PDA

View Full Version : Whats coming on TV soon!

Pages : [1] 2

struth
29-09-2014, 09:08
Thought I'd try this thread for informing each other of programs of interest coming on soon as I for one often forget to check what's coming on till its too late.

I'll start it off with a good wartime propaganda thriller Edge of Darkness(1943) starring Errol Flynn. Its about a Norwegian towns resistance to the Nazis .

12.40 Film 4.

Marco
29-09-2014, 10:59
Is that 12.40 Film 4 am or pm, today, tomorrow or next week? ;)

Not to be missed, if you like zombie horror (count me in): http://www.sky.com/tv/show/the-walking-dead/article/season-five

Marco.

struth
29-09-2014, 11:17
Don't mind zombie if done well, but don't have sky..guess I could use the boys sky go on tablet..that's a thought .I keep forgetting I have that!

As for the film 4 matinee, its in half an hr, so pm today. Guess I should have made that a bit clearer;)

Marco
29-09-2014, 12:13
Don't mind zombie if done well, but don't have sky..guess I could use the boys sky go on tablet..that's a thought .I keep forgetting I have that!

If you can access Sky, Grant, I thoroughly recommend The Walking Dead series. It’s not just gory and gratuitous violence - there’s a good story to it, too! :)

As for the film 4 matinee, its in half an hr, so pm today. Guess I should have made that a bit clearer;)

Ah - noted. I love war films (and also the old westerns).

Marco.

Audio Al
29-09-2014, 13:41
programs of interest coming on soon

Should be a very short list then ;):D

Audio Al
29-09-2014, 13:42
(and also the old westerns).
I keeping with you Yee Haar ways :lol:

Gazjam
29-09-2014, 13:42
Can STRONGLY recommend "The Leftovers" tv series, coming soon on Sky I think?

Best TV I've seen for a long time.
Its HBO so you'd expect ti to be good, and it is.

struth
30-09-2014, 13:24
Raoul Walsh,s Battle Cry(1955) is on film four today at 15.40. Screenplay is by Leon URIs who also Wrote the book, and stars Van Heflin,Aldo Ray, Raymond Massey and James Whitmore.
Got a nomination for the score too!

Young lads turned into Marines but always fail to get any real action , finally they get their wish and are up front at Saipan

Spectral Morn
30-09-2014, 13:58
The Last Ship - Sky One. On Episode Three this week. Enjoyed this so far, American naval vessel searches for a cure to a deadly virus so On the Beach, meets Survivors, meets Crusade

The Strain - Watch. Episode Three this week. Excellent Gothic horror with a twist.

The 100 - E4. Just concluding but last episode part two was fantastic, still showing this week. Second season commissioned for next year so worth watching out for.

Classic Dr Who - Horror Channel. What can one say simply brilliant.

Defiance - Sci Fi Channel. Excellent post apocalyptic, failed alien invasion story.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
30-09-2014, 14:05
Can STRONGLY recommend "The Leftovers" tv series, coming soon on Sky I think?

Best TV I've seen for a long time.
Its HBO so you'd expect ti to be good, and it is.

Don't like it, watched two episodes and I don't think this will fly.

Regards Neil

Marco
30-09-2014, 14:57
Don't like it, watched two episodes and I don't think this will fly.

+1. The first 10 mins, when everyone had disappeared, and watching the survivors reaction to that, was great, but after that things descended into boresville… I hate it when a programme or TV series tries to be too clever or ‘out there' for its own good. The current Dr Who series is also rather like that.

Most often folk just want to ‘relax into’ some non-taxing, enjoyable, down-to-earth entertainment, without having to sift through or decipher the mind games of a TV producer or director trying to ‘out-intellectualise’ the competition, simply just to be ‘trendy’ :rolleyes:

Marco.

synsei
30-09-2014, 15:01
re: The Leftovers. You should stick with it chaps, it really develops later on ;)

Marco
30-09-2014, 15:03
Wake me up then when the action starts… Reminds me rather of F1! :D

Marco.

Zoidburg
30-09-2014, 15:06
Yep very much agree with Marco on this, TWD is great stuff.

If you can access Sky, Grant, I thoroughly recommend The Walking Dead series. It’s not just gory and gratuitous violence - there’s a good story to it, too! :)

Ah - noted. I love war films (and also the old westerns).

Marco.

Marco
30-09-2014, 15:35
Hi Ben,

Yup, it’s fab; probably one of my all-time favourite TV series, along with The Sopranos :)

Marco.

synsei
30-09-2014, 15:49
I did have concerns early on that it was going to turn out to be another 'LOST' (I gave up on that show half way through series two), but having stuck with it I now realise there was a lot of 'setting up' of the plot to take care of. Your choice of course but The Leftovers is set to be a bit of an epic. Quite often I am able to second guess where a plot line is going, so far with TL this has not been the case. Initially I thought it was going to be that old chestnut, alien abduction. This has been done to death with shows such as Taken and The 4400 and so my heart sank a little initially despite the high production values and excellent acting. Now though it would appear that there are religious overtones sneaking into the storyline, and not just through Christopher Ecclestone's character.

The rapture has been mentioned a couple of times by characters and then there is the slightly hazy 'good versus evil' theme which seesaws between various groups and personalities, such as The Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne and Chief Garvey. Kevin Garvey is an intriguing character who gets more intriguing as the series moves on, as does the reverend btw. And then there are Garvey's daughter, Jill, and his Dad, Garvey Snr. I feel that the Chiefs dad is going to be the key to all this btw ;)

Spectral Morn
30-09-2014, 15:57
+1. The first 10 mins, when everyone had disappeared, and watching the survivors reaction to that, was great, but after that things descended into boresville… I hate it when a programme or TV series tries to be too clever or ‘out there' for its own good. The current Dr Who series is also rather like that.

Most often folk just want to ‘relax into’ some non-taxing, enjoyable, down-to-earth entertainment, without having to sift through or decipher the mind games of a TV producer or director trying to ‘out-intellectualise' his or her competitors, in order to be ‘trendy’ :rolleyes:

Marco.

My understanding is this series is about the people left behind and not those who vanished or what happened. Frankly 2% of the worlds population vanishing would be the basis for an interesting show as folks, scientists etc try to figure it out and the military be involved. Even if this was a Biblically Christian show about The Rapture it would also be interesting and a good basis for a series but the premise of this one leaves me thinking soap with one interesting event at the beginning but never any explanation - frustration. The fact those involved in Lost are behind this puts me off big time and the first episode was naff, much more of the vanishings could have been made but nope, a car crashes, a child isn't in its seat any more, and a shopping trolley hits a car - zero money to do that - very poor start.

Sorry I won't be wasting my life watching this.

If it gets better tell me how, hook me, because so far there has been imho no hook, no unique selling point nothing.

Regards Neil

chelsea
30-09-2014, 15:57
http://www.sky.com/tv/show/anarchy-in-manchester

Spectral Morn
30-09-2014, 16:01
I did have concerns early on that it was going to turn out to be another 'LOST' (I gave up on that show half way through series two), but having stuck with it I now realise there was a lot of 'setting up' of the plot to take care of. Your choice of course but The Leftovers is set to be a bit of an epic. Quite often I am able to second guess where a plot line is going, so far with TL this has not been the case. Initially I thought it was going to be that old chestnut, alien abduction. This has been done to death with shows such as Taken and The 4400 and so my heart sank a little initially despite the high production values and excellent acting. Now though it would appear that there are religious overtones sneaking into the storyline, and not just through Christopher Ecclestone's character.

The rapture has been mentioned a couple of times by characters and then there is the slightly hazy 'good versus evil' theme which seesaws between various groups and personalities, such as The Guilty Remnant, Holy Wayne and Chief Garvey. Kevin Garvey is an intriguing character who gets more intriguing as the series moves on, as does the reverend btw. And then there are Garvey's daughter, Jill, and his Dad, Garvey Snr. I feel that the Chiefs dad is going to be the key to all this btw ;)

Using the idea of the Rapture but rewriting Christian theology and understanding to sell some non Christian version alienates me big time.

Regards Neil

Marco
30-09-2014, 16:04
http://www.sky.com/tv/show/anarchy-in-manchester

Nice one, Stu. I’m liking the look of that! :thumbsup:

Marco.

synsei
30-09-2014, 16:09
Using the idea of the Rapture but rewriting Christian theology and understanding to sell some non Christian version alienates me big time.

Regards Neil

Fair enough Neil, I'm going to keep on trucking with it though as I am keen to see where it is taking me ;)

Marco
30-09-2014, 16:09

It all sounds too much like hard word to me. Enjoy it, mate, but I’m with Neil on this one. I’m not into programmes with a ‘slow burn’; I like to be hooked instantly, and for stuff to hold my attention from start to finish, with no boring ‘lulls’ in between.

So for me, it's an epic fail.

Marco.

chelsea
30-09-2014, 16:26
Nice one, Stu. I’m liking the look of that! :thumbsup:

Marco.

Yes,hopefully will be an interesting series.
Do love sky arts,just wish there could be more new stuff on there.
The series London calling was excellent,well worth recording the 4 programmes if you haven't seen it.

Barry
01-10-2014, 00:07
It all sounds too much like hard word to me. Enjoy it, mate, but I’m with Neil on this one. I’m not into programmes with a ‘slow burn’; I like to be hooked instantly, and for stuff to hold my attention from start to finish, with no boring ‘lulls’ in between.

So for me, it's an epic fail.

Marco.

So what did you think about 'Heros'?

Marco
01-10-2014, 07:19
Hi Barry,

Didn’t see it. Was it good? :)

Marco.

Barry
01-10-2014, 10:01
Hi Barry,

Didn’t see it. Was it good? :)

Marco.

Well, I became intrigued by the series from the beginning and quickly became hooked. Found the ending of the first series to be a bit of a "cop-out" - but the writers were paving the way for the second season.

The second series started slowly but I soon lost interest; partly because of the Screen Writers Guild strike, and partly because I became tired of characters being killed off then miraculously coming back to life at a later time. I didn't see it through to the end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_(TV_series)

Macca
01-10-2014, 10:48
Don't forget weekdays on ITV4 and ITV4+1 you've got Magnum P.I. followed by The New Avengers. That be proper telly.

Spectral Morn
01-10-2014, 11:02
So what did you think about 'Heros'?

It reminded me of Marvels New Universe characters, a failed attempt to do superheroes in a normal, real world setting. I liked Heroes but it got killed off before it was finished. It was at times frustrating, and at times a tad too drawn out but overall pretty good.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
01-10-2014, 11:06
I watched the Leftovers last night and Christopher Eccleston's acting and American accent were so bad it really didn't help. There was the hints of a good story in the episode but it left me more annoyed than entertained so I think that's me done with the Leftovers now.

Regards Neil

struth
01-10-2014, 11:07
Don't forget weekdays on ITV4 and ITV4+1 you've got Magnum P.I. followed by The New Avengers. That be proper telly.

Like Tom Selleck. He did a couple of films I like a lot. An Innocent Man and Quigley Down Under. Very underrated actor IMO and yes I like Magnum ...also liked The Rockford Files too

Macca
01-10-2014, 11:38
Rockford Files was my favourite show for years. I was hoping they would start showing them again when Garner died a couple of months back but no joy yet.

Marco
01-10-2014, 15:23
Great programme, although Cannon just ousted it for me :)

Most of the 70s/80s American cop shows were fab - it’s one thing that the Yanks knew how to do well!

Marco.

struth
01-10-2014, 15:51
I remember Frank.....Fat karate chomping PI with a taste for BIG motors....Quite liked that show actually....William Conrad. surprisingly long lived too, think he died in the 90's

Marco
01-10-2014, 17:27
Indeed…. I loved the intro, and the guy’s deep voice announcing “Tonight’s Episode…”, which would always have some sort of cheesy title like ‘Evil’s Dark Breath’, or some such :eyebrows:

MQaNeIecJkE

Ironside, Longstreet, Streets of San Fransisco, Kojak, Hawaii Five-O, Starsky and Hutch, ChiPs, Hart to Hart, McCloud, McMillan and Wife, Petrocelli - loved all that stuff! They all had a unique ‘atmosphere’ about them that’s distinctly lacking in similar programmes today!

Marco.

Spectral Morn
01-10-2014, 17:49
Indeed…. I loved the intro, and the guy’s deep voice announcing “Tonight’s Episode…”, which would always have some sort of cheesy title like ‘Evil’s Dark Breath’, or some such :eyebrows:

MQaNeIecJkE

Ironside, Longstreet, Streets of San Fransisco, Kojak, Hawaii Five-O, Starsky and Hutch, ChiPs, Hart to Hart, McCloud, McMillan and Wife, Petrocelli - loved all that stuff! They all had a unique ‘atmosphere’ about them that’s distinctly lacking in similar programmes today!

Marco.

All great shows.

Regards Neil

chelsea
01-10-2014, 17:57
Always liked the persuaders,randell and hopkirk and columbo.

Marco
01-10-2014, 18:16
Yeah, loved all those, too!

What about the vote for the best 70s Sci-Fi Series ever? My Top 3 would these, in reverse order……

In at Number Three:

pnautWFuEnQ

At Number Two:

SYXEgW_0mns

Joint Number One:

slYW7kkHyI4

…along with this (featuring my fav Doctor of all time):

gsMXHT97Ggw

…when Dr Who *was* Dr Who, and not the bastardised shite it is today!! :rolleyes:

Marco.

struth
02-10-2014, 09:16
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/902c5435788940dcece9fc4c290f4f57.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/02/f03ab6cb469970a5c83bb2b7ac39aa44.jpg

struth
02-10-2014, 10:19
Oh the pain, the pain of it all!
And
Danger! Danger Will Robinson! were 2 of the classic lines in this show. It was first aired in 65 so might be early for some. Dunno if it was repeated, but they made a film of it recently.

Would agree about Tom Baker being best Doctor. Also loved his cameo performance in Blackadder as the crazed urine drinking sea captain

struth
04-10-2014, 10:34
From 18.10 today on film four, 2 good films back to back,.. Opening with big Sean in The Hunt For Red October, which I really like then Tom Hanks in the classic Forrest Gump.
If your not going out you could do worse;)

Marco
05-10-2014, 18:41
This looks as if it might have some potential:

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/stalker/article/stalker-the-tv-show?dcmp=emc-MSW41WEB/SPT/Stalker

:)

Marco.

struth
07-10-2014, 10:13
On film 4 at 13.10 today is ZULU! Michael Caine and Stanley Baker take on the whole Zulu nation and kick ass!

Marco
07-10-2014, 11:54
Indeed (great film), and the Welsh heroes came from Bwlchgwyn, in Wrexham! ;)

Listen out for that fact when it’s mentioned…..

Marco.

Macca
07-10-2014, 12:02
Great film but bears very little resemblance to the historical events it depicts, regrettably. There were only a few Welshmen present, no opera singers, and no rousing rendition of 'Men of Harlech.' The classic scene at the end of the battle in which the British survivors look out from their redoubt, surrounded by heaps of dead Zulus, was copied exactly from a drawing in the Illustrated London News but the drawing was made entirely from imagination.

The prequel, Zulu Dawn, is much closer to real events.

Marco
07-10-2014, 12:08
Great film but bears very little resemblance to the historical events it depicts, regrettably. There were only a few Welshmen present...

Well, yes, but maybe they were indeed from Bwlchgwyn? ;)

The rousing rendition of ‘Men of Harlech’, full of blood-surging emotion and passion, raising hairs up on the back of your neck, is precisely what being proudly Welsh (and a Celt) is all about! :exactly:

Marco [Loves Welsh male-voice choirs].

Macca
07-10-2014, 12:13
That scene is very powerful, it's a poor man who does not get a bit misty-eyed at that point in the film, Welsh or not.

EDIT I think the regiment concerned was based in Hereford hence there were some Welsh troops but it was not a Welsh regiment (despite what they say in the film) and it would be unlikely to have anyone from the Wrexham area.

