat is just a sales stunt really. It keeps the price down, on the basis everyone getting the Achromat upgrade demo will upgrade. And it was also meant for "head to head" comparison with the Rega decks (glass platter, felt mat) to prove it wasn't the Achromat that makes the deck sound so much better than the Rega.

Quality has undoubtedly been an issue at Funk and Pink Triangle at times in the past. I really think Arthur has got the message now. His new Welsh rep has been getting the quality message driven home (with heavy Welsh accent, "Arthur , we're not making tonearms and turntables. We're making parachutes and condoms. They can NEVER fail." 100% reliable first time out of the box). Athur has been building stock at the factory, so he can supply from stock instead of rushing orders out. Like I say - we have had our ding-dongs about this in the past, but I really do believe he's got the message.

Issues with the early LSD's (launched too hurriedly) were lid fit, motor speed stability and F5 finish and cueing device failure. All are history now, and properly fixed. I am not sure what the warranty position is with ex-dem items, but you have sale of goods protection. Look at the thing. If the lid shuts and the arm cues, and its not got poor anodising finish, then get the dealer to confirm he has carried out a speed test (or knows it is one of the later models with the problem fixed). Put a strobe disk on it, run it at 33, leave it overnight, and check for drift in the morning. If it hasn't drifted, chances are it's fixed.

If you get an issue, as an AOS buyer, I will extend to you the offer I extended to Cagey, and you can get me to beat Arthur round the head to fix it. But chances are it won't need it. The speed issues were found on an early batch to the States, and long since fixed.

Hope that helps :)

carruthersesq
25-10-2014, 20:26
Thanks very much Richard, very helpful.