PDA

View Full Version : Alphason Xenon on a SL-1200mk2?

electrafixion
30-07-2009, 20:49
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for while and thought I'd finally introduce myself today, and seek some advice from the group.

Last year I put together my first direct drive turntable project (pix below), which consists of a 80's vintage SL-1200mk2, and an Origin Live armboard and OL-1 (RB250) arm. I had the deck refinished in high gloss paint, installed a new bearing and dustcover, and blue LEDs.

As some on this site have suggested the Rega based arms aren't the best match for this table, I've been considering other options. Recently I obtained a vintage Alphason Xenon arm, and I'm wondering if it might be a suitable match. The arm may need some work as it seems to have some play in the bottom bearing, and a rewire may also be in order. Also, am I correct that the Alphason uses Linn mounting geometry? If so, does anyone make a 1200 armboard which would facilitate the arm?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Spectral Morn
30-07-2009, 21:32
Hi Trevor

Welcome to AoS. Pop into the welcome section to the forum and say hello. You can tell us a wee bit about yourself and the music and system you have.

Regards D S D L

chris@panteg
30-07-2009, 22:24
Hi Trevor

Dave Cawley is your man ' he can supply an armboard of a very high quality that uses the Linn mount as he uses and recommends the Jelco arms (same mounting).

How do you like your techie as is though 'have you thought about the Timestep PSU ? .

electrafixion
30-07-2009, 22:52
I really love my 1200, and I plan to keep upgrading it as far as I can. The Timestep PSU is definately on my shopping list. I emailed Dave a few months back to inquire about shipping to me in Canada. Unfortunately other acquisitions (such as the Xenon) have come up so the Timestep will have to wait for a bit still.

chris@panteg
31-07-2009, 09:51
Trevor ' your 1200 looks superb BTW

electrafixion
31-07-2009, 14:56
Thanks, I'm pleased with how it turned out. I think the Xenon should look great on there too, but I'm wondering how it will compare to the OL RB250.