Marco
07-10-2014, 12:21
Indeed… I’ve been present at Welsh male-voice choirs, numbering 100s, and when that song is sung, or ‘Land of my Fathers’, especially by thousands of Welshman inside a huge stadium, the effect is spectacular and mesmerising in the extreme:

AM4mIlYKG9s

:sheep: :sheep:

Just LISTEN to THAT (talk about ‘fired up’ :eek:) - no wonder they won!! ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
07-10-2014, 12:38
That scene is very powerful, it's a poor man who does not get a bit misty-eyed at that point in the film, Welsh or not.

EDIT I think the regiment concerned was based in Hereford hence there were some Welsh troops but it was not a Welsh regiment (despite what they say in the film) and it would be unlikely to have anyone from the Wrexham area.

Fantastic film and a controversial historical event, there have been many who have belittled it claiming it was bigged up to take the bad taste away from the previous days total rout of the army at Isandlwana, the exact reasons for this still debated. However the mission at Rorke's Drift was held against overwhelming odds and as such was an amazing victory especially as the Zulu's were amazing warriors. 150 held against thousands, possibly as many as 4000

More can be read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rorke's_Drift

Got a book a week or so ago about it and I am looking forward to having a read soon.

Regards Neil

Macca
07-10-2014, 12:48
I think there is no question that it was 'bigged up' to distract attention from the Isandhlwana fiasco which was the worst defeat ever suffered by the British army at the hands of indigenous troops and a huge scandal back in the UK. But the defense of Rorke's Drift certainly was a triumph of organization and discipline.

Spectral Morn
07-10-2014, 13:02
I think there is no question that it was 'bigged up' to distract attention from the Isandhlwana fiasco which was the worst defeat ever suffered by the British army at the hands of indigenous troops and a huge scandal back in the UK. But the defense of Rorke's Drift certainly was a triumph of organization and discipline.

I am with those who feel it stands on its own merits and that each man who won the VC deserved it.

Awarded the Victoria Cross:[49]
Lieutenant John Rouse Merriott Chard, 5th Field Coy, Royal Engineers
Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Corporal William Wilson Allen; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Private Frederick Hitch; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Private Alfred Henry Hook; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Private Robert Jones; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Private William Jones; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Private John Williams; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Surgeon James Henry Reynolds; Army Medical Department
Acting Assistant Commissary James Langley Dalton; Commissariat and Transport Department
Corporal Christian Ferdinand Schiess; 2nd/3rd Natal Native Contingent

and Private Joseph Williams, B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot who would have been awarded it if he had lived.

Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal:[51]
Gunner John Cantwell; N Batt, 5th Brig Royal Horse Artillery (demoted from bombardier wheeler the day before the battle)
Private John William Roy; 1st/24th Foot
Colour Sergeant Frank Edward Bourne; B Coy, 2nd/24th Foot
Second Corporal Francis Attwood; Army Service Corps

All imho very brave men, as were the Zulu warriors too.

Regards Neil

struth
07-10-2014, 13:56
The 24 Regiment of Foot became the South Wales Borderers, but the unit was not in fact called the SWB until two years after the battle, although the regiment had been based at Brecon in South Wales since 1873).

Spectral Morn
07-10-2014, 14:24
The 24 Regiment of Foot became the South Wales Borderers, but the unit was not in fact called the SWB until two years after the battle, although the regiment had been based at Brecon in South Wales since 1873).

A case of Holywood meddling - does my head in why details like this are messed with but it doesn't change the story and Holywood has been very guilty over the years of gross distortions in historical films.

Regards Neil

Mr Kipling
07-10-2014, 15:11
It's not a history forum y'know…

Judge Judy ITV 3, 7pm.

The woman deserves a medal as big as a frying pan for all the idiots she has to contend with.

Spectral Morn
07-10-2014, 15:20
It's not a history forum y'know…

Judge Judy ITV 3, 7pm.

The woman deserves a medal as big as a frying pan for all the idiots she has to contend with.

This is true, but a little educational thread drift relating to the topic is allowed.

Regards Neil

Macca
07-10-2014, 15:35
Yes, what's wrong with a bit of history? Those who forget the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them.....

Judge Judy - it is a great show but I've seen them all before.

Mr Kipling
07-10-2014, 15:39
'twas only joking.

Kojak, ITV 4 right now - BABY!

Used to be quite a fan when it came out. Doesn't seem to stand up as well as Columbo now. I can watch Columbo over and over and still not get tired of it. Not that keen on the later series, to be honest.

Mr Kipling
07-10-2014, 15:45
Philosophy now.

Twice is nice.

struth
08-10-2014, 09:42
Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman star in INDISCREET at 13.30 today on film 4. Made in 1958 by Stanley Donen.
Nice touch by the director, when the censors had a problem with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in a scene in bed together, director Stanley Donen shot an overhead split screen sequence showing both stars side by side in bed, but with a clearly visible "border" between them.

Macca
08-10-2014, 11:35
Tonight at 2100 it's the last episode of The Curse of Oak Island. They have nearly drained the swamp and think they may have found the vault. No doubt it will all be a big anti-climax since these things almost always are but I'm still quite excited...

struth
11-10-2014, 14:19
DiCaprio is on at 17.20 today film 4 in TITANIC. Not my favourite version but no doubting the effects etc. Good acting too.

Macca
11-10-2014, 15:33
'A Night To Remember' is the classic Titanic film. But 'Titanic' is okay, I suppose. It would have been better if the Dicaprio character fell overboard in the first half hour though ;) Have a watch and count how many times he says 'Rose'. About 50 times too many, really gets on my tits after a bit.

struth
13-10-2014, 09:17
Yes I like the Kenneth More version too. Has the atmosphere.

Today at 11am on film four John Wayne takes his young COWBOYS and leads them to manhood as they duff up Bruce Dern. 1972, it seems so far away now but I remember seeing this in the day. Wayne was immense and Dern became a hate figure throughout the world, with death treats etc coming his way. Such is the power of film.

struth
14-10-2014, 11:07
The fighting seabees is coming on film 4 at 16.40 today. Big John Wayne and his love interest the lovely Susan Hayward.

Marco
14-10-2014, 14:26
Well, who watched ‘The Living Dead’ last night, on Fox? As usual it was superb! :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
14-10-2014, 15:02
Well, who watched ‘The Living Dead’ last night, on Fox? As usual it was superb! :)

Marco.

Yes, :eek: way too gruesome. One thing to see Zombies dispatched nastily but people - yuck the slaughter house scene was horrible.

I watched very little of the last season, it was boring and season three was patchy. Season One I enjoyed a lot and Season Two was pretty good but they stayed in the prison way too long.

Regards Neil

Marco
14-10-2014, 15:09
Yup, the slaughter house scene was rather ‘close to the bone’, as it were, but I enjoyed the rest of it. It’ll be interesting to see how it all ends :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
14-10-2014, 15:23
Yup, the slaughter house scene was rather ‘close to the bone’, as it were, but I enjoyed the rest of it. It’ll be interesting to see how it all ends :)

Marco.

Certainly went for the jugular.....

Regards Neil

struth
21-10-2014, 09:02
2 good films on film 4 today. First up at 11.00 am is Alex Guiness in the Malta story and at16.50 Lionel Jefferies in first men in the moon.

struth
23-10-2014, 21:59
Damn the Defiant is coming on Channel 4 tomorrow(Friday) at 11.00 am. Stars Alec Guinness, Dirk Bogart and Anthony Quayle.. Set on an 18th Century warship and directed by the great Lewis Gilbert.

Marco
26-10-2014, 07:23
Has anyone been watching Peaky Blinders? Superbly, rather violent gangster epic, set in 1919 Birmingham, see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/

Lots of folk getting slashed with razors (given nice ‘wide smiles’), lol…. Quality! :eyebrows:

Marco,

Spectral Morn
26-10-2014, 10:47
Damn the Defiant is coming on Channel 4 tomorrow(Friday) at 11.00 am. Stars Alec Guinness, Dirk Bogart and Anthony Quayle.. Set on an 18th Century warship and directed by the great Lewis Gilbert.

Drat I missed that.

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
26-10-2014, 10:47
Has anyone been watching Peaky Blinders? Superbly, rather violent gangster epic, set in 1919 Birmingham, see here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442560/

Lots of folk getting slashed with razors (given nice ‘wide smiles’), lol…. Quality! :eyebrows:

Marco,

Aware of it but not really what I like to watch.

