PDA

View Full Version : Cart for vintage jvc qy3f direct drive turntable

vinyljunky
12-10-2014, 17:58
Gave my mate clarke555 my vintage jvc qy3f direct drive turntable as an early Christmas present my god what was I thinking off.Anyhow the cart is past its best he has a budget of up to 100 pounds to replace it any suggestions guys.He likes a warm musical presentation with plenty of detail he listens to a wide variety of music from scientist to Steven Wilson to country joe and the fish etc etc etc:scratch:

walpurgis
12-10-2014, 18:02
How about a Grado Prestige Silver. Grados always sound pleasantly musical and will work well in that arm.

DSJR
12-10-2014, 18:11
Sumiko (Gold?) Pearl?

The Grado Silver 1 may be ok as the cantilever was shortened a bit and the coils were adjusted, but of the original range, only the cheap Black model really got the juices going as the others were just too dull and bland for me. Speaking as one who loves his good old F1+ :)

vinyljunky
13-10-2014, 19:55
Anyone any thoughts on the denon 103r or the ortofon 2m red:scratch:

walpurgis
13-10-2014, 20:08
Anyone any thoughts on the denon 103r or the ortofon 2m red:scratch:

I've had two DL-103Rs. I've used a great many MCs and rate the 103R as a very good cartridge. A big step up in ability compared to the basic 103. More transparent and detailed.

Not tried the 2m Red.

struth
13-10-2014, 20:26
Ortofon Red is very good for the money, and works well with anything. MM as well....I fancy a denon but would probably need a step up too so a bit more of a layout potentially..

vinyljunky
14-10-2014, 19:34
Someone suggested to me a sumiko pearl but not many reviews on these.they are japanese only thing worried about the loading on these carts as I don't know much about the arms on these vintage jvc's.The arm has an audio technika headshell.

walpurgis
14-10-2014, 19:50
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sumiko-pearl-phono-cartridge-review.22241/

PaulStewart
14-10-2014, 20:14
Wow Steven that takes me back, I assume you have a QL-Y3F with the servo controlled arm? If so, when we were working on the development of that range of TTs we were looking at it being used with the JVC MC1 or 2e or the X2 MM. If you want an MM recommendation, back in the day a lot of people used the M95 from Shure as an alteernative to a JVC cart. As for MCs the Supex and Sumikos all worked well.

Quick edit as i just remembered at a HiFi show one year it was demoed by HiFi Answers I think it was with a Dynavector 10X and the then newish Denon 103 and these both worked well. The thing is that the servo controlled arm with work with most things well.

vinyljunky
14-10-2014, 20:53
Paul yes it has the servo controlled arm its a treat to use thanks for the many suggestions.At a later date I may tempt pete into buying a jelco 750a and a rewire kit maybe a Cardis or origin live.:eyebrows: