PDA

View Full Version : The fairies

vinyljunky
28-09-2014, 19:50
Got a copy of the fairies track don't think twice its alright on decca it's dated 1964 it has the centre missing has anyone got any info on this item and or the band:scratch:

PaulStewart
28-09-2014, 20:08
Hi Steven,

The Fairies were a great R&B band (real R&B that is)I think from Essex. The main man behind the band was drummer/songwriter John Alder, better known as Twink who later joined the Pretty Things and then migrated to the Pink Fairies with Mick Farren. Should be a great single, certainly one I would play on the show. The track is a Dylan song, least I assume it's the same one.

vinyljunky
28-09-2014, 20:25
Cheers Paul would the fact the centre is missing make it a jukebox copy

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2014, 20:33
Probably, but not definitely.
Paul, I thought that the Pink Fairies name came from Mick Farren? I read his autobiography (great book) where he referred to The Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club And All Star Rock And Roll Big Band

Extract (http://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Article/the-pink-fairies-motorcycle-club-and-all-star-rock-and-roll-big-band-a-fairy-tale) from IT magazine:

The Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club And All Star Rock And Roll Big Band: A Fairy-tale

Mick Farren, International Times, 9 May 1969
A NUMBER of musicians from various well known bands in London have, it was revealed to IT in an exclusive interview this week, formed an organisation known as the Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club And All Star Rock And Roll Big Band, whose aim is to promote subversion and fun during the summer of 1969.

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2014, 20:38
21wShF807ls

PaulStewart
28-09-2014, 20:52
Cheers Paul would the fact the centre is missing make it a jukebox copy

Not necessarily, I hadloads of singles that had been "Dinked" for jukeboxes from brant new. They often came with an adaptor.

Probably, but not definitely.
Paul, I thought that the Pink Fairies name came from Mick Farren? I read his autobiography (great book) where he referred to The Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club And All Star Rock And Roll Big Band

Extract (http://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Article/the-pink-fairies-motorcycle-club-and-all-star-rock-and-roll-big-band-a-fairy-tale) from IT magazine:

Chris,

Right but.....The Pink Fairies MC Club was made up of members of Deviants which was Farren's band and the Pink Fairies which Twink was in by that time. Another member of the drinking circle was Steve Took of Tyrannosaurus Rex fame. The three of them formed the nascent Pink Fairies after Farren was slung out of the Deviants which was his own band.

My late eldest brother De was part of that crowd at the time and due to the fact we had a fantastic reprobate mother :) who introduced us to blues and jazz we were both heavily into the music scene. My brother died of cancer a few years ago and despite becoming an orthodox Rabbi, he was living in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and his last act was to play the blues on his National Reso-Nator guitar :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2014, 21:04
Sorry to hear about your brother, but by golly he went out in some style - three cheers for that man!
Love a lot of Farren and the Deviants stuff, despite its somewhat (shall we say) patchiness!

Back to 'Don't think twice...' my favourite cover version of this is the one Eric Clapton did with Steve Cropper and friends at the Dylan Anniversary concert.

ZphtG5koFlo

PaulStewart
28-09-2014, 21:11
Sorry to hear about your brother, but by golly he went out in some style - three cheers for that man!
Love a lot of Farren and the Deviants stuff, despite its somewhat (shall we say) patchiness!

I have an original signed copy of the Social Deviants "Ptoof" which the band put out themselves i believe as no record compny would touch them. May play some on the show next week.

PaulStewart
28-09-2014, 21:16
By a strange coincidence, the first picture I ever had published professionally was of Mick and the Pink Fairies published by Hoppy Hopkins in International Times :) That was shortly afer the last of the woolly mammoths died out I think :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
28-09-2014, 21:31
Ha!