PDA

View Full Version : Fine wine clubs and online sellers

The Black Adder
05-10-2014, 18:37
Helloo all... buuurp! ...oops, scooseme..

Isz anyooone-ere a membrer of ones ofthem flinewine cubsh? Like, you knooow... one-o-dem pizzas tha shell wine... Burrp! ...oops, scooseme..

Ggoodorbad?... good? Burrp! ...oops, scooseme..
:cool:

Marco
05-10-2014, 18:57
Barry’s a big Laithwaites fan/user, Joe, so he’ll be able to chat to you about that :)

Although I’m a massive fan of fine wines, and know a bit about wine, I’m not a fan of wine clubs, as purchases have to be in cases (generally of the same wine), and I prefer having a variety, by hand-selecting the wine I buy in individual bottles from quality wine merchants (and occasionally supermarkets).

It’s rather like buying records… Amazon versus independent record shops - for me there’s no contest! :nono:

I also dislike wine clubs, once you've signed up, constantly pestering you to buy something, and sending you all manner of ‘bumph’ and promotional leaflets through the post :rolleyes:

Tanners, in Shrewsbury, is one of our favourite wine merchants, as they have an amazing selection of truly fabulous wine. 'Corks Out’, in Chester, is another of our favs: http://www.corksout.com/chester Both of them offer a mail order service.

However, driving to France and buying wine either directly from vineyards, independent wine retailers and/or supermarkets, is our favourite way of doing it - and you can obtain some SERIOUS bargains that way! We’ll be doing precisely that very soon. This is our favourite haunt in Calais: http://www.intercaves.fr/decouvrez-le-catalogue-inter-caves-2428.html

It’s where the French people there go to buy quality wine (although at very attractive prices), rather than British tourists looking for 5 litres of ‘plonk’ for £3! ;)

Marco.

SLS
05-10-2014, 19:15
My wife's family is Belgian and my father-in-law, like most like-minded individuals, has been a member of a wine club for decades. The idea is to buy and keep in the cellar, as most people have cellars, or access to one. Is the only sensible way of having ready access to fine wines at the right age at sensible prices (e.g. 8 to 15 years for Bordeaux, etc.).

I have a mate who imports directly from select producers in France and sells to a private client base. That's an option.

These days, I tend to buy new world mines at Majestic - much better value for money and very palatable.

Of course the best option is to go to France and Italy and carry out extensive testing, then fill up the boot.

The Black Adder
05-10-2014, 19:21
Nice one, Marco.

Always good to know where to go. To be honest I don't have time to get anywhere but supermarkets. Saying that, I do find that Waitrose is the best place. The stuff they have in the coop for example is like power steering fluid.

We also always go for the organic range too. This is of choice due to bad tummy aches after drinking the shite with 'added' shelf life ingredients I think... The organic certainly makes me a happy bunny in the morning put it that way and the taste is so smooth.

I'm after some bargains for sure :) If you have any recommendations please let me know. Right now we pay around £10 for a bottle of organic wine (red only with us).

Yep, wine clubs do put me off but I didn't know they were still as vigorous on the marketing/pestering front. Sounds like they are.

Cheese
Joe

Marco
05-10-2014, 19:37
Hi Steven,

My wife's family is Belgian and my father-in-law, like most like-minded individuals, has been a member of a wine club for decades. The idea is to buy and keep in the cellar, as most people have cellars, or access to one. Is the only sensible way of having ready access to fine wines at the right age at sensible prices (e.g. 8 to 15 years for Bordeaux, etc.).

You’re absolutely right. Trouble is, I simply don’t have the willpower or patience to keep it for that long!

2-3 years is about my limit (for quality Bordeaux, and such like) before curiosity gets the better of me, and it’s opened (and carefully decanted) on special occasions, such as at Christmas or a special birthday celebration, and enjoyed with appropriate food to match :)

I have a mate who imports directly from select producers in France and sells to a private client base.

I like the idea, and have employed the use of that method before, but dislike the (often) elitist/snooty nature of the process. I’m not a massive fan of New World wines. I much prefer French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and even Greek wines. One of my favourites is Chateau Musar, from Lebanon.

Of course the best option is to go to France and Italy and carry out extensive testing, then fill up the boot.

Defo - especially when you can tie it in with a nice holiday, too! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
05-10-2014, 19:51
Nice one, Marco.

Always good to know where to go. To be honest I don't have time to get anywhere but supermarkets. Saying that, I do find that Waitrose is the best place. The stuff they have in the coop for example is like power steering fluid.

We also always go for the organic range too. This is of choice due to bad tummy aches after drinking the shite with 'added' shelf life ingredients I think... The organic certainly makes me a happy bunny in the morning put it that way and the taste is so smooth.

I'm after some bargains for sure :) If you have any recommendations please let me know. Right now we pay around £10 for a bottle of organic wine (red only with us).

Yep, wine clubs do put me off but I didn't know they were still as vigorous on the marketing/pestering front. Sounds like they are.

Joe, others will be able to comment with more authority than I about the latter, but when I used to be a member of Laithwaites and The Sunday Times Wine club, back in the early 2000s, the promoting was relentless and extremely off-putting. However, things may have changed.

