PDA

View Full Version : FS: Croft Series 4s - serviced/upgraded by Glenn + extras - lovely!

worrasf
28-09-2014, 13:23
After mucho thought I have decided to buy a pair of Croft 7 Monoblocks so my S4s needs to go (even I don't need both)

A bit of history.
I bought the S4s direct from Haden Boardman about 5 years ago.
Last year I took it over to Glenn who recapped and updated so as to run TungSol KT120's (changed the bias circuits and a few other bits and bobs including 1 of the bias external terminals)
It has performed flawlessly since day 1.

Valves as fitted:

Pair Telefunken EL519
Matched quad Svet 6550C's (sourced from Watford Valves last year)
Pair RCA 12BH7A black plates (NOS from Tube museum)
Pair Raytheon 12AT7's (NOS from AoS seller)
Pair GE 5 star 5751's (NOS from valve seller in HK)

Up until yesterday I was running the TungSol KT 120's - these have probably got about 200 hours. I had them Cryo treated by Frozen Solid (I have the certificate).
Having decided to sell the amp I thought I'd better test the Svets - perfect so have less than 10 hours on them.

I also have a spare pair of EL519's and various other tubes

Just to note I have removed the original plastic feet and support it on 4 chunky sorbothane blocks

The Svets bias at 70 Mv and the KT120's at 100Mv. They sound different (The KT120's more dynamic the Svets a bit warmer - horses for courses)

With all the above it's a bit difficult to put a realist price to sell but I reckon £650 sounds about right.

This is very heavy and I really wouldn't want to trust it to a courier so highly recommend collection in person from Riddlesden (West Yorkshire) - the buyer can then also hear it running.

struth
28-09-2014, 15:37
They look like a lot for the money Stephen...Bet it sounds great. GLWS

worrasf
28-09-2014, 15:41
Thanks Grant - yes, I reckon if I tot up the cost of everything included it would be a lot more - I truly believe it is a bargain lot.
I really struggled with the decision to sell so decided to put it in the lap of the Gods so to speak - if It doesn't sell I know I will be perfectly happy to keep it.

worrasf
30-09-2014, 16:59
Monkey bump

Come on chaps this is a bargain

Ninanina
30-09-2014, 17:07
Stephen how much just for the monkey.. ??

worrasf
30-09-2014, 17:09
£650

Sovereign
30-09-2014, 17:30
I'm sorely tempted to buy this as I recently bought an incredible Croft pre amp and I'm mightily impressed with it.
But I recently bought a mother Colin Wonfer class A power amp, so I mustn't
Very best of luck with the sale !

worrasf
30-09-2014, 17:34
You do realise the monkey will have to be put down if nobody buys the amp - Now I'm sure that you don't want that on your conscience ?

:harp:

worrasf
12-10-2014, 09:49
The monkey is looking very worried :eek:

vinyl
12-10-2014, 12:51
Which Croft Pre?

I'm sorely tempted to buy this as I recently bought an incredible Croft pre amp and I'm mightily impressed with it.
But I recently bought a mother Colin Wonfer class A power amp, so I mustn't
Very best of luck with the sale !

worrasf
13-11-2014, 18:49
Sold

Jimbo
13-11-2014, 21:28
Sold

Didn't think it would last long Steve:) Those early Croft amps will go on for years and need to be cherished, one day I think Croft equipment will become classics and they will be even more highly sort after especially as they are point to point hand wired and can easily be repaired and serviced. I would not be surprised if his amps will be around in another 50 years time as some of the old Quads are!

I would be very interested to know how you get on with the series 7 monos Steve as I am thinking of this route myself.

worrasf
13-11-2014, 21:44
Didn't think it would last long Steve:) Those early Croft amps will go on for years and need to be cherished, one day I think Croft equipment will become classics and they will be even more highly sort after especially as they are point to point hand wired and can easily be repaired and serviced. I would not be surprised if his amps will be around in another 50 years time as some of the old Quads are!

I would be very interested to know how you get on with the series 7 monos Steve as I am thinking of this route myself.

Thanks James - in an ideal world I'd have kept the S4s but I made a deal with myself that in order to get new kit I have to move the older stuff on.
I am really pleased with the 7 monos - fast, detailed, controlled and very musical. I asked GC's advice ref 7 monos or a 7R and he suggested the monos. I've recently acquired a Croft MC headamp which now I have a pair of NOS Siemens CCa's installed has transformed my vinyl experience so it's hard to say how much the improvement is down to the monos but I have (for the time being) reached as stage where I no longer hanker after upgrading and changing kit which has to say something

Jimbo
14-11-2014, 12:47
Thanks James - in an ideal world I'd have kept the S4s but I made a deal with myself that in order to get new kit I have to move the older stuff on.
I am really pleased with the 7 monos - fast, detailed, controlled and very musical. I asked GC's advice ref 7 monos or a 7R and he suggested the monos. I've recently acquired a Croft MC headamp which now I have a pair of NOS Siemens CCa's installed has transformed my vinyl experience so it's hard to say how much the improvement is down to the monos but I have (for the time being) reached as stage where I no longer hanker after upgrading and changing kit which has to say something

Quite rare MC headamps from Mr Croft as he does not really build these anymore although maybe as a special request.
What speakers are you driving with the mono,s?

worrasf
14-11-2014, 13:45
What speakers are you driving with the mono,s?

Epos M22i's