PDA

View Full Version : Isokinetik SM counterweight for Jelco 750

worrasf
11-10-2014, 11:03
I fitted the Isokinetik Silver Melody counter weight to the Jelco this morning and just had to report to the forum what a successful upgrade to the stock arm this is.

The SM weight is heavier than the standard and so sits much closer to the arm pillar and is also "under slung" so lowering the centre of gravity - both are claimed to improve tracking.

All I can say is in my setup with the Zyx R 100 - H the SQ was immediately improved with better definition and focus and firmer bass.
The improvement in PRaT with RyG's 9 dead alive was striking.

Maybe it is cartridge dependent but I'm very pleased.

I can also report super service from Isokinetik with next day delivery and great comms

http://www.isokinetik.co.uk

Steve
:cool:

Marco
11-10-2014, 11:39
Excellent stuff, Stephen - looks great, and no doubt provides a significant sonic improvement over the stock item! I suspect it’s the same counterweight balance that’s supplied with my Ortofon RS-212D (also made by Jelco):

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/Vs5TtZ.jpg

Are you using a Shuggie collar on your arm, btw? :)

Marco.

Ammonite Audio
11-10-2014, 13:27

Marco.

Yes he is - it's the Mk1 version.

Spectral Morn
11-10-2014, 13:58
Interesting looking item. I suspect if I ever get round to trying out the Ikeda headshell I bought awhile back with the Denon103 I will need a weight like this as otherwise it won't work. Only put off by the thought of having to spend ages setting it up with the Yip Mint protractor, fabulous but lots of hard work.

Regards Neil

worrasf
11-10-2014, 16:52
I suspect it’s the same counterweight balance that’s supplied with my Ortofon RS-212D (also made by Jelco):

Marco.

Yes to both Marco :)

Stratmangler
11-10-2014, 18:42
Thanks for posting about this - I might have to give this a whirl.
The Isokinetic Rega Counterweight certainly improved my tricked up RB250, and I suspect the Jelco version will bring similar improvements in tracking capability of my now resident Jelco 750D.

worrasf
12-10-2014, 16:07
Having had a chance to do a bit more listening today it's quite astonishing how much better the Jelco is with the Isokinetik SM weight - a very worthwhile upgrade IMHO

Stratmangler
13-10-2014, 17:02
Having had a chance to do a bit more listening today it's quite astonishing how much better the Jelco is with the Isokinetik SM weight - a very worthwhile upgrade IMHO

This doesn't surprise me.
I heard similar with my modded up RB250.
The Isokinetik asymmetrical weight on the RB250 yielded finer detailing and tracking ability.
I'd expect the SM weight to do the same kind of thing on the Jelco.

Andrei
28-10-2014, 19:03
Maybe it is cartridge dependent ...

Hope not, I have ordered one. We will see ...

Andrei
31-10-2014, 21:13
The Isokinetik counterweight for my Jelco 750D arrived yesterday ... and the news is good.
It does not come with any instructions, but then again they are not really needed. The first thing I noted was that because of its asymmetric shape it would have to hang vertically. So I checked my TT was horizontal - all good. I then fitted the counterweight using a set square to ensure both sides were vertical. It is a little fiddly to do and a stylus pressure gauge is mandatory, as there is no dial to assist with tracking force. With trial and error - about 20 errors - I got it to 1.75 g.
Sound: I put on a couple of familiar LPs and sure enough the sound was just that tiny bit better. I had replaced the stock headshell with an Oyaide HS-TF, but I would say the counterweight is a slightly better value improvement. IMHO this is a worthwhile upgrade.
Thanks a heap to Steve for alerting us to it.

jusbe
06-01-2015, 20:13
Does anyone know how much this item weighs? :scratch: There's no information on the site that I can see. I'm interested in comparing this with the Jelco counterweights I have.

Marco
06-01-2015, 20:16
Hi,

Before you go any further, mate, you need to do a proper introduction in the Welcome area, telling us a bit about yourself (including proper first name and approximate location), your system and music tastes, as you joined AoS before that procedure was mandatory.

Once done, we’ll see if we can help with your query. Folks, please bear that in mind before replying to ‘jusbe' :)

Marco.

Marco
08-01-2015, 16:15
Justin, are you wanting to be a proper part of our community, or are we just here for your convenience? If it’s the former, then you need to trot along to the Welcome area and make a proper introduction - ta! :)

Marco.

jusbe
16-01-2015, 19:05
Apologies. Been doing other things. Will write an intro now. [Apparently it weighs c. 173g].

Marco
16-01-2015, 19:19
No worries, cheers :thumbsup:

Marco.