Regards Neil

Roy S
26-10-2014, 21:44
22:00 BBC4 - Foo Fighters: Sonic Highaways - Foo Fighters discover the musical heritage and cultural fabric of eight American cities, recording their eighth studio album along the way (episodes 1 & 2)

struth
01-11-2014, 10:17
Coming very soon is John mills in the long memory on film 4 at 11 am today.. Great atmospheric film this and mills at his best.

struth
01-11-2014, 14:22
Coming on the drama channel shortly are the first 2 episodes of the 1999 Richard e Grant version of the scarlet Pimpernel. It was filmed In Prague as it was as close as they could get to 18th century Paris.

Mr Kipling
01-11-2014, 16:20
Saw a trailer for a Dr Who episode featuring William Hartnell being a start of all the various Drs getting a showing for what I thought was this weekend. I can't seem to find it listed however.

Macca
01-11-2014, 16:25
The Horror channel are showing old DR Who at the moment on weeknights. Could be you saw a trailer for that.

Mr Kipling
01-11-2014, 16:37
I was pretty sure it was the start of a series on the BBC - but I could be wrong.

orbscure
01-11-2014, 16:59
If its what i think your referring to, its on the Drama channel (Sky CH 166) at 1600 on Sunday...

Mr Kipling
01-11-2014, 18:05
Yes! Yes! That's it. Much obliged. Would have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Forgot about the Drama Channel.

It's listed for 16.00 - 18.00 on Freeview Channel 20 and following is a listing An Adventure In Space And Time. Don t know what that is but it finishes 20.00.

synsei
01-11-2014, 18:42
Yes! Yes! That's it. Much obliged. Would have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it. Forgot about the Drama Channel.

It's listed for 16.00 - 18.00 on Freeview Channel 20 and following is a listing An Adventure In Space And Time. Don t know what that is but it finishes 20.00.

An adventure in space and time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Adventure_in_Space_and_Time)

It's a BBC drama about the conception and eventual airing of Doctor Who in the '60's, it is very good actually ;)

Mr Kipling
01-11-2014, 19:45
Ah… yes. I did watch it when it was first shown.

Bit of an aside. Never knew Ron Grainer who did the theme with Delia Derbyshire and a number of other classic themes from the 60s was Australian.

struth
03-11-2014, 00:45
Monday morning at 10 am the epic war film the longest day is on more 4. If westerns are your cup of tea ride the high country is on film 4 at 15.20.
And for magnum pi fans the episode curse of the king kamehameha club starts at 10 am on itv4

Spectral Morn
03-11-2014, 09:17
I was pretty sure it was the start of a series on the BBC - but I could be wrong.

It was for the Drama Channel but one other is showing old Dr Who other than the Horror Channel, the Aztecs story was on yesterday featuring Hartnel but I can't recall which one it was..... Sorry.

Regards Neil

struth
07-11-2014, 12:32
For John Wayne fans TRUE GRIT is coming on film 4 at 13.05 today.

synsei
07-11-2014, 12:41
Have you seen the remake Grant? I thought it was excellent :)

struth
07-11-2014, 13:05
Dont think so Dave. Remember going to buy it but didnt. Maybe see it on prime

struth
07-11-2014, 15:26
Good crime caper on tonight at 21.00 film 4...The Bank Job.

Macca
07-11-2014, 15:44
Anyone ever seen 'The Brink's Job' with Peter Falk (AKA 'Columbo'). Great film in a really good 1930's period setting but they hardly ever show it on TV.

struth
07-11-2014, 15:49
Yes I have but long ago... Was a sort of comedy I think? The guy that was in young Frankenstein was in it

Macca
07-11-2014, 15:55
I don't recall it as a comedy but it was a little bit off-beat.

struth
07-11-2014, 16:10
it is available on Amazon although not cheap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Brinks-Job-DVD-Region/dp/B00N35N8BC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415376378&sr=8-2&keywords=the+brinks+job

struth
10-11-2014, 10:52
2 good war films on soon... first up is Sink the Bismark 11.25 more4. then on film4 at12.40 is Went the Day Well.
for john wayne fans at 16.15 his irish roots film the Quiet man is on film4 too.

Spectral Morn
10-11-2014, 13:26
2 good war films on soon... first up is Sink the Bismark 11.25 more4. then on film4 at12.40 is Went the Day Well.
for john wayne fans at 16.15 his irish roots film the Quiet man is on film4 too.

Sink the Bismark, great film. I have a very elderly lady customer at the bookshop who was a nurse in the war, her boyfriend of the time was a Dr on the Hood. He died.

Got it on now. Went the day well is a good one too.

Regards Neil

Macca
10-11-2014, 13:58
My father had a work collegue who was one of the pilots in the Fairey Swordfish whose job it was to keep tracking the Bismark. Apparantly it was on his watch that they lost track of it.

Spectral Morn
10-11-2014, 16:35
My father had a work collegue who was one of the pilots in the Fairey Swordfish whose job it was to keep tracking the Bismark. Apparantly it was on his watch that they lost track of it.

Ooooopppppsssssss

struth
11-11-2014, 22:59
Genevieve is on Film 4 tomorrow morning at 11.am. Stars John Gregson and the lovely Kay Kendall/

Roy S
11-11-2014, 23:24
Genevieve is on Film 4 tomorrow morning at 11.am. Stars John Gregson and the lovely Kay Kendall/

Thanks Grant, I'll set my alarm for that :eyebrows:

struth
11-11-2014, 23:44
Thanks Grant, I'll set my alarm for that :eyebrows:

:lol:

struth
14-11-2014, 12:59
this afternoon at 4pm the award winning 1949 Battleground comes on. top class film about the defence of Bastogne during the battle of the bulge

Marco
14-11-2014, 15:56
Which channel is it on? ;)

Marco.

struth
14-11-2014, 16:27
film 4

struth
14-11-2014, 18:17
Good film that. Missed the beginning though:steam:

struth
15-11-2014, 11:38
the pick of film 4 today will be the original gene barry "the war of the worlds" at 15.25. may have been made 60 years ago but its head n shoulders above the t cruise version.

Macca
15-11-2014, 12:05
the pick of film 4 today will be the original gene barry "the war of the worlds" at 15.25. may have been made 60 years ago but its head n shoulders above the t cruise version.

Disagree :)

I expected the TC re-make to be shite but it is in fact very good, scary, loads of tension, well-acted, great effects. I've always thought the original film to be a poor telling of the story, badly scripted, poorly acted and whilst the effects are of their time they fail to suspend disbelief.

Lots of stuff on at the moment about the Battle of the Bulge and Bastogne, I suppose because it is the 60th anniversary next month.

struth
18-11-2014, 10:19
The House on 92nd Street (1945)in on film4 today at 15.10. excellent semi narrated crime drama about nazi spies in America and the forces of law and order scooping them up. William Eythe and Leo Carole star

struth
19-11-2014, 10:27
Tonight at 9 pm on film 4 the 2011 action adventure the immortals is on....gory stuff so right up marco's street:eek:

Macca
19-11-2014, 16:55
'Prentice tonight. Not sure if anyone else watches this? I know it is a sort of reality show but it is not quite as moronic as big brother or that jungle thing.

struth
21-11-2014, 11:03
If you like epics then Cleopatra is on film4 at 14.25 today. Starring Richard Burton is Marc Anthony to Liz Taylors Cleo while Rex Harrison looks Scornfully on as Caesar

struth
22-11-2014, 14:03
the complete 2nd series of Red Dwarf is on Dave at 15.00 today

Barry
22-11-2014, 20:32
Red Dwarf was one of the best "sci-fi" series to be shown on TV in the early '90s! Loved it - though in my opinion the series ran on for too long: at the end the characters were looking distinctly old. The final episode was excellent however, and was a very clever way of providing 'closure'. :)

Macca
23-11-2014, 22:41
Tomorrow morning at 0100 on BBC2 - The Quatermass Xperiment, The proper one from the Fifties. Good of them to stick it on so late of course no-one has work to go to tomorrow. Anyways set your VCR (or whatever).

struth
23-11-2014, 22:45
Tomorrow morning at 0100 on BBC2 - The Quatermass Xperiment, The proper one from the Fifties. Good of them to stick it on so late of course no-one has work to go to tomorrow. Anyways set your VCR (or whatever).

will do.. bbc2 eh? i never go there normally.

