PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Rega RB303 tonearm, advice/help required please

Eagle owl
18-10-2014, 12:48
I've this week bought a Michell Gyro SE from hifi dave and am currently fitting the Rega RB303 arm to the arm board.

In the packet of screws which came with the arm there's 5 black 12mm screws, 2 silver coloured screws with nuts which I assume are for cartridge mounting and a small, black plastic thing which looks like a bridge with 2 holes for screws.

There's 3 screw holes to secure the arm to the board, I'm assuming I use 3 of the black screws for this and the other 2 are just spares, could somebody please confirm before I proceed as I don't want to make a cock up.

Apologies for having to seek advice, I've never fitted a tonearm before in my life.

Clive197
18-10-2014, 13:36
You're correct, you need 3 x 12mm black screws to fit arm to deck. The silver screws with nuts are for cartridge mounting.

Eagle owl
18-10-2014, 13:59
You're correct, you need 3 x 12mm black screws to fit arm to deck. The silver screws with nuts are for cartridge mounting.

Thank you Clive, do the screws need to be screwed right in ? I've attempted all three but they've only gone in so far and will require extra effort to screw then all the way in.

Clive197
18-10-2014, 14:51
You've got me there. Have you got the VTA spacers in?

Eagle owl
18-10-2014, 15:06
The spacers are in situ so that the arm adaptor plate (armboard) is fixed to them leaving a gap between the bottom of the armboard and the aluminium chassis.. I'm now trying to secure the arm to the armboard using the three 12mm black screws, I've almost screwed them all the way in but it's not easy.

struth
18-10-2014, 15:14
Might be the other way round. Spacers on top

Eagle owl
18-10-2014, 15:28
Might be the other way round. Spacers on top

Hi Grant, I'm sure I've got the spacers in the right place, have a look at the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWCOjKZkL0 there's a gap between the aluminium chassis and the bottom of the metal armboard which I have on mine.

struth
18-10-2014, 15:44
I see, different spacer to what I was thinking... The screws on that one go right down so guess they will just be tight. If thats the screws that came with it. other thing would be to use a slightly shorter screw if it feels secure enough.

hifi_dave
23-10-2014, 13:21
Sorry I missed this but I've been away for a few days.

The screws supplied with the arm are 5 x wood screws - 3 to fix the arm and 2 x for the bridge thingy, which is a cable clamp. None of these are what you need to fit to the Gyro. For this, you need 3 x bolts for the tapped holes in the Ali armboard. Michell supply a cable clamp in the packaging for the Gyro. If you still require the 3 x bolts, I will get them to you.

BTW in that video, around 1.20 one of the chassis suspension washers is very wonky indeed and not what you need for a good bounce.

Eagle owl
23-10-2014, 19:06
Sorry I missed this but I've been away for a few days.

The screws supplied with the arm are 5 x wood screws - 3 to fix the arm and 2 x for the bridge thingy, which is a cable clamp. None of these are what you need to fit to the Gyro. For this, you need 3 x bolts for the tapped holes in the Ali armboard. Michell supply a cable clamp in the packaging for the Gyro. If you still require the 3 x bolts, I will get them to you.

BTW in that video, around 1.20 one of the chassis suspension washers is very wonky indeed and not what you need for a good bounce.

Thank you David, I'll give you a ring tomorrow.