PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts please....

icehockeyboy
28-09-2014, 16:29
As the 5 year old Onkyo SR 607 has been acting up ( common HDMI board problem I believe) I thought I'd replace it with a cheap unit.

RS have a Pioneer unit, only 5.1, but that's ok, however, the nice man at RSVP in Sheffield claimed that the thing wouldn't be up to much, compared to the Onkyo, and a previous £650 Denon.

Now, it's only £120, and I'm now not as big an enthusiast as I used to be with AV, so what do you reckon, buy one, or get the Onkyo repaired, which they (RS) said might not be cheap!

struth
28-09-2014, 17:07
I recently got a Pioneer dvd/bluray player that cost that amount. Lots of folk said it was only a poor mans oppo, but I am poor; It is a fabulous unit and it all works well and is well put together...Moral is just because it is not expensive dont mean it wont be good. I'd buy another modern pioneer from their lower pricepoint anytime.

icehockeyboy
30-09-2014, 22:19
Thanks Grant.

Anyone else want to give their two pennurth?

Andrei
30-09-2014, 23:04
Do you need a multi-channel receiver or just a multi format player?

icehockeyboy
08-10-2014, 11:39
Do you need a multi-channel receiver or just a multi format player?

Multi channel receiver.....did I even mention a player? :scratch:

icehockeyboy
08-10-2014, 11:40
The company that seems to be the official repairer of Onkyo says it would cost about £200 to repair! :(
I don't think it's worth it for a 5 year old unit.

Macca
08-10-2014, 11:55
I'd get the Onkyo fixed. A £120 receiver isn't going to be that great, in particular I think you fill find it lacks grunt compared to what you are used to. I know 'cause I replaced a monster top of the range Kenwood with a budget Sony -nothing wrong with the SQ but it lacks balls, frankly.

icehockeyboy
08-10-2014, 13:39
I'd get the Onkyo fixed. A £120 receiver isn't going to be that great, in particular I think you fill find it lacks grunt compared to what you are used to. I know 'cause I replaced a monster top of the range Kenwood with a budget Sony -nothing wrong with the SQ but it lacks balls, frankly.

Output wise it's on a par with the Onk though, and there's the REL to add balls when needed.

Interesting to note too, that just like other products, something that was at a certain price point with a given spec, can now be had for lots less dosh!

Macca
08-10-2014, 15:22
True. A/V receivers have plummeted in price in the last 10 years. I would be sceptical though about the power output figures. Pal of mine has a top of the range Onkyo that is supposed to meet the spec for THX but set it playing at the THX reference level and you can hear it clipping. It ended up destroying the tweeter in his centre speaker (£600 quids worth of B&W) and giving him tinitus to boot.

TimJ
05-11-2014, 15:19
have you had a look at the yamaha range? they get great reviews from the low end to high end & I can not fault the ones i have had.

sumday
09-09-2015, 20:47
hi craig...if you are stuck I have a nad T744 you can have cheap.
for some reason the volume is iffy on analogue inputs but is fine on digital sources....works ok via the remote!!
I am also in Nottingham....pm me if you could use it.

NIGE.