Roy S
23-11-2014, 23:04
of course no-one has work to go to tomorrow

I don't so I'll stop up and watch that, thanks Martin

Barry
23-11-2014, 23:20
Me too - after I have watched "Moon", also on BBC2 at 23:30. :)

Spectral Morn
24-11-2014, 00:05

This was the film adaptation of the BBC tv series. I rate both and the BBC original of Quatermass and the Pit is very good too as is the second story. Have them all on DVD and the penguin books of the scripts, so I will maybe watch again. My Sky+ box drive is getting very full about 4% left lol

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
24-11-2014, 00:06
Me too - after I have watched "Moon", also on BBC2 at 23:30. :)

Very good and intelligent film.

Regards Neil

struth
02-12-2014, 10:15
Panic in the Streets is on film 4 at 12.55 today. stars Richard Widmark and Jack Palance. good film this

Macca
02-12-2014, 12:10
Funeral In Berlin. Not seen it since I was a kid. Very stylish film.

Barry
02-12-2014, 14:43
Funeral In Berlin. Not seen it since I was a kid. Very stylish film.

Was that the sequal to 'The Ipcress File', with Michael Caine as Harry Palmer?

struth
02-12-2014, 15:34
it was indeed followed by billion dollar brain i think. is it on tv

struth
03-12-2014, 11:00
i was montys double is on film 4 at 13.05 today... not a bad film.....and oliver twist .the lean version just started on more4

Spectral Morn
03-12-2014, 12:12
Outlander

Based on the series of time travel books by Diana Gabaldon. A WW2 nurse finds herself in 18th C Scotland during the early phase of the Jacobite rebellion.

Stumbled across this last night and wow, fabulous acting, very tense, looks incredible, only problem might be its on RTE 2 an Irish TV station (not sure if UK mainland folks get this) if you can view it well worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3006802/

Regards Neil

struth
05-12-2014, 09:55
For war film lovers, the 1943 propaganda film "Guadalcanal Diary" is on at 11.00 this morning film 4, or if you like drama, at 1.50 more4, "an inspector Calls" (1954) with the legendary Alistair Sim. Actually watched this recently and it is still as good as the day it was made.

struth
11-12-2014, 11:42
another ww2 war film this afternoon in Merrills marauders 16.50 film4 starring Jeff Chandler as Brig Gen. Frank Merrill....a yankee force akin to the chindits.

earlier Passport to Pimlico , a delightful comedy starring a British whos who of film from the Ealing Studios.

struth
12-12-2014, 12:42
2 good films on this afternoon. one after another. 13.10 has the Kubrick classic Dr Strangelove followed at 15.10 with Paul Newman as Hombre....both film4

Spectral Morn
18-12-2014, 18:26
Apple - The Broken Promises BBC Panorama tonight

Sobering and horrifying glimpse into the conditions workers are forced to accept to make Apples products in this case i Pad and the new i phone 6 :(

Regards Neil

Gazjam
18-12-2014, 20:09
Watching this tonight Neil, I think it might open peoples eyes a bit...

Mr Kipling
18-12-2014, 21:07
Apple's Broken Promises. BBC 1 now.

Shocking reality for its workers.

struth
18-12-2014, 23:58
Well? what was said in this program about the booogy man

Macca
19-12-2014, 12:53
I saw the trailer and I don't know if I am becoming old and cynical but I could just see them editing this to show things in absolutely the worst light.

I mean it wouldn't make much of a programme if it was an hour of interviewing happy workers, would it?

I could make a documentary where I work and I guarantee that I could edit it to make it look like the best place in the world to work or one of the worst. I don't trust journalists and I particularly don't trust BBC journalists.

struth
19-12-2014, 12:57
They Who Dare (1954) is on film4 shortly. 13.15. A good film this with a stellar British cast led by Dirk Bogarde off to Greece to destroy enemy airfields.

Mr Kipling
20-12-2014, 01:03
I saw the trailer and I don't know if I am becoming old and cynical but I could just see them editing this to show things in absolutely the worst light.

I mean it wouldn't make much of a programme if it was an hour of interviewing happy workers, would it?

I could make a documentary where I work and I guarantee that I could edit it to make it look like the best place in the world to work or one of the worst. I don't trust journalists and I particularly don't trust BBC journalists.

I would imagine there were those who thought Hitler wasn't really such a bad bloke…

A company has workers jumping out of windows to their death because of the intolerable working conditions and the company's response is to fit anti-suicide netting. Does that not suggest anything about the company and what it's priorities are?

Apple invited the journalist to the US for a meeting, and when he got there they changed their mind and refused to see him. Something to hide?

Macca
20-12-2014, 11:26
Stephen

No need to invoke Godwin's law. Apple may well be the worst employer in the world for all I know. I was just making the point that you can't trust anything you see on the telly, especially if it is a contentious issue. The BBC are well known for their biased reporting.

Spectral Morn
20-12-2014, 11:35
Stephen

No need to invoke Godwin's law. Apple may well be the worst employer in the world for all I know. I was just making the point that you can't trust anything you see on the telly, especially if it is a contentious issue. The BBC are well known for their biased reporting.

Of certain political and religious issues (Israel for one) yes but re Apple I would suspect not, but who knows I could be wrong.

I will watch it on the iplayer as I missed the live broadcast.

Regards Neil

Macca
20-12-2014, 11:47
As an example I was talking to someone who was a senior radiologist at a well known children's hospital. This was back in the 1980s and there was some sort of issue regarding doctor's working practices. They had a meeting about it and the BBC came to film it. The clip shown on the news was about 30 seconds in length and showed the doctors sat around a table raising their hands to vote on whether they would take action or not.

Except they didn't vote at all they just had a discussion and then decided what to do. The 'voting' the BBC showed was in fact the doctors responding to the questions 'who wants tea? And who wants coffee?'.

Spectral Morn
20-12-2014, 12:19
As an example I was talking to someone who was a senior radiologist at a well known children's hospital. This was back in the 1980s and there was some sort of issue regarding doctor's working practices. They had a meeting about it and the BBC came to film it. The clip shown on the news was about 30 seconds in length and showed the doctors sat around a table raising their hands to vote on whether they would take action or not.

Except they didn't vote at all they just had a discussion and then decided what to do. The 'voting' the BBC showed was in fact the doctors responding to the questions 'who wants tea? And who wants coffee?'.

:doh:

That should have been challenged. My issue with the BBC news is its shallow, sound bites and at times definately biased.

Regards Neil

Macca
20-12-2014, 12:25
Channel Four news is even worse. And ITN is indistinguishable from an episode of 'Brass Eye'.

Mr Kipling
20-12-2014, 13:19
ITV news has never been the same since Lenny Henry left.

Mr Kipling
20-12-2014, 13:52
You don't have to rely on terrestrial news; there is the internet. I think it was The Independent newspaper that broke the the story 4 years ago as to what was happening.

Spectral Morn
27-12-2014, 23:15
The 100 - Season Two (early Jan E4)

I watched the first season out of curiosity initially sceptical about whether this would amount to more than a Lord of the Flies meets Mad Max but it soon was clear this was pretty good and I ended up hooked. Season Two sees the Ark smashed, part of it back on Earth where the survivors face difficulties but are still not aware of the terrors that Earth has waiting for them. The first to come from the Ark, mostly teenagers condemned criminals, have fought of their first major engagement with the Grounders, Earth's savage post apocalyptic warriors. However a much more technological threat is beginning to make its presence known.

Well worth a watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_%28TV_series%29

Regards Neil

struth
09-01-2015, 10:54
today at 16.45 on film 4 a good western...The Sons Of Katy Elder from i think 1965. stars the duke and good ol boy Dean Martin. John Wayne at his best here.

struth
10-01-2015, 11:18
today at 14.55 film4 is the 1959 comedy The Battle of the Sexes starring peter sellers..nicly paced comedy this.

Spectral Morn
10-01-2015, 15:35
Quiet a bit of sci fi coming in the next week, Extant, Ascension and the 100 is back for a second season - so far so good.

