PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Holland

Mike_73
10-10-2014, 11:34
I'm a newb, hoping to find some answers on my speaker problem. I don't know were i getting my self into but my fascination of vintage stuff brings me here.

I love to spin vinly on my Thorens 320 and recently bought some old Celestion Ditton 33 speakers. After a few weeks of listening with differend kind of music and some good comparison i concluded that the sounds was a bit dim. A friend of mine told me about the crossover problem of vintage speakers and that they wear out over the years. Well, i would love to give them a second life and listen too there full potential. I'm handy but unfortunatly this is way out of my league.

So, i hope to find some anwsers here and who knows it will launch a new hobby.

Mike

Barry
10-10-2014, 17:22
Welcome to AoS Mike,

We have many Celestion fans here. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to welcome you and offer you some advice.

What are you tastes in music, and what are you driving the Celestions with?

Enjoy the Forum

walpurgis
10-10-2014, 17:26
Hello Mike. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what your full system is, you didn't mention your amplifier or cartridge.

What music do you listen to?

I'd not expect your Ditton 33 speakers to sound dull, they're reasonably lively sounding normally. Don't assume that older speakers all need attention. My Tannoys are over 35 years old and have all the original components working fine. Many a decent speaker has been ruined through 'upgrading'! I'd suspect your cartridge may be the first place to look if the sound is dull.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Eagle owl
10-10-2014, 19:03
Hello and welcome Mike.

Geoff. :wave: