PDA

View Full Version : SME 3012 headshell collet - tightening?

jaym481
02-10-2014, 20:47
I have a 3012 that was rewired by J7 a couple of years ago. in the process he IDed the original collet as having some issues, so replaced it with a new one. It's now come loose, as in I can skew the azimuth simply by lifting it with the fingerlift if I'm not very careful. I've tried tightening the screw, but it seems to be fully engaged, and won't tighten any further.

I was thinking, rather than send it back to J7 for further fettling, could I just remove the screw, extract it a bit and wrap the collet shaft with a turn of teflon plumber's tape and replace? Or is there a better solution I could DIY without the hassle of either rewire (again) or having to send it off for a little while?

DSJR
02-10-2014, 21:11
Add a tiny washer under the screw head?

Be careful, as I fear SME may no longer have replacement parts and a used replacement may be the only option. Johnnie should be able to sort without re-wiring the thing, but it just depends on the state of what's there methinks :)

337alant
02-10-2014, 21:37
There are still service parts available for these arms
http://www.sme.ltd.uk/content/Spare-parts--Accessories-1310.shtml
This may also help
http://www.theanalogdept.com/sme_service.htm

Alan

jaym481
03-10-2014, 10:11
I was hoping something could be done without resorting to new parts or sending it off for repair. I'm just wondering how it came to be so loose. How does the screw work for tightening? Is it pressing on something inside to expand the collet?

DSJR
03-10-2014, 12:56
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the screw just locates the socket fore and aft and runs in the slot. Friction may have been provided by a springy piece 'around' the rear of the socket. A quick call to SME should solve it I'm sure. Apologies, although I have an intact 3009 Improved with non-detachable shell, I really don't feel like butchering it to find out ;)

hifi_dave
03-10-2014, 15:47
The screw holds the socket in place, to prevent it being pulled out, pushed in or rotated too far.

Not sure what gives friction to the headshell but they are usually too loose for comfort as far as I am concerned.

jaym481
03-10-2014, 16:11
So it's probably a friction fit. I reckon I'll try the plumber's tape then. Worst case I break it off and have to send it out for repair anyway.

Johnnie7
06-10-2014, 20:50
hi M8

i can't remember the exact job...but if i had to replace the headshell connector with a brand new SME unit...then there may be some differences with the new headshell adaptor and the interference fit in the arm tube

the headshell adaptors are a snug fit in the arm tube and matched in the factory...the brand new replacement sme adaptors are made for the new M2 arm ...but are identical to newer sme3009 arms (but the newer adaptors springs are much stiffer than older ones and make a much better contact ..so is a massive upgrade !!)
the older sme 3009 had various tiny differences in thickness of arm tubes and batches sort of thing...the operators would match each armtube and adaptor to give the perfect tightness

it can wear or become more loose with usage ...but thankfully is adjustable

the screw in the bottom of the headshell adaptor/arm tube is only in there to stop u pulling the headshell and wire out....and does NOT lock the tube

if you send it back to me ...ill remove the adaptor and retention the headshell adaptor tighter (there is a small tension plate that can be bent a little more in the bottom of the adaptor-------- obviously free as a warranty job and done same day for speed)

if you want to do it yourself the short term and easy options are :

to make your headshell tighter the previous mentioned great idea of a small washer (like a plastic headshell screw washer) is very good

or u could remove the screw- pull out the the headshell adaptor carefully and brush on a small amount of womens nail varnish to the top of the inside part of the adaptor and let dry for 10 mins before pushing in again and refitting screw

but would be better let me sort it out...just give me a email m8

bw
j7

hope that helps

jaym481
06-10-2014, 21:27
Thanks J7. A bit late for me now, but I'll drop you an email tomorrow to discuss.