Over the next few months (June), The Strain returns, The Last Ship, and a few others I didn't like, Helix, Believe, Dominion and Intelligence.

Regards Neil

Gazjam
10-01-2015, 16:55
Quiet a bit of sci fi coming in the next week, Extant, Ascension and the 100 is back for a second season - so far so good.

Over the next few months (June), The Strain returns, The Last Ship, and a few others I didn't like, Helix, Believe, Dominion and Intelligence.

Regards Neil

Good to see The Last Ship got a second series...
lagged a bit in the middle and I almost gave up, but got very good towards the end of the first series. the finale was a doozy.

Enjoyed The Strain too, be good to see what happens next with that.

Thanks Neil.

Mr Kipling
12-01-2015, 20:53
Film biography on Hendrix on True Entertainment Channel 61 Freeview tonight at 9.

Mr Kipling
12-01-2015, 22:27
Film biography on Hendrix on True Entertainment Channel 61 Freeview tonight at 9.

Hoping for some gritty realism (and not getting any) - I switched it off after 15 mins.

Sorry for raising expectations.

struth
16-01-2015, 11:52
Footsteps in the Fog (aka how to poison your wife but be seen):eyebrows: 1955 is coming on film4 at 13.20 today. quite a decent melodrama starring Stewart Grainger and Jean Simmons.

Macca
16-01-2015, 13:16
New series of Ancient Aliens on H2, Tuesday nights. One of my favourite shows.

Spectral Morn
16-01-2015, 18:15
Tonight 9pm Sky One the first part of Ascension - looks interesting, details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_%28TV_series%29

Regards Neil

struth
16-01-2015, 18:50
Tonight 9pm Sky One the first part of Ascension - looks interesting, details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_%28TV_series%29

Regards Neil

Told my boy to record these in case I get a chance when round at his to watch it and he should like it too. They sent me the email and I sent a record request. dunno if it took though.

Spectral Morn
16-01-2015, 19:55
Told my boy to record these in case I get a chance when round at his to watch it and he should like it too. They sent me the email and I sent a record request. dunno if it took though.

That's what that was, I deleted the email lol

Hopefully its good.

Regards Neil

struth
21-01-2015, 10:00
reach for the sky (1956) is on more4 today at 10.45am; starring Kenneth More as Flying ace Douglas Bader....Then at 12.35, Above us the Waves (1955) starring John Mills about the mini sub attacks on the Tirpitz in a Norwegian Fjord.

Macca
21-01-2015, 20:48
BBC 4 2300 hrs tonight : The Who - The Making of Tommy.

RichB
21-01-2015, 20:51
BBC 4 2300 hrs tonight : The Who - The Making of Tommy.

Excellent! I was just listening to their live rendition of this from the Leeds deluxe set today. Great timing.

Mr Kipling
22-01-2015, 18:48
UFOs Declassified. First of a six-part series on Yesterday Channel 19 tonight at 10. Looking at recently made available evidence.

The Project Blue Book is now on-line:

http://theblackvault.com

Spectral Morn
22-01-2015, 18:56

Now that's interesting J Allen Hyneks work. I read quiet a number of his books when I was younger, as well as Jacques Vallée.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards Neil

Mr Kipling
22-01-2015, 19:50
Now that's interesting J Allen Hyneks work. I read quiet a number of his books when I was younger, as well as Jacques Vallée.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards Neil

Aye… He started out being a total sceptic - and ended up a believer.

struth
24-01-2015, 20:48
UFOs Declassified. First of a six-part series on Yesterday Channel 19 tonight at 10. Looking at recently made available evidence.

Just got round to watching that tonight. Pretty much the usual guff from the authorities. I mean getting the people with most to hide to do the investigation is typical govt coverup; even if it isnt if you know what I mean......:lol:

Mr Kipling
24-01-2015, 21:27
I must be getting old as I found it a tad boring. So what if there's triangular-shaped UFOs out there and has been ages. I think there's a lot more serious sh-t happening.

Where's Dave when you want him!

struth
13-02-2015, 11:58
Peter O'Toole stars in Murphys War at 11.20 on more4 today. A rather good film of revenge getting the better of a man from 1971 and one of his best films imo.

walpurgis
13-02-2015, 12:01
Peter O'Toole stars in Murphys War at 11.20 on more4 today. A rather good film of revenge getting the better of a man from 1971 and one of his best films imo.

Yeah. Love that movie.

struth
19-02-2015, 10:30
Went the day well (1942)in on more4 today at 11.40am. great war film set in a sleepy English village that is attacked by German soldiers and their determination to defeat the hun;)
very good cast and a super propaganda film of the day.

struth
09-03-2015, 12:02
Guadalcanal Diary 1943 is on Film4 at 15.05 today. Preston Foster and Lloyd Nolan star.

jollyfix
11-03-2015, 08:27
Today at 5.30, my mate Andrew and his family are on CBBC. Tv show about his girls Daisy and Amy and wife Emma going to visit him. He films all over the world, and has great stories to tell me about his trips to the desert/ jungle etc when i visit him in Wedmore to borrow some CDs from his huge collection ( Arcam and MA HIFI).
He mainly films or produces wildlife films, but also works on most of the BBC4 music 'doc's'.
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Penguin-Post-Office-Sister-s-Amy-Graham-Brown/story-26146808-detail/story.html

Gazjam
12-03-2015, 06:06
Very cool. :)

struth
12-03-2015, 09:39
3 very good war films on this morning. 10.50 more4. battle of river plate..or on film4 11.00 the gift horse followed by one of my favorites, the malta story with Alec Guiness.

The Black Adder
12-03-2015, 09:46
3 very good war films on this morning. 10.50 more4. battle of river plate..or on film4 11.00 the gift horse followed by one of my favorites, the malta story with Alec Guiness.

Oooh!.. I'll record those. Thanks Grant!

One of my all time fave war films is 'Above us the Waves' and 'Went the Day Well' - Above us the Waves was one of my fathers favorites and watched it together. I loved the Cartier Reverso Watch that John Mills had on.

Macca
22-01-2016, 21:02
Tonight on BBC 4 @ 2300 hrs 'Lemmy The Movie' followed by Motorhead live at Glastonbury. Tape and watch as a tribute.

Marco
22-01-2016, 21:24
Nice one, Martin. I'll make sure I catch that :thumbsup:

Marco.

Macca
04-02-2016, 18:03
Tonite onTCM '24 Hour Party People' - the story of Tony Wilson, Factory, Joy Division, New Order etc. Very well done, very funny, and Steve Coogan channels the ghost of Wilson so well you forget it is Coogan alltogether. Unmissable even if you don't have an interest in the music or the era. Indeed you might well be prompted to start checking it out after watching this.

Tom-Brown
05-02-2016, 09:46
Jesus!!! lost count how many times I've seen it :eek: :eek: and I still read both books on a regular basis :) Shame the never made a film of the second book "Banco"!!

Macca
06-02-2016, 09:05
Grant man this is the what's coming soon thread not 'Screening today' (or whatever it's called). :)

myles
06-02-2016, 09:31
Tonite onTCM '24 Hour Party People' - the story of Tony Wilson, Factory, Joy Division, New Order etc. Very well done, very funny, and Steve Coogan channels the ghost of Wilson so well you forget it is Coogan alltogether. Unmissable even if you don't have an interest in the music or the era. Indeed you might well be prompted to start checking it out after watching this.

I bought the book in HMV for about £2. It's a pretty good read.

Macca
06-02-2016, 09:37
I didn't know there was a book. I'll check that out.

struth
06-02-2016, 09:59
Grant man this is the what's coming soon thread not 'Screening today' (or whatever it's called). :)

:lol: who moved them

Marco
07-02-2016, 22:19
Alien 3 is due on, on Channel 4 at 11.05pm... Gonna watch that! :cool:

Marco.

struth
07-02-2016, 22:32
Alien 3 is due on, on Channel 4 at 11.05pm... Gonna watch that! :cool:

Marco.

which one's that again.... used to have them all in a boxset and the "boy" nicked 'em

Marco
07-02-2016, 22:37
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103644/

Got the log fire roarin', candles on, lights out and popcorn ready! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
07-02-2016, 22:41
Ah the drippy prison one.....:D may watch or probably record it.. a bit late for me with scary stuff, and no-one to tuck me in like

Marco
07-02-2016, 22:43
Lol... Del's in bed, so I'll be watching it myself (with the cats). It's good when you don't have to get up for work in the morning, or in my case, work from home and rise when you like! :D ;)

Marco.

struth
07-02-2016, 23:06
enjoy... dont think ive got anything to get up for either, but will no doubt be up anyways. sleeping is not one of my fortes these days,

Marco
08-02-2016, 00:28
Nightmare, mate. Sounds like a lack of Serotonin. There are some things you can do to help.

