PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Mirfield

nickwf14
06-10-2014, 23:11
Hi my name is Nick, and I'm from Mirfield (hence the nickWF14, in case you were wondering....).

I currently have a couple of systems:

1) for AV consisting of Audiolab 8000AP and and 8000X7 with inputs provided by a PS3 (I know, it's not strictly hifi, but it does the job of a multi-media). The lot is hooked up to Mission's FS2 AV surround sound system, which allows me to have the full 7.1.

2) a quad 99 system (tuner, cd player, pre-amp and the 800 power amp), powering a couple of Quad 22L speakers. Interestingly, the Quad website no longer lists these items, obviously having moved to 'higher' end equipment.

Scattered in various other rooms are bits of Sonos equipment, which do the job.

I've been collecting bits of hifi for nearly 30 years, gradually working my way up to the current system(s). My latest project is to explore the Linn route/philosophy. I heard a Linn system - majik/karik/numerik/LK100 powering a couple of kelidhs and the sound was fantastic. Much better than my quad system IMHO, even though the Linn was some 20 years old, so I've started collecting bits of Linn kit.

Musical tastes - pretty middle of the road really. Folk (Dylan plus a lot of the English folk scene - there's a lot of live action in West Yorkshire), folk/rock, rock (Springsteen to Pink Floyd via pretty much anything from the 1960's), country (Mary Chapin Carpenter et al). We do play a fair bit of classical and bits and pieces of opera too.

I enjoy reading about hifi and it's good to find a site with knowledgeable people who are happy to share their wisdom without the rants one can find on other sites.

Any questions, please give me a shout (although I am a technical ignoramus, so no help there!).

Best regards, Nick

walpurgis
07-10-2014, 09:16
Hello Nick. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you're well into your Hi-Fi. Are you planning any changes? We like to hear about what people are doing.

Plenty of Linn users here, so if you want opinions just ask.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Wakefield Turntables
07-10-2014, 09:21
Nick,

welcome, I'm just down the road in Wakefield. I had a full quad setup just like yours and wish I'd kept it:doh: Quad 22l speakers are VERY underrated and you might find that quad and linn work nicely together.

Barry
07-10-2014, 19:45
Welcome to AoS Nick.

Nice introduction, systems and tastes in music.

I haven't heard of the Quad 800 amplifier - do you mean the 909? I would have thought your present Quad system would be more of a match for the Linn system, but I'm not familiar with the Quad 22L speakers.

Anyway good luck with your quest for a complete Linn system.

Enjoy the Forum

Eagle owl
08-10-2014, 06:35
Hello and welcome Nick.

Geoff. :wave:

jollyfix
08-10-2014, 08:09
Hi Nick , welcome to AOS.

nickwf14
08-10-2014, 22:22
Thanks to all for the kind words of welcome.

Barry is of course quite correct - there is no 800 Quad amp. Blame it on a late at night and tired fingers. I have the 909 power amp.

With respect to the quad v Linn. I've had my quad system for some time now, and the Linn system just sounded more airy. Probably the change in listening system had more than a little to do with it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to an A v B comparison when I've got a Linn system set up (thankfully no room constraints at the moment).

My 8000X7 had to go back to Audiolab in Huntingdon for some repairs last year (burned out capacitor apparently). Anyway, as well as being quite expensive to repair, and taking an inordinately long time to return, it came back with a couple of nasty little dents in the casing. So, just be warned!

Best regards,

Nick