PDA

View Full Version : NEEDED - Recommendations for lightweight screened power lead for 301

Wakefield Turntables
06-10-2014, 18:49
I'm in the process of re-jigging the cables in my valve setup and need a suggestion for a lightweight screened power cable to feed into my Garrard 301. It needs to be as light as possible so that it dosent place excessive tension on the motor unit. Thanks.

A

Stratmangler
07-10-2014, 08:40
Mutually exclusive words those two.
Do you want screened or do you want lightweight?

DSJR
07-10-2014, 08:57
You don't really need a screened cable, but if you feel you do, don't worry too much about gauge, as the motor is well suspended, or should be for quietest results, the mains cable is connected to a fixed point on the deck plate IIRC and the sheer mass of the deck/plinth should hopefully negate any possible feedback issues.

What you 'could' try is to find a suitable mains cable and locate some metal woven sheathing, similar to the plastic stuff all the interconnect makers hide their cheap wires with ;). You may not need to connect the sheathing anywhere, as it *should* act as a sort-of Faraday cage I think. Hopefully someone better qualified can confirm/deny.

Ali Tait
07-10-2014, 09:08
The screened cable Mark Grant uses for his figure of eight mains cables is pretty thin.

Wakefield Turntables
07-10-2014, 09:10
Mutually exclusive words those two.
Do you want screened or do you want lightweight?

Both!

You don't really need a screened cable, but if you feel you do, don't worry too much about gauge, as the motor is well suspended, or should be for quietest results, the mains cable is connected to a fixed point on the deck plate IIRC and the sheer mass of the deck/plinth should hopefully negate any possible feedback issues.

What you 'could' try is to find a suitable mains cable and locate some metal woven sheathing, similar to the plastic stuff all the interconnect makers hide their cheap wires with ;). You may not need to connect the sheathing anywhere, as it *should* act as a sort-of Faraday cage I think. Hopefully someone better qualified can confirm/deny.

Dave, thanks as ever. I have a load of mains leads at the back of the rack, they to some extent are all shielded, I do like to dress my cables neatly, I'm a little OCD, in that they all have to be screened and just the right length (yes it's sad). :lol: The cable will ultimately be going into my p10 so that the 301 has a nice clean power supply. I'm getting more and more into valves and have started paying closer attention to my valve system now that I feel I don't want to go any further with the techie and SS kit.

Barry
07-10-2014, 12:18

It is best to earth the metal woven shielding, otherwise the shielding properties will be limited.

Sovereign
20-10-2014, 21:40
The screened cable Mark Grant uses for his figure of eight mains cables is pretty thin.
Yes the Mark Grant DSP 2.5 is great stuff, I may be wrong but he may even do a thinner one as well.