I didn’t know you enjoyed a nice bottle of red… When you visit, I’ll let you sample some interesting stuff you may not have tasted before ;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
05-10-2014, 20:14
Thanks, Steven...

Sure, Marco... that sounds like a good idea. :) Yeah, we love red wine. It's the only thing I can drink these days.

struth
05-10-2014, 20:17
Alas it doesn't mix well with Whisky, so I don't drink much it now except the odd glass at a special dinner, and the occasional wine night. I like wine but it can be acidy for my delicate stomach :lol: Still have some nice stuff in the cupboard that's been there too long tbh and needs drunk....ALDI often do top wines and I've had a few really nice ones. Italian fruity white is my favourite or a nice Burgundy. I also like a lot of the Aussie stuff and Californian too...

rectorydp
06-10-2014, 16:30
I can also recommend Tanners (http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk). I was a member of a well-known wine club for many years but got fed up with the marketing and the increasing variability of what was supplied. Tanners is a family-run firm that is reasonably local to me. They have many of the advantages of a wine club: pre-prepared cases, home delivery and good pricing but without the disadvantages imho. They do send out a regular leaflets but they have never bugged me! Tanners also have an "En Primeur" service if you want to get into some cellar planning!

SLS
06-10-2014, 16:31
Thanks, Steven...

Sure, Marco... that sounds like a good idea. :) Yeah, we love red wine. It's the only thing I can drink these days.

My wine dealer mate is a Scottish alcoholic who drives round in a 20 year old battered Volvo because I think he drinks his profits.

Had plenty of liquid holidays in France and Italy. Notable trips include Corsica and Portugal, the latter at a hotel with a magnificent cellar. They keep all their good stuff for themselves and don't export it, hence its lousy reputation over here.

Best trip has to be in Piedmonte (Mombaruzzo - near Asti, Barbaresco, Barolo, etc. Every vineyard has multiple varieties and a Michelin restaurant, so they'll serve you 4 or 5 different wines and a slap-up meal for a very reasonable price. Much quieter than Tuscany, Dordogne etc.

Barry
07-10-2014, 19:00
Barry’s a big Laithwaites fan/user, Joe, so he’ll be able to chat to you about that

Although I’m a massive fan of fine wines, and know a bit about wine, I’m not a fan of wine clubs, as purchases have to be in cases (generally of the same wine), and I prefer having a variety, by hand-selecting the wine I buy in individual bottles from quality wine merchants (and occasionally supermarkets).

It’s rather like buying records… Amazon versus independent record shops - for me there’s no contest!

I also dislike wine clubs, once you've signed up, constantly pestering you to buy something, and sending you all manner of ‘bumph’ and promotional leaflets through the post

Tanners, in Shrewsbury, is one of our favourite wine merchants, as they have an amazing selection of truly fabulous wine. 'Corks Out’, in Chester, is another of our favs: http://www.corksout.com/chester Both of them offer a mail order service.

However, driving to France and buying wine either directly from vineyards, independent wine retailers and/or supermarkets, is our favourite way of doing it - and you can obtain some SERIOUS bargains that way! We’ll be doing precisely that very soon. This is our favourite haunt in Calais: http://www.intercaves.fr/decouvrez-l...aves-2428.html

It’s where the French people there go to buy quality wine (although at very attractive prices), rather than British tourists looking for 5 litres of ‘plonk’ for £3!

True, I am a member of The Sunday Times Wine Club (The Claret Club subsection), which is provided by Laithwaites. I joined about five years because as I wanted to learn about and enjoy Bordeaux wines, though I also enjoy Rhône and wines from the Loire.

At the time we used to have a branch of Unwins in the village and there was an Oddbins in town, but both have now disappeared: Unwins went bust and Oddbins moved away. So that only leaves the supermarkets whose wines I do look at, but am also happy to be presented every three month of so with half a dozen mixed bottles of claret, courtesy of Laithwaites.

It might seem to be unadventurous – to be spoon fed, but in the absence of any decent vintner locally, I am quite happy to rely on the ‘good taste’ of Laithwaites’ buyers. I have never had a bad bottle and some have been so good that I have bought a case or two as a result. The great majority of the wines I have bought have been medal winners.

Admittedly your are often ‘blitzed’ with newsletters and promotional e-mails, but there is no obligation to buy any. I look at the newsletters and then throw them away. When my wine stock builds up and I find I have 80 – 100 bottles kicking around the house, I will simply phone up the wine club and ask them to cancel the next quarterly sample case.

So Laithwaites do serve me well. Of course I pay for the privilege, but I have always been prepared to pay for expediency. Few of the wines are expensive: they usually pan out at about £12 to £20 a bottle.

I do look in the supermarkets and do find the occasional bargain: Château le Boscq from the Co-op at ~ £8, Le Petit Echoppe from M&S for £12, and Ogio Pinot Grigot from Tesco for £6. And Aldi often has some “stonkers” on offer from time to time.

Today I picked up a couple of bottles of the Ogio Pinot Grigot and a bottle of 2009 Château Margerots (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?506-Wine-and-Real-Ale-Recommendations/page104) for £7.50 from Tesco. Passing through M&S I noted they had a rather good Amaroné for £25 and Barolo for £18.

I’m happy to ‘mix and match’.