PDA

View Full Version : Pink Triangle Pip II with dual mono Battery PSU

monsters4r
01-10-2014, 10:21
For sale my Pip II. I have owned this from new! I have the original box and instructions for the Pip II It was upgraded by Pink to run from the Da Cappo battery supply. Any questions let me know :)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/asset.php?fid=12763&uid=10934&d=1412158628

Oldpinkman
01-10-2014, 10:32
Wow. Never fails to amaze me how many bits of PT show up I didn't know about. The Pip 2's had an issue with the charging circuit on the standard 3 box configuration, and J Westlake as engineer of the day was tasked with fixing them. But I never realised he rigged a DaCapo DC supply to do the job. Obvious really - the amp just needs +18v on one rail and -18v on the other, and a battery supply is a battery supply. But who'd a thought it?

Do you have a moving coil header with that?

CageyH
01-10-2014, 10:35
One question, that might be useful - how much is it?

Spectral Morn
01-10-2014, 10:45
If its been modified to run from a Batt supply are you including that so it can be used or does it work from the mains still?

Regards Neil

monsters4r
01-10-2014, 10:55
Yes it is configured for MC 100 Ohm load with Vishay resistors. I used it with MC3000 MKII , Rohman, and Benz Wood SL all worked great!

monsters4r
01-10-2014, 10:56
Comes complete with the battery pack. It can run in float mode or battery mode. All PIP II used a battery supply on the original PIP was mains only operated.

monsters4r
01-10-2014, 10:58
Open to offers but saw the 3 box version sell on ebay for over 1500 and mine has a power supply with double the capacity of that one?

Oldpinkman
01-10-2014, 11:31
I'm cautious of commenting too much on a sales thread, but to share a little knowledge and dispel some common myths

Although Pip 2 was never sold (to my knowledge) in a mains form - all the boards have the rectifier circuits on them, and both Owen Jones the designer and I use them as "mains" versions with a suitable transformer mounted in the unit in place of the battery control board. It is not a difficult conversion to do.

Pip's rails are +18v -18v and current draw is milliamps. I am not sure what is meant by dual mono, but if you get 6 6v lead acid batteries in series, and take a centre tap - you get +18v 0v -18v. 4 duracell PP3's held together with an elastic band was actually how I powered up the Pip 2 to test the boards when building mine - but you don't get too much playing time from that solution.

This would not have been a standard product. I am almost certain that I recognise it's vendor as having had a close association with Pink Triangle.

It is an awesome amp design and I wouldn't be without mine. There is no service support available.

Oldpinkman
01-10-2014, 11:40
If its been modified to run from a Batt supply are you including that so it can be used or does it work from the mains still?

Regards Neil

The amp should have required no modification. In standard configuration it has a charging board inside, which both receives DC from a suitable battery pack, and switches the charging mode. Pip 2 had its own battery pack and charging circuit in the notorious skirting board cases. When DaCapo was produced John Westlake produced an "upgrade" - called "DC" (same initials - get it?) which did the same job, but in case work which matched the DaCapo case (and without some of the charging errors in the original pack which needed rectification). So its a standard amplifier, with standard control boards, and an alternate non-standard battery pack, using another products casework. But of course, standard and non-standard is all a bit academic on a design which has been out of production for 20 years

Rick E
01-10-2014, 14:36
Looks lovely, but I'm not interested in doing auctions.:rolleyes:

monsters4r
01-10-2014, 17:44
Lets say £1550

Rush2112
05-10-2014, 21:06
I have a Pink Triangle Anniversary SE with SMEV and Koetsu Rosewood Signature and had the Pink 3 box DaCapo 24bit with DC and Cardinal which at the time was awesome ! I heard the Pip and it was great too. Pink were very keen on the advantage of battery power supply's and other than battery life I never had any issues. I did have my DC modified by Mark Hudson of HiQ Sound to mains which was very successful also replacing the quirky computer leads used to connect DaCapo and DC!

Rush2112
05-10-2014, 21:20
At the time I also had the Ortofon 3000 Mk2 feeding a Michell ISO and Hera psu into Audio Research LS7

paskinn
07-10-2014, 20:44
I owned one for several years, Arthur did a complete 'vishay' overhaul for me. As always with Pink, clever, good sounding but a touch on the 'wobbly' side of reliable.
I agree that the seller would do better to suggest a price.

monsters4r
08-10-2014, 09:40
err I have already done this! see post 11 !! £1550

L