PDA

View Full Version : How about a sub-forum for member- generated reviews?

windhoek
16-10-2014, 07:24
As above, could we have a sub-forum to collate reviews of hifi products written by members for members? I don't know whether trade members should be prohibited from penning reviews for this section, but certainly for the rest of us with no affiliation to retailers and manufacturers, lets get the literary juices flowing! I've got one ready to go for HD800s (with pics), but will hold back in case we can indeed have a sub-forum. If not, I'll just post it in Analogue Art or Blank Canvas. :)

The Grand Wazoo
16-10-2014, 07:33
Strokes of Genius (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-Strokes-of-Genius)
Tell us of any fantastic tweaks, free or otherwise, which have transformed your system. Also post reviews of equipment and ancillaries.

Marco
16-10-2014, 07:48
Hi Derek,

As Chris has just posted, see the Strokes of Genius area, which is precisely for your needs :)

Marco.

walpurgis
16-10-2014, 09:29
Owner reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Everybody tends to think their latest gizmo is the best thing since sliced bread and the case is usually that although an item may be an improvement on what has been used previously, the limited experience of other comparable equipment may incline the reviewer to unwarranted over enthusiasm. It's all subjective innit!

windhoek
16-10-2014, 09:32
Strokes of Genius (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-Strokes-of-Genius)
Tell us of any fantastic tweaks, free or otherwise, which have transformed your system. Also post reviews of equipment and ancillaries.

I was browsing on my very slow netbook earlier so obviously failed to see that bit, Doh! :doh:

Marco
16-10-2014, 10:08
Owner reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt. Everybody tends to think their latest gizmo is the best thing since sliced bread and the case is usually that although an item may be an improvement on what has been used previously, the limited experience of other comparable equipment may incline the reviewer to unwarranted over enthusiasm. It's all subjective innit!

Yup, defo. That aside, we always like to know what folks think, and so encourage reviews like that whenever possible :)

Marco.

AlanS
16-10-2014, 12:02

Thank you.
I am not a very diplomatic person (too much unproductive talk for me) but you have expressed my unfound diplomatic thinking on that thread. BTW I own HD800s too so immediately compare others thoughts to my own experience

Stratmangler
16-10-2014, 16:30
Owner reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt

I don't pay too much attention to the ones in the HiFi press either ;)

windhoek
16-10-2014, 18:08
I like end-user reviews because the good ones can sometimes reveal things (for better and worse) that don't appear in product brochures and industry related reviews. They can also give readers an idea of what the item being reviews might do for them in their situation through real-life pics and/ or a good narrative. They also point towards patterns if there are enough of them, which is important because the truth (i.e. the mean truth) tends to lie somewhere in between the extremes of 'love it' and 'loathe it' and patterns are where the balanced view can be found.

Mr Kipling
16-10-2014, 18:47
Can't we have a sub-forum for members who sport smoking jackets and purple cravats?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/17/nebemy3y.jpg
I think we should.

Andrei
16-10-2014, 19:24
Can't we have a sub-forum for members who sport smoking jackets and purple cravats?

I think there is already a Beatles sub-forum somewhere for that.

Marco
16-10-2014, 22:02

I think we should.

We could merge it with the existing one for beige cardigans and pink tutus?

Marco.