PDA

View Full Version : Baraka - possibly the best film ever made!

The Vinyl Adventure
01-08-2009, 14:26
I have just supprised my self by realising that i have now made over 300 posts on this site and i havnt yet mentioned my favorite film, i normally go on about it at length to people if the question ever comes up!

its called "baraka" its not a conventional film but i wont babble on about it to much as there is a web site dedicated to it here:
http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/baraka

i belive everyone should watch this film at least once in thier life, it isnt just a film, its an experience! if you have the time to watch it more than once that too is worth while.. you start to notice all these comparisons that the film makes and your never sure if the director intended it that way or if it is just because thats just how the world is!

it has also recently been released on blu-ray and as such is now even more stunning than it used to be!!

my recomendation:
buy the blu-ray
if you dant have a high def tv.. buy one
if you dont have a bluray player .. buy one
if you dont have a bottle of red wine... buy two

turn it up very loud, close the curtains turn the lights off get very comfortable and prepare your self to get your mind blown!!

(if anyone ever saw the advert for sky tv with the monkey falling asleep in steamy water.. thats from baraka)

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
01-08-2009, 15:02
Hi Hamish

A mate told me about Baraka a while ago and forgot about it. His recommendations are usually spot on.

Your post reminded me to check it out.

Have just ordered it. Will let you know what I think about it later.

Andy - SDDW

DanJennings
01-08-2009, 16:20
wasn't Baraka that geezer from Mortal Kombat? ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
01-08-2009, 16:30
american president.... vitimin supliment....

aquapiranha
01-08-2009, 17:43
If you like this you would surely like Koyaanisqatsi

PirH8PADDgQ

The Vinyl Adventure
01-08-2009, 19:39
yeah its pretty good, there are 3 Qatzi films...i have seen the first 2, they are pretty good, they concentrate on single subjects and for that dont feel as compeling to watch and dont leave you with the same sort of "feeling" that baraka leaves you with
its quite hard to explain you just have to watch them to know what i mean

aquapiranha
01-08-2009, 20:21
Like you I have the first two, they are very very good and also I happen to like Philip Glass so even better. I will check it out thanks.

The Vinyl Adventure
01-08-2009, 20:59
the philip glass sound track is definatly a bonus of the qatzi films!
im not sure who did the music for baraka but it is also amazing id even go as far to say its better than the qatzi film sound tracks...
i dont mean to harp on but you really are in for a treat

id love to hear other peoples comments on the film!

Jason P
02-08-2009, 16:20
A friend of mine worked as a music consultant/researcher on Baraka. Most of the soundtrack is by Michael Stearns, but also features Dead Can Dance and others. More info:

Michael Stearns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Stearns)

Baraka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film))

Can't wait for the sequel!!

Jason

The Vinyl Adventure
02-08-2009, 16:46
Can't wait for the sequel!!

Jason

yeah, i really hope its even half as good as baraka!!

Barry
03-08-2009, 00:11
Like you I have the first two, they are very very good and also I happen to like Philip Glass so even better. I will check it out thanks.

Of the three 'quatsi' films, in my estimation the order of enjoyment and emotional power they produce is as follows:

Koyannissqatsi
Powaqqatsi
Naqoyqatsi (I found this very disappointing).