PDA

View Full Version : What Speakers in Room 3m x 3.5m

high.spirits
11-10-2014, 10:25
Just re-arranged my room (3m x 3.5 x 2.2m) and can now get some floor standing speakers in there.

Current system is Gyro, Ortofon 2M Black, Arcam A19 (probably to be changed to Roksan Caspian M2, PMC DB1i.

I like wide and deep sound stage and space around instruments/vocals. A big airy sound but not too loud.

I like many types of music from Pink Floyd to female and male vocals to orchestral.

I have listened to the current range of PMC 20.23 etc. speakers and found them too detailed for my liking. Something with more body would be good.

I have looked around to see what I can audition fairly locally but would like to shorten the list before home demo.

Would the following work in my room?

- downward firing ports that I can audition fairly locally, then followed by home audition are:
Spendor A6r
Spendor D7 (a bit expensive)
Proac Studio 148 (new ones just out, supposed to be improved over 140 Mk2)
Proac Response D18

- Tannoy Precision 6.4 (sealed box with bass radiators).

- Dali Rubecon 5 (rear ported)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

walpurgis
11-10-2014, 10:34
My Tannoy Cheviot II speakers work just fine in a room that size.

Puffin
11-10-2014, 10:43
Anything BIG that gives a full sound at moderate volumes. Trust me:D

Haselsh1
11-10-2014, 12:18
I have a similar room and I'm currently using rather modest KEF Q500's which produce a massive stereo image courtesy of their Uni-Q driver which I love. I cannot say that the sound is particularly full or warm but that imaging is stunning and worth every trade off for me. At the moment I know that this imaging is also the result of using monoblock amplifiers as I have experimented with just a stereo version but I am very happy with my sound however I am currently contemplating a Denon DL103 for the Thorens. All I can say is that the speakers cost me 700 quid brand new and they are brilliant in my room and to my ears and those of my partner Sue. I am familiar with your choice of ProAcs but find them ultimately very soft and over warm however I have not heard them in my room only that of a friend. I guess the best advice is to listen at your dealer and then in your own home. Only that way will you know but if you are a typical Hi-Fi nut, I doubt you will ever be truly happy.

high.spirits
11-10-2014, 18:16
Thanks for the feedback Shaun.

It sounds like the Q500's are pretty good at that price point.
How far from the rear wall do you have them?
Are they rear ported?

I have a similar room and I'm currently using rather modest KEF Q500's which produce a massive stereo image courtesy of their Uni-Q driver which I love. I cannot say that the sound is particularly full or warm but that imaging is stunning and worth every trade off for me. At the moment I know that this imaging is also the result of using monoblock amplifiers as I have experimented with just a stereo version but I am very happy with my sound however I am currently contemplating a Denon DL103 for the Thorens. All I can say is that the speakers cost me 700 quid brand new and they are brilliant in my room and to my ears and those of my partner Sue. I am familiar with your choice of ProAcs but find them ultimately very soft and over warm however I have not heard them in my room only that of a friend. I guess the best advice is to listen at your dealer and then in your own home. Only that way will you know but if you are a typical Hi-Fi nut, I doubt you will ever be truly happy.

high.spirits
11-10-2014, 18:30
Hi, All I know about Tannoys is they have lots of bass. Is the bass controlled ok in that size room (do you like lots of bass)?

My Tannoy Cheviot II speakers work just fine in a room that size.

walpurgis
11-10-2014, 18:37
Hi, All I know about Tannoys is they have lots of bass. Is the bass controlled ok in that size room (do you like lots of bass)?

The bass is there no doubt and well controlled, but to me it's the least important bit. The midrange depth and lucidity and pinpoint imaging are what I like.

Anytime you're in London give me a shout and come and have a listen.

high.spirits
11-10-2014, 18:59
Thanks Geoff

Haselsh1
12-10-2014, 09:03
Thanks for the feedback Shaun.

It sounds like the Q500's are pretty good at that price point.
How far from the rear wall do you have them?
Are they rear ported?

The KEF's are floorstanding sealed box enclosures with two ABR's. The bass is just about correct for my room whereas I understand that the larger speakers in the range have a considerably overblown bass but for me it just has to be that Uni-Q driver. It produces a stereo image that goes way wider than the cabinets. On my electronica based music which is of course very synthetic, the stereo effect is just massive. I have the speakers at the opening to a huge bay window so they are about two feet from the back wall but it is a very low wall.

high.spirits
12-10-2014, 10:34
Thanks for the information Shaun.
Very helpful.

The KEF's are floorstanding sealed box enclosures with two ABR's. The bass is just about correct for my room whereas I understand that the larger speakers in the range have a considerably overblown bass but for me it just has to be that Uni-Q driver. It produces a stereo image that goes way wider than the cabinets. On my electronica based music which is of course very synthetic, the stereo effect is just massive. I have the speakers at the opening to a huge bay window so they are about two feet from the back wall but it is a very low wall.

hifinutt
14-10-2014, 16:33
martin logan electromotion or ethos will give a magnificent BIG sound and fit in there

Gazjam
14-10-2014, 17:22
The bass is there no doubt and well controlled, but to me it's the least important bit. The midrange depth and lucidity and pinpoint imaging are what I like.

Anytime you're in London give me a shout and come and have a listen.

As sub bass isn't a priority can I suggest the Rega RS3 or RS5?
Fantastic speakers, had a set of RS3's and they are a great choice for a smaller room.

high.spirits
15-10-2014, 15:55
Great speakers, however I thought they need space all around them.

I only have about 20cms space behind the speakers.

cheers

martin logan electromotion or ethos will give a magnificent BIG sound and fit in there

high.spirits
15-10-2014, 15:59
I do like a bit of bass.

The quoted part of your post was from another respondent.
I tried some RS speakers and they just did not do it for me.....

As sub bass isn't a priority can I suggest the Rega RS3 or RS5?
Fantastic speakers, had a set of RS3's and they are a great choice for a smaller room.