I sleep like a log! Enjoying the film... :)

Marco.

Marco
08-02-2016, 20:58
Another good film on tonight, Hannibal, on Channel 5 at 10.55pm :cool:

Marco.

Marco
14-02-2016, 20:06
Predator 2 tonight on Channel 4 at 10.45pm :cool:

Marco.

Marco
14-02-2016, 20:35
This looks rather interesting, starting tomorrow night on SKY Atlantic at 9pm: https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-atlantic/vinyl

:) :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
16-02-2016, 09:28
Better Call Saul season 2 on Netflix...
kc0VIUK6JSA

Spectral Morn
16-02-2016, 12:41
This looks rather interesting, starting tomorrow night on SKY Atlantic at 9pm: https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-atlantic/vinyl

Marco.

I will watch it on catch up, last night was a busy night, with the current Walking Dead season restarting and Gotham.

Gazjam
16-02-2016, 16:32
Watching this tonight, remember being glued to CNN at the time...what was it 1994?

People Vs OJ Simpson on BBCi PLayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03hxrbk?intc_type=promo&intc_location=sport&intc_campaign=ojsimpson&intc_linkname=bbctwo_drama_vidclip1

Marco
16-02-2016, 18:21
I will watch it on catch up, last night was a busy night, with the current Walking Dead season restarting and Gotham.

Is this the latest episodes carrying on from last season, Neil? Which channel was it on? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
16-02-2016, 18:27
Is this the latest episodes carrying on from last season, Neil? Which channel was it on? :)

Marco.

There was a mid season break, so its started from the break point, Zombies in the community that were let in via the tower smashing the fence down. FOX HD

Marco
16-02-2016, 20:10
Cheers, mate :thumbsup:

Marco.

WAD62
23-02-2016, 13:29

Marco.

I had high hopes myself...:doh:

Watched the 2hr pilot last night, very disappointing, the history of 70's rock music set against the backdrop of a run down 1973 NYC is interesting enough, without having to fabricate stuff.

At what point is it acceptable to create a fictional English Punk band 'The Nasty Bits' (some sort of pistols, clash, joy division idealised hybrid) touring NYC a full 4 years before UK punk arrived in NY...it's a bit disrespectful to the Ramones et al, who may have felt they initiated the movement in NY around '76.

As for the birth of hip hop...lets give that another 3 years too

R.E. the collapsing hotel, that happened with only the residents present, the New York dolls weren't even in the State at the time...

Messrs Jagger and Scorsese should have their respective artistic licenses revoked ;)

struth
26-02-2016, 11:46
Master & Commander (2003) is on film 4 tonight at 18.25.... Superb naval drama starring Russell Crowe at his very best.. Superb film version of a superb series of books

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/7c4acaf2e06ea0ea3cf1589f80071c8f.jpg

hifi_dave
29-02-2016, 16:52
Is it me or is this series rubbish ?

The story is totally unbelievable, where a hotel Manager becomes a mighty warrior in the mould of James Bond and does it, seemingly, overnight. His adversary is a comic book villain as per Blofeld or Goldfinger and is fooled into believing our hero is also a villain by means of a fight in a pub in the smallest village in the country.

What doesn't help me enjoy this is that at least 4 of the main characters are from various sitcoms, so I just can't take them seriously. It's as far removed from the brilliant Happy Valley as it can get.

Haselsh1
29-02-2016, 17:14
Yes David, strange concoction if ever there was one. I'm afraid I have the same stance with Happy Valley though. It is just like Eastenders for thinking people and way too grim for me.

hifi_dave
29-02-2016, 17:31
It's grim but more realistic for me and I can believe in the characters even though I have seen them in dozens of other series. With the Night Manager all I can see is the 'Rev' trying to act hard or 'Sir Percy' being a comic book villain.

Spectral Morn
29-02-2016, 18:01
Master & Commander (2003) is on film 4 tonight at 18.25.... Superb naval drama starring Russell Crowe at his very best.. Superb film version of a superb series of books

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160226/7c4acaf2e06ea0ea3cf1589f80071c8f.jpg

Fabulous film.

Marco
29-02-2016, 18:06
I had high hopes myself...:doh:

Watched the 2hr pilot last night, very disappointing, the history of 70's rock music set against the backdrop of a run down 1973 NYC is interesting enough, without having to fabricate stuff.

At what point is it acceptable to create a fictional English Punk band 'The Nasty Bits' (some sort of pistols, clash, joy division idealised hybrid) touring NYC a full 4 years before UK punk arrived in NY...it's a bit disrespectful to the Ramones et al, who may have felt they initiated the movement in NY around '76.

As for the birth of hip hop...lets give that another 3 years too

R.E. the collapsing hotel, that happened with only the residents present, the New York dolls weren't even in the State at the time...

Messrs Jagger and Scorsese should have their respective artistic licenses revoked ;)

Hi Will,

I acknowledge all that, but despite that, I'm still really enjoying the series, especially when a bit of Soprano-style gangster violence was brought into it, when that black singer (Lester) got beaten up, and when Richie and Joe Corso combine to murder Buck Rogers!

That, coupled with the cool '70s vibe', running through the show, means that I'm loving it. Looking forward to watching tonight's episode :cool:

Marco.

mikmas
01-03-2016, 01:25
Is it me or is this series rubbish ?

The story is totally unbelievable, where a hotel Manager becomes a mighty warrior in the mould of James Bond and does it, seemingly, overnight. His adversary is a comic book villain as per Blofeld or Goldfinger and is fooled into believing our hero is also a villain by means of a fight in a pub in the smallest village in the country.

What doesn't help me enjoy this is that at least 4 of the main characters are from various sitcoms, so I just can't take them seriously. It's as far removed from the brilliant Happy Valley as it can get.

The Night Manager is typical 'spy thriller' tosh ... but actually we are quite enjoying it. The 'over night' transformation is no less believable than others given that the main character has a back story including active service in Iraq and a dad who was also a spy (well before he got drawn in by the murder in Cairo)

Yes - the actors are drawn from the pool of available British talent but that is hardly something new (and for once we don't get Helen Mirren, Judi Dench or Charles Dance wheeled out for yet another airing... let alone Cumbersnatch)

Its also well made with great locations, cinematography and acting by all concerned.

Spectral Morn
03-03-2016, 12:34
So March 17 see the UK premier on Sky One of Arthur C Clarkes fabulous story of a first contact between humanity and an alien race. Really looking forward to this.

http://tibs2.threeifbyspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ChildhoodsEndBanner.jpg

struth
03-03-2016, 12:36
Looks interesting. Dont have sky though.

Spectral Morn
03-03-2016, 12:37
So March 17 see the UK premier on Sky One of Arthur C Clarkes fabulous story of a first contact between humanity and an alien race. Really looking forward to this.

http://tibs2.threeifbyspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ChildhoodsEndBanner.jpg

i3e7aMCIxjY

Spectral Morn
03-03-2016, 12:39
Looks interesting. Dont have sky though.

Ahhhh shame. Its getting good reviews. Few weeks to wait to see if its good or not.

walpurgis
03-03-2016, 12:42
I just read the plot synopsis online. Sounds interesting.

Spectral Morn
03-03-2016, 12:50
I just read the plot synopsis online. Sounds interesting.

