PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Half decent CDP - £150 - Got anything folks ?

Idlewithnodrive
29-09-2014, 16:12
I find myself (again) looking for a half decent, reliable CDP please as mine has 'issues'.

Just missed a Sony 337ES that would have been ideal but I got beaten to it.

Anybody got anything of a similar ilk to about £150 ?

At the moment It'd just be nice to be be sure that you'd hear an entire CD when you put one on :(

Thanks chaps.

Accudazed
30-09-2014, 17:52
I find myself (again) looking for a half decent, reliable CDP please as mine has 'issues'.

Just missed a Sony 337ES that would have been ideal but I got beaten to it.

Anybody got anything of a similar ilk to about £150 ?

At the moment It'd just be nice to be be sure that you'd hear an entire CD when you put one on :(

Thanks chaps.

Hi Mike

I do not have a half decent CD for sale but how about this option?

1. Buy a Pioneer 'Stable Platter' CD player such as this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-cd-player-PD-S801-Legato-link-/161434837639?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2596442287
Well built, rugged, excellent player which you use as a transport.

2. Hook it up to a second hand Beresford DAC

This will give you £1k performance for buttons!!

CD players eh, what can we do about the failure of the hifi industry to support these excellent machines? Look elsewhere on this forum to read about my Accuphase DP-500 nightmare.

Happy shopping!

Steve

Ninanina
30-09-2014, 18:26
Mike I would recommend something along the same lines as Steve has..

I would recommend any good Pioneer DVD/CD player, like a Pioneer DV-717 or 737 or higher up the range, these DVD's make excellent transports and then just choose a good DAC to hitch it up to, something like the Beresford or the Rega Dac (which I am using)

The sound is superb....

If you want a pure cd player as your transport then I would recommend an older Marantz cd player from the 80's such as a CD-50 which uses the famous Philips TDA1541A chip.. I own one of these as well but not using it at the moment. Either use it 'as-is' or again hitch it up to a good DAC..

Paul Lange
30-09-2014, 18:46
You could buy a 2nd hand Rega CD player for £150. They seem pretty solid performers and you can opt for a DAC later on. However, the options already posted are good too.

If you are DIY inclined and can find an old Marantz with the old TDA1541 chip you can disable the oversampling. I done this once and felt it made a good improvement, especially on the bass.

Ninanina
30-09-2014, 18:58
Another option would be the Marantz CD 63 MK2 KI Signature cdp.. it HAS to be the Ki Signature version though, as the standard 63 was quite ordinary..

I had one of these. For the money they are superb but I have bettered it since with my original suggestions... however if you just want a really good 'one-box' cd player without using a DAC then the famous 63 KI Signature is very good indeed... but don't pay silly money for one.. I paid £110 for mine and it was in absolutely mint condition and worked perfectly

I have noticed that prices for the 63 KI are rather high at the moment for some reason, but just wait and one will pop up within budget and to be fair for the price there is probably nothing really to touch it

I hope that helps some..

However, like I say, my original suggestion/s would sound much better, in my opinion... :)