The book was written in 1953 and its powerful stuff. I read it years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Macca
03-03-2016, 13:05
Cant recall much about it other than it was a good read. Must have read it when I was about 12 so a long time ago. I'll be checking this out, looks good.

struth
03-03-2016, 13:08
Ive downloaded it from amazon kindle and is now on my system. Not read it so nice try something new

Marco
17-08-2016, 08:07
http://www.channel5.com/show/celeb-trolls-were-coming-to-get-you

Looking forward to watching this on CH5 at 10pm tomorrow night, and seeing the type of saddos who get their 'kicks' behaving that way receive their very well-deserved comeuppance! Especially watching them squirm when they've been exposed, and are confronted face-to-face with their victims... :eyebrows:

It's primarily directed at the on-line abuse celebrities are subjected to on social media, but I'm sure that some of us here have experienced such on-line abuse (or worse) from other sources, and thus can relate to what's being reported, and one day we too can look forward to confronting our trolls! ;)

Don't miss it folks!! :cool:

Watch the trailer here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/christopher-maloney-comes-face-face-8642846

Marco.

Marco
17-08-2016, 18:22
Surprised that there's no interest in this upcoming programme, given the nature of its content! ;)

Marco.

Barry
18-08-2016, 09:51
Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

Marco
18-08-2016, 14:27
Mmm... Not sure, did anyone particular pop into your head? :hmm:

Marco.

Barry
18-08-2016, 19:28
Yes - but Forum rules prohibit me from naming them. ;)

struth
18-08-2016, 19:36
might catch it..... you on it?;)

Marco
18-08-2016, 21:09
Watching it now... Will comment later ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-08-2016, 22:15
Watching it on + 1

Gazjam
08-09-2016, 06:17
i3e7aMCIxjY

Watched first episode and halfway through second of this 3 parter last night.
Its really good, end of first episode was a real jaw dropper.

Thanks for the reccy Neil, will be checking out the book too.

Roy S
20-10-2016, 17:09
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803q78

Spectral Morn
27-03-2017, 10:15
New season of Dr Who. I have my fingers crossed they produce a quality season, instead of the poor drivel it mostly has been.

New trailer got me pretty excited as the original Mondasian Cyber men are back, not the awful parallel earth created ones. Ice Warriors are also back.

Anyway fingers crossed there is some quality here, Peter Capaldi's last series and Mr Moffat is leaving too :rave: Thought he made a right mess of this at times.

Macca
27-03-2017, 11:21
I gave up on it a while back. Some of the David Tennant stories were quite good, but now it is as bad as it was when they cancelled it the last time.

Barry
28-03-2017, 21:48
Yep, I've given up with Dr Who as well. Think it has run its course IMO.

Marco
28-05-2017, 21:40
Just watched an episode of this on TV, and found it freaking hilarious: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050hr6t

Macca, you'd love the 'retro vibe', sales theme and 80s values! :D

Marco.

Macca
28-05-2017, 21:45
Will give it a go.

Marco
28-05-2017, 21:56
Cool. Let us know what you think :)

Marco.

Marco
29-05-2017, 12:46
Have you watched any of it yet? :cool:

Marco.

Marco
29-05-2017, 19:04
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

Marco
29-05-2017, 19:34
EJsaHrrmFc8

Marco.

fatreg
30-05-2017, 15:24
White Gold was brilliant! whole series (5 episodes) available on iPlayer, loved the 80s vibe, soundtrack was ace, language was a bit much in places but well worth a watch.

Macca
30-05-2017, 17:16
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

LOL just got to this. There are too many posts to read these days. No not watched it yet. Will try to remember.

Marco
30-05-2017, 18:27
Lol - no worries. I think you'd like it. You have to watch a few episodes to 'grow into' it... :)

Marco.

Marco
30-05-2017, 18:30
White Gold was brilliant! whole series (5 episodes) available on iPlayer, loved the 80s vibe, soundtrack was ace, language was a bit much in places but well worth a watch.

Good, isn't it, Colin? Like you say, the soundtrack is SUPERB (almost worth watching for alone)! I do like the rather 'laddish' sense of humour, though... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
06-06-2017, 07:33
LOL just got to this. There are too many posts to read these days. No not watched it yet. Will try to remember.

Have you succeeded to remember yet, daftee? ;)

Marco.

Zoidburg
06-06-2017, 20:12
Hmmm watched white gold over a few nights. Wanted to like it but its didnt really work for me. The lead character was unlikeable & unbelievable and the supporting players seemed poorly written facsimiles of those in other better shows. It didnt really have many laughs either. Shame as it had a lot of potential.

Marco
06-06-2017, 21:36
I sympathise with that view Ben, as I know exactly where you're coming from.

However, for me the sales-orientated theme, depicting salesmen in a way I can relate to (being one myself), and the 'laddish' humour, cool 80s vibe, not to mention the superb soundtrack, were enough for me to make it entertaining viewing :cool:

Marco.

Marco
21-07-2017, 16:04
If you're an 80s boy, like me, then chances are you'll love DM... Well, if you tune into Sky Arts HD tonight (CH 122) at 7pm you'll see them perform live in Berlin.

Details here: http://www.asset1.net/show/depeche-mode

Should be especially good if you watch the show on a quality home-cinema system [count me in] and crank up the sound - can't wait! :cool:

Marco.

Macca
21-07-2017, 17:12
Have you succeeded to remember yet, daftee? ;)

Marco.

Nope. Distracted by my new telly and being able to watch DVDs again for the first time in 3 years. I need to get one of those firestick things so can watch Prime on the big screen instead of the 10'' laptop.

struth
21-07-2017, 19:45
Got a stick and a box. New stick is good but box is faster

Macca
21-07-2017, 21:51
Box cost more though I guess?

Marco
22-07-2017, 07:33
I need to get one of those firestick things so can watch Prime on the big screen instead of the 10'' laptop.

Lol... Wot's that got to do with the price of mince? White Gold was on BBC2.

Btw, is your new TV Android, and therefore connected to the Internet to access its Smart facilities?

Marco.

Macca
22-07-2017, 07:51
Yes it is connected to the internet. No idea what protocols it uses.

User211
22-07-2017, 07:51
If you liked Narcos check this lot out. Subtitled but worth it. The first link is actually a lot better than Narcos IMHO.

Check out "Pablo Escobar, el patrón del mal" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/80035684?source=android

Check out "El Chapo" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/80133042?source=android

Check out "El Capo - El Amo del Tunel" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/80163048?source=android

Peaky Blinders season 4 in October? Also outstanding.

Check out "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/80002479?source=android

struth
22-07-2017, 07:52
Box cost more though I guess?

yup. a lot more... probably not worth extra unless you use it a lot. but it is much snappier as it has a great processor in

Marco
22-07-2017, 07:55
Yes it is connected to the internet. No idea what protocols it uses.

Cool. Then you can access a lot of stuff on YouTube. 1970s TV programmes, etc, which you love. Even some of the music vids are good :)

Marco.

Marco
22-07-2017, 07:55
If you liked Narcos check this lot out.

What's Narcos?

Marco.

User211
22-07-2017, 14:58
What's Narcos?

Marco.Narcos was and is a very popular series on Netflix about Columbian drug cartels, specifically Pablo Escobar.

The degree of power these cartels had and have in Columbia defies all belief. That's what makes it so interesting. Basically a shed load of trouble because America loves cocaine.

Minstrel SE
29-10-2017, 19:05
If you all get a chance to check out the Storyville series of documentaries please do on BBC4 or i player

Ive just watched THE WORK : FOUR DAYS TO REDEMPTION...Folsom Prison and it was riveting viewing that really moved me.

Whatever you make of it these documentaries are always carefully filmed and superbly edited with no commentary to get in the way. Beautifully produces in a way that you feel involved and compelled by the story.

They did a great programme about James Foley and Sonita Alizadeh which were also very moving indeed.

Television at its very best and I just thought I would mention it.

Best Wishes
Martin

walpurgis
15-12-2018, 17:16
If you want something entertaining to watch shortly, 'Yes Man' movie is on ITV2 at 5.45.

Yes, I know it's a Jim Carrey film, but at least this one is not over the top daftness or crass and Zooey Deschanel is charming. I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Good fun!

walpurgis
16-12-2018, 21:46
A movie for the more discerning amongst you. At 11.00pm today on Horror Channel, 'Nude Nuns with Big Guns'! :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/28tw01v.jpg

struth
16-12-2018, 21:58
There's so much wrong with that. lol

Macca
17-12-2018, 07:22
There's so much wrong with that. lol

Not